Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 Tips????

Hey guys,

I just got a 6910 from the good guys for $694 with 5 year warranty and an 0480 grinder for $175. I watched the video but i cant seem to get it right. I am using the single non-prssurised basket and following the video exactly. Everytime, the gauge goes too high and the coffee pours very slowly. I am tamping it the way the video says so i dont think thats the problem. I am using stale beans from GJs so i know its not going to be perfect, but i have to have the grinder set on 18/19 to even get a decent pour. Is it ok to have the setting this high??? Also when should i start messing with the setting i.e tempreture. I have no idea what the changes will do so i dont want to fiddle with it. Anyone got any tips???

Cheers

Re: EM6910 Tips????

If you are getting a pour, but just too slow, then make the grind coarser a step or so at a time until the pour is right. You are close.

BTW--the usual advice is to put the single basket in the kitchen drawer and leave it there, the double is more reliable and easy to use.

The numbers on the grinder are "science fiction", when the pour is right, the numbers are correct (rather than the other way around). If you cant adjust the grinder any further there are Sunbeam instructions here about adding or subtracting washers under the bottom burr to make it right.

Greg

Comment

Ok i guess i should just use my senses to gauge it rather than what the machines say. (Stupid Question) If im using the double then should i only fill it half way as i dont want a double shot.

Comment

Hi metro,

Be patient, youll get there.

Firstly what you want to do is eliminate as many variables as possible.

1. Tamping pressure - get your bathroom scales out and tamp on top of them. You should be tamping at around 15kg. Eventually youll get a good feel for how much you need to tamp and wont need them anymore.

2. Be consistent with how much youre filling the basket with ground coffee. Some people go to the trouble of using a fine balance to weigh the beans before grinding. You dont need to go to this extreme, just make sure the basket is filled to approximately the same level each time. You want to aim for the coffee level to be ~3mm below the rim after tamping.

3. Put the single basket to the side and start with the double unpressurised basket. Single baskets are a pain.
        Once youve mastered the double and got a good feel for the machine, you can try the single again.

4. Get some fresh roasted beans!

If you do the above then you can concentrate on varying the grind size without worrying about other factors changing too much.

Comment

Always fill the basket right up.  
          Place a cup under only one spout (yes youre wasting half your coffee).
          A double shot should run at around 60ml in ~25 seconds. You could always run a shorter 30ml shot from the double basket, known as a ristretto.

Comment

Originally posted by 383933203E3B21520 link=1247139604/4#4 date=1247140431
            Always fill the basket right up.  
            Yes.

If you dont want a double, there are options:
            Drink a double anyway.
            Drink ristrettos--same grounds as a double, same water as a single, roughly same caffeine as a single, flavour as a double.
            Pour half away.
            Give half to a friend.
            Put half in fridge for iced coffee later.
            Get single basket out and drink poorer coffee!!!!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 454D5C5A477742474B435B280 link=1247139604/2#2 date=1247140275
              Ok i guess i should just use my senses to gauge it rather than what the machines say. (Stupid Question) If im using the double then should i only fill it half way as i dont want a double shot.

Plenty of reading for you..

1: Go here - http://www.home-barista.com/resources.html OR here http://www.home-barista.com/howtos.html?sid=649fe325900c9dc981eba359fd386e8d

Then trawl the CS 6910 posts..  A few weeks reading for you

1: Search and read 5cent piece and also Sweet spot -  This is All to do with dosing..  

2: The EM works best with a Double basket - Non Pressurised = lots of holes and light when ya look through it.

3: FRESH BEANS... Any thing else will trap you...

DO THE SUNBEAM TRAINING...

Comment

Given Sunbeams recent attitude, might be best to call them for some advice ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 114E56404B404C454546464E424D230 link=1247139604/7#7 date=1247141589
                  Given Sunbeams recent attitude, might be best to call them for some advice  ;D
                  I hear Andys got a good contact at Sunbeam.

Comment

Originally posted by 61606A796762780B0 link=1247139604/8#8 date=1247141701
                    Originally posted by 114E56404B404C454546464E424D230 link=1247139604/7#7 date=1247141589
                    Given Sunbeams recent attitude, might be best to call them for some advice  ;D
                    I hear Andys got a good contact at Sunbeam.
                    GOLD!!! Lets all send him an email requesting assistance- and schematics so we can fix what they cant ;D

Comment

Oh boy...

This just keeps getting better and better...

;D ;D

Comment

oO....

Dear Welly,

I have 99 friends all of whom were going to join me and purchase one of your 6910 cafe series espresso machines in a bulk purchase tomorrow...

This machine was covered in much detail on an Australian web forum called CoffeeSnobs...

Sadly, it seems that all resources for your machine have been removed and I no longer have the confidence to purchase Sunbeam.

My friends and I will be purchasing 100 units of Nespresso tomorrow...

Yours etc...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 174850464D464A4343404048444B250 link=1247139604/11#11 date=1247143221
                          oO....

Dear Welly,

I have 99 friends all of whom were going to join me and purchase one of your 6910 cafe series espresso machines in a bulk purchase tomorrow...

This machine was covered in much detail on an Australian web forum called CoffeeSnobs...

Sadly, it seems that all resources for your machine have been removed and I no longer have the confidence to purchase Sunbeam.

My friends and I will be purchasing 100 units of Nespresso tomorrow...

Yours etc...

2mcm

Yep - I hear Aldi is having a big sale!!! ;D

Comment

The hell with it all, lets just dust off the plungers and set the grind to coarse!

Seriously though, to the OP theres a stack of good info on here. Summary for me was set the temperature setting for the 6910 as high as itll go, and get the time between pump actuations shorter by a step or two for a bit more steam volume if youre having trouble. Grind fresh, dose well and tamp correctly. Use the double basket and not the single (I drink doubles anyway...).

You should have around 3mm between the top of the basket and the coffee once tamped. For me this is a fill and tap-tap-tap of the grouphead three times before tamping. My tamping isnt an art, but its a consistent tamp so I can work off it - aim for consistency so you know when something makes a difference. Try starting a bit coarse and working finer with the same tamp until you get something you like. If you go too far, go back a notch and tamp a bit harder.

Cheers and good luck - boingk

Comment

Rule #1 - Do the training.

Rule #2 - Do the training.

Rule #3 - DO THE TRAINING

Its the best way to learn how to use the machine correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X