First domestic espresso machine purchase Rancilio Silvia vs Sunbeam em6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First domestic espresso machine purchase Rancilio Silvia vs Sunbeam em6910

Hi, Im new to the world of coffee, so please be patient with me. I have spent the last few weeks searching on this forum plus google regarding which machine would be best suited to my needs.

I need a great latte, 3-4 times per day, and the capability to make up to 4 milk based coffees when visitors drop by.

The steam component of the machine is just as important as making a great shot, and Ive heard the Sunbeam EM6910 is not so great in the frothing departing. However, its also important to be able to make several lattes at a time when Im entertaining, which Ive heard the Rancilio Silvia, with its single boiler, will not make possible.

Is there another machine entirely that will better serve my needs?

I dont need the machine to last me 10 years, its just my guinea pig to practise this artform on. I plan to upgrade after 3-5 years. Im not a barista, just a novice and new coffee enthusiast, but I will gladly put in the time and effort required to master this art.

Regarding the grinder, Ive heard much conflicting info. Am I better off with the Rocky Doser or Rocky Doserless? Or should I steer clear of both and head straight for the Compak K3- Touch?

My max budget is $1500 for the espresso machine and grinder together.

I live in Melbourne and also need some advice on where to buy fresh beans and accessories.

I look forward to some much needed advice.

Re: First domestic espresso machine purchase Rancilio Silvia vs Sunbeam em6910

Originally posted by 5B74747B787F76767F2A232B281A0 link=1247073705/0#0 date=1247073705
    Ive heard the Sunbeam EM6910 is not so great in the frothing departing.
    Id have to disagree with that. Im able to get a very smooth microfoam happening.......that being said, im able to do the same on my mates $130 Breville machine.

A lot of it comes down to technique.

Comment

You are lucky in Melbourne, there are several site sponsors found over <<<<========= thataway that are passionate and knowledgeable to give you some suggestions that will see you right.

Ill throw in a vote for the Silvia / Rocky combo.

Whilst I have a 6910 / 480 myself at home, and have never used either of the other 2, reading through the problems that people seem to have had with their 6910s (touch wood, not mine yet) your 3 - 5 year estimate before upgrading may be at the outer edge of the 6910s life span.

In regards to making 4 drinks at a time, the Silvia can apparantly do that, but you wouldnt want too many more than that.

Sen

Comment

Im able to make 4 milk based drinks on my Quaha Napoleta II (aka Nemox Dell Opera). This machine has the same size boiler as the Silvia and has a built-in Lux grinder (see sponsor’s website: Coffee Machine Express, on left side of page).

Making 4 coffees means pouring 2 double shots which is not an issue on this machine.
        I find there’s enough grunt to steam milk for 4 coffees, particularly if you empty some water from the boiler to increase the head space i.e. more steam, less water.
        If you want to make any more than 4 over a short space of time you’ll need a HX or double boiler machine.

To make life easier I pre-heat cups using hot water from a kettle. I then pour the shots, 2 at a time before frothing the milk (you’ll need at least a 1L frothing jug).

I also have a EM6910/EM0480 and agree with Willsy’s comments that the milk texturing isn’t too bad; pretty similar to the above machine although they require different technique. The process to make 4 coffees on this combo is essentially the same as above although I find the 480 grinder takes considerably longer than the Lux grinder. With the Lux grinder I grind on demand, whereas with the 480 I would pre-grind enough for all 4 coffees.

I’ve never used the Silvia but for your budget I think it would be hard to beat the Silvia/Rocky combo. In that price range these are the only other options AFAIK:

Sunbeam EM6910 $799
        Breville BES820 $549
        Breville BES860 $799
        Nemox Fenice $579
        Nemox Dell Opera $799

The prices are RRP and you could definitely get better deals on the Sunbeam/Breville machines. Of these I’d only recommend the Nemox machines. They are essentially the same except the Dell Opera has a built-in Lux grinder.

For your budget you could get yourself a Nemox Fenice and Mazzer Mini Manual. The Nemox machine should easily last you 5 years (my Quaha is 5 years old and going strong) and you will never have upgrade your grinder. You will have enough left over for a decent tamper.

Comment

Just for the record I pulled about 60 shots and steamed milk with my SB6910 over avout a 2 hr period. a little slow but it did it.
          I think it is a capable machine (appliance) that in 2 days is one yoear old and shows no signs of slowing down. We do an avaeage of 25-30 shots a week and in the 12 month period the machine has paid for its self.
          I like my SB6910 and EM0480 grinder.
          Regards
          Crisp Image

Comment

Originally posted by 5F6E756F6C4375717D7B791C0 link=1247073705/4#4 date=1247104306
            Just for the record I pulled about 60 shots and steamed milk with my SB6910 over avout a 2 hr period. a little slow but it did it.
            I think it is a capable machine (appliance) that in 2 days is one yoear old and shows no signs of slowing down. We do an avaeage of 25-30 shots a week and in the 12 month period the machine has paid for its self.
            I like my SB6910 and EM0480 grinder.
            Regards
            Crisp Image
            The twin thermoblocks certainly do come in handy for those situations. I served ~25 coffees at my sons birthday recently and the SB coped very well.

My main reason for not recommending the SB is that there seems to be an overwhelming concern on this site about the longevity of the machine. Whether thats justified or not, I dont know. Mine is less than a year old and doiing just fine, although it only makes about 10 cups per week. Annabelle is after something which will last up to 5 years.

My work colleague has the new Breville BES860 and has been having build quality issues. He had to have the first one replaced as the grinder dosing didnt work. The pressure gauge on the second machine was broken. Third time lucky I guess.

Comment

Thanks for the info and advice guys. Im leaning more towards the Silvia/ Rocky combo, but Im still puzzled regarding whether I should get the Rock Doser or Doserless???

Up until a month ago, I knew nothing about the world of coffee, except that I love a good latte... now Im overwhelmed with info and feeling a little out of my league.

Im sorry if the grinder question may sense dense to some, but I really would like to hear from people regarding their experience from these 2 variations of the Rocky.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Annabelle,

Try reading the thread below. I think it will come down to personal preference:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1178017304

Comment

Thanks for the link caffeine junky, it was very helpful.

Ok, so what Ive learnt is a doser is less messy, however ground coffee tends to remain and is sometimes difficult to clean...

Doserless gives you a fresher grind, but is very messy and can cause loss of flavour due to oveheating blades. Am I right?

So if Im using the doser, can I leave the beans in the grinder, or do I just add beans when I need to grind? From what I read, the doserless allows you to leave beans in, but the doser needs a new refill each time you dose. Is that right?

Comment

Annabelle my preference is dosered.
                    Reason being it is more versatile (as well as less messy).

You can use a dosered grinder to grind for one shot at a time but you cant use a doserless grinder to grind for a few shots at the one time unless you grind into a container, in which case IMO you might as well have chosen a dosered one.

As far as grinds left behind in the doser, that would depend on the grinder.
                    Some sweep a lot cleaner than others.
                    Some leave almost nothing behind; others make you wonder.

In the long run though, as CJ said, it will come down to personal preference.

Comment

FWIW Annabelle, I have a doserless grinder and if (when) I upgrade Ill most likely go for a doser model.

With both doser or doserless you can leave beans in the hopper OR you can add the amount of beans you need each time.  I guess one reason is that a hopper is not the ideal place to store your beans.

Another reason is that with a doser grinder you cannot judge how much to grind - keeping in mind your grinding into the doser, not into your basket.  Grind too little and you have to grind again....grind too much and you end up wasting coffee.  This isnt an issue with a doserless model as you can grind on demand directly into your basket.

Comment

Originally posted by 21202A392722384B0 link=1247073705/10#10 date=1247125627
                        Another reason is that with a doser grinder you cannot judge how much to grind - keeping in mind your grinding into the doser, not into your basket.  Grind too little and you have to grind again....grind too much and you end up wasting coffee.  This isnt an issue with a doserless model as you can grind on demand directly into your basket.
                        Id disagree with that.

There is no reason not to free dose with a doser grinder and with a little practise, it can be done with minimal waste. Turn on click like crazy until you have sufficient coffee and then switch off. The key is to be ahead of the grinder rather than behind it. Another bonus is that any coffee brushed off can go back into the doser to be used for top up if required.

As TG correctly mentioned, a doser grinder allows you the opportunity to multitask and can even be claibrated to drop a set amount (doser must be at least 50% full). You just have to learn a skill

FWIW, I dont rate the doser Rocky. You need to be at Mazzer mini or similar level to get a good doser.

2mcm

Comment

So thats why baristas click like crazy when Im watching YouTube videos....I just thought they had too much cafffeine in their system!

Personally I enjoy taking my time making coffee and savouring the ritual of it all. If I start clicking like made to stay ahead of the grinder itd feel like being back behind a commercial machine again.

Comment

Hi Annabelle,

Ive had a doserless Rocky and liked the way it worked compared to a doser. When I upgraded from the Rocky I went doserless again.

If you can, get to a sponsor, and try both. Both dosered and doserless grind the same and heat (or not) the beans the same--its only in the delivery of the grounds that they differ, and this is very much a personal choice dependent on the way you make coffee.

I never store beans in the hopper, I measure each dose of whole beans and grind until the machine is empty.

Id suggest the above tactic for choosing a machine--try a couple out, talk a lot, ask questions.

At the very least a telephone call to a sponsor will help. They are all coffee-mad (as are the rest of us) and determined to be helpful.

Greg

Comment

Annabelle u have an exciting jpurneyahead of u!!
                              Both the 6910 & Silvia r good machines. The Silvia will last longer andresale is better. The downside is making multiple coffees is a little more time consuming but IMHO the end product is better.

The Rocky is a great bulletproof grinder built like a tank. Have the doser version and with a small mod of some tape on the swipping blades it leaves almost no grind behind. It is cleaner and u can grind what u need while getting everything else ready. I only put in the hopper and grind on demand/ what I need. Dont leave beans in hopper thy go stale quicker.
                              I love them both!

Comment

Working...
                              X