Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next step up from Silvia...

Hi All,

First post from a very long term lurker... sorry.

I often see questions posted that I think I can answer however there are by far too many clever coffee experts here to provide feedback before I.

Question - Have done the 6910 thing for about 8 months fairly successfully (thanks to this place and Andys beans) and am ready to move up. Please dont flame me but the Silvia doesnt do it for me and I am looking for the next step up (beyond the Silvia). I would still like to stay within the bounds of this midrange bracket if possible... Seems to be very little written here (that stands out) of other machines in this ballpark. Living in NQ servicing/repairs is a problem therefore I am really after something historically reliable, if not bulletproof. Perhaps an impossible ask... Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated guys.

Cheers.

Re: Next step up from Silvia...

If youre looking to stay in the single boiler range, I dont know of too many options in the same price range as the Silvia.

Id suggest browsing some of the sponsors post and/or their web pages to get an idea. Theres bound to be other options, I just think the Silvia gets a lot of press as it is a fairly popular one.

What grinder are you using?
    Are you planning to upgrade that grinder as well?

One thing I would say though, if you could stretch your machine budget to around $1500, this is a pretty impressive special IMO:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211848740

Comment

What is it you dont like about the Silvia? As FB, what sort of grinder are you using now and are you looking to upgrade that also?
      Most importantly, what is your budget?

I have a bit of a love affair with the Nemox Dell Opera
      http://coffeemachine.com.au/nemox-dell-opera-p-106.html?osCsid=502331cb30c017f7f1dbfb282d9031f0
      If youre looking in the same price range as the Siliva this is outstanding value as it includes a quality grinder. I own a Quaha Napoletana II and about to get a Mokita Combi (both second hand from CS members). All 3 are the same machine sold under different names.

I also have an EM6910 and believe this machine consistently produces a better shot. Even though the Quaha is over 5 years old.

Comment

Is it the single boiler, or the cosmetics of the silvia?
        If its because its limited to 4-6 milk coffees, then be prepared to bump up the budget a fair bit to overcome this.

Comment

If I had $1500, Id be calling Jetblack.

Try talking to the sponsors via the shotgun e-mail and see what they can offer for your budget.

Comment

Hi & welcome Sambo
            what is your budget for machine only

But while I await your reply
            A good HX machine is the Bezzera BZ99 @ just under 2 K
            Built for reliability

KK

Comment

One that doesnt get much press coverage on here, Nuova Simonelli. Its a HX machine at or about your budget. Whether or not this is a step up from the 6910 in terms of drink quality / reliability I have no idea.

I would think that if you are used to the 6910, going to a single purpose machine (shot, then wait for steam) would be a pain in the arse in the long run (ofcourse, I assume you do predominantly milk drinks, if not, then something like the VBM piccolo would be a good upgrade).

Comment

You guys are quick  8-)

Answers - Grinder atm is an 048 but it will go soon after I decide on and purchase the machine. Did the mod early on and it has been good but I am keen to upgrade this based on peoples experiences and advice here...

Rest assured I have looked at most of the site sponsor sites here and I am quite willing to purchase from south and most likely from one of these guys.

I have no major beef with the Silvia (Ive never used one so i would be goose to criticise) but asthetics wise it doesnt excite me and the whole PID thing or surf till you get it just right seems a pain. These are just my
                own thoughts and by no means a shot at the product or those lucky people who have one at home on their bench.

Re the boiler vs HX questions I will admit being a gas sniffer I have a preference for latter configuration machine, however this is not a biggie.

Use is mainly 2-3 milk coffees at a time and occasionally "lots" when I have free-loaders on deck.  :P Quality appeals to me in lieu of quantity, both in hardware and end result.

I suppose where I am heading here is to upgrade to a point where i wont even have to think about it again for many, many years.
                Unfortunately the Sunbeam as good as it has been to so far, I dont think is this machine.
                I am happy to push to 2k if it means I achieve this, but now I ve said that I will get into trouble for posting in the wrong category...

Thankyou so far your welcomes (even though I have been here a long while) and your advice and links. All is being absorbed with great interest.

Cheers.

Comment

Oh and a gas sniffer is a fridgie by the way.... :-[

Comment

Hi sambo200.
                    I would say from your reply that you should be looking at a quality double boiler or HX machine. They will set you back $2K-$3K, but it will be money well spent and you wont need to upgrade again if you buy well.
                    Dont forget a good grinder too to go with it.
                    All the best with your search.

Cheers,
                    Alan

Comment

The step up from a Silvia is the same boiler/steam configuration but a higher quality brew head, such as a VBM Piccolo, but these are not really meant for more than two or three milk drinks at a time, and doing a half-dozen or more will take extra cool down/warm up time as you will need to refill the boiler after the first milk steam.

Your requirements really seem to put you into the HX range, and $2K is really the lower end, although not necessarily in quality.

BTW--the mechanics of these machines are reasonably simple, just like a fridge!

Greg

Comment

Sambo, just so as you know, not all of us Silvia owners have modded, pidded or whatevered them... ;D

My Silvia is quite the stock standard concourse machine with none of the above and is still able to make me a very good coffee. Mind you, I have learnt how to use it properly as well. Which kind of goes without saying really.

But what the others have told you is pretty right. There is not much else in this price range, so you may have to consider stepping up further.

Comment

Originally posted by 382A262924797B7B4B0 link=1246584807/8#8 date=1246615230
                          Phew! Thats a relief... Had visions of you as Plumber/Gas-fitter lying back with a tube stuck up your left nostril. Welcome to CoffeeSnobs sambo.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 0D20242825490 link=1246584807/12#12 date=1246681573
                            Originally posted by 382A262924797B7B4B0 link=1246584807/8#8 date=1246615230
                            Phew! Thats a relief... Had visions of you as Plumber/Gas-fitter lying back with a tube stuck up your left nostril. Welcome to CoffeeSnobs sambo.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

So those young ones sniffing stuff from bottles and plastic bags are all Fridgies ?? ;D

Sorry... Back on topic.

Welcome to CS.

Comment

Greg, advice noted thankyou. And I have been called worse than simple  
                              Scoota gal, I have no doubt a standard Silvia or a "pimped" same makes an awesome espresso in this right hands. Just put me down as a fussy bugga.

And LOL! to the other comments. I am sure a few of my apprentices over the years have met your description AM, but not all...  8-)

Make and model specific suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X