EM6910 - Cleaning behind Shower Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 - Cleaning behind Shower Screen

Does anyone remove the screen regularly to clean it?

I imagine it would be too easy to damage the screen if not done carefully :-[

How often should it be done for cleaning if at all - the manual mentions removing it for descaling only :-/

Re: EM6910 - Cleaning behind Shower Screen

Originally posted by 416660676A130 link=1247262956/0#0 date=1247262956
    Does anyone remove the screen regularly to clean it?

I imagine it would be too easy to damage the screen if not done carefully  :-[

How often should it be done for cleaning if at all - the manual mentions removing it for descaling only  :-/

I did it about monthly...

WHY ?

Because at 3 months it was way to dirty and black with fines... And I make a lot of coffee :-)

WHY?
    Because I used a very find grind and a light tamp and up dosed etc...

I would suggest Fit for Purpose...  Take it off and check... Depending on the amount of crap, adjust you cleaning time frame to suit..

HINTs:

1:  Do not over tighten the screw when the system is warm / hot when putting back together.

2: Use a brush and make sure teh inner head is clean of any grinds and then clean out with a cloth... Then flush once or twice.

4: Turn the machine off

5: I use a mild mix of Cafeeto to then wash / clean the filters / Seal / and baskets. Warning..  Do not put the screw in teh container and then tip every thing down the sink...  This is very off putting and gives every one a chance to point the finger at you....  So I am told  :-[

6: Let it all dry.

7: Refit the seal and baskets when teh 6910 is cool...  The screw is to be firm but not over tight!!!

If ya put it in when the screw is cold and teh head is warm and over tighten...  Then you can cause problems later on.

A 10 min job...  Unless you loose teh screw  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 67484143546B47484741434B434852260 link=1247262956/1#1 date=1247264229
      Warning..Do not put the screw in teh container and then tip every thing down the sink...
      Nothing worse than a coffesnob with a screw loose or lost

Comment

I also did it about once a month - chemical backflush/clean one fortnight, remove shower screen and clean the second fortnight in between. I did it by mistake the first time because I was having a bit of a poke around trying to work out the purpose of something and couldnt believe how much junk was in behind the shower screen despite doing its monthly clean. After that, after AM telling me he did it regularly too, I started doing it on a regular basis. It didnt matter how much I did it, it still managed to have gunk in there, so I would recommend it also.

I also think its a good opportunity to keep an eye on the blue seal and make sure its not perishing.

Follow AMs tips about (especially about the screw and losing/over tightening it!). Also make sure that you sit the blue seal back in correctly. There was one time I didi it and manged to seat the shower screen in a bit off centre on the seal and found I was getting a lot of leaking from the group head when pulling a shot. It turned out the shower head had opened a little gap in the seal and was letting water through so I took it all apart, reseated it and it was fine again afterwards.

Cheers
        Di

Comment

Thanks AM & Di.

Once again sound advice from real users

Comment

Some following question.
            When I took off the shower screen and try to clean it, I found there are lot of hole have been blocked.
            The the clean material Sunbeam offer can not get through it either.
            Is there any suggestion that I can clean these blocked hole of shower screen?
            I have read some people said it need to be replaced regularly, since I dont know where to buy at this moment, I prefer clean it first before I can get a replacement.

Cheers
            Colin

Comment

Hi Colin

Your best bet is to soak it for a little while (ie; 5 minutes) in the Espresso Cleaner (I used Caffetto) and then get stuck into it with a toothbrush. This should open up most of the holes.

Cheers
              Di

Comment

Originally posted by 616D6E6B6C75676C020 link=1247262956/5#5 date=1247450468
                When I took off the shower screen and try to clean it, I found there are lot of hole have been blocked.
                Colin,

youll find that some of the blocked holes are actually not blocked, but the machining process has not fully cut them out. Flip it over and inspect the holes from both sides and youll see what I mean.

Comment

Cheers Hoyks and ACog,
                  I am trying to find the cleaner around the city I live (Townsville), but end up no shop really offer the accessory of espresso machine.
                  I may have to order on line.

Yes Acog, I know what you mean, there is some special radiative or flower shape on the shower screen, unfortunately mine is only half open...

I will try to use the dish detergent with toothbrush to clean them this weekend to see what happen before I can get a coffee cleaner.

Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X