Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Hey peoples, so my 6910 is approx 18 months old and does on average I would say 1 espresso every day.

    3 days ago the pressure dial/gauge made sort of a little click sound and now doesnt move at all. When pouring an espresso the pump also sounds a little different than normal and when you stop a pour, there used to a little let off of pressure, but now there is nothing.
    The look and pour out of the head still looks normal, but the coffee is now quite bitter/sour and the puck is no longer tight,dry and compressed. It falls apart easily.

    Suggestions please?

  • #2
    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Originally posted by 767A696F6972631B0 link=1249003655/0#0 date=1249003655
    Hey peoples, so my 6910 is approx 18 months old and does on average I would say 1 espresso every day.

    3 days ago the pressure dial/gauge made sort of a little click sound and now doesnt move at all. When pouring an espresso the pump also sounds a little different than normal and when you stop a pour, there used to a little let off of pressure, but now there is nothing.
    The look and pour out of the head still looks normal, but the coffee is now quite bitter/sour and the puck is no longer tight,dry and compressed. It falls apart easily.

    Suggestions please?
    Drop it into the the Brisbane meet up and we can all have a look...

    Errrr

    1: If the gauge has broken inside, as in teh needle; it should not cause any problems.

    2: If the fine copper tube has let go, then it will vent and this could lead to any number of issues.

    If your handy with ya hands and a few tools... It is easy to check... But may not be so easy to fix. It will all depend on what you find...

    You will need to remove teh back door, the cover from the electrics etc and then using a special star driver remove the safety screw - Top Right. Then remove the side pannel. 2 screws underneath.

    NOTE: All this to be done with the power cord un plugged and switched OFF.


    If it all looks ok and no water spray etc, then have a close look at the fine capillary tube from teh Top R/H side that will coil and snake down to the gauge.. Be gentle, and you can just flex it a bit and if intact... Then looks like a Gauge issue.

    The other things your experiencing could be then due to any number of problems..

    DO NOT switch it on with teh covers removed... That would be dangerous, unless your Qualified and have the right safety gear and processes in place.

    OR...

    You could drop it into a service agent..

    OR

    An experienced CS person may be in your area and able to offer some assistance.

    OR

    Bring it withyou when you come to Brisbane..


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

      Originally posted by 1B343D3F28173B343B3D3F373F342E5A0 link=1249003655/1#1 date=1249006476
      Originally posted by 767A696F6972631B0 link=1249003655/0#0 date=1249003655
      Hey peoples, so my 6910 is approx 18 months old and does on average I would say 1 espresso every day.

      3 days ago the pressure dial/gauge made sort of a little click sound and now doesnt move at all. When pouring an espresso the pump also sounds a little different than normal and when you stop a pour, there used to a little let off of pressure, but now there is nothing.
      The look and pour out of the head still looks normal, but the coffee is now quite bitter/sour and the puck is no longer tight,dry and compressed. It falls apart easily.

      Suggestions please?
      Drop it into the the Brisbane meet up and we can all have a look...

      Errrr  

      1: If the gauge has broken inside, as in teh needle; it should not cause any problems.

      2: If the fine copper tube has let go, then it will vent and this could lead to any number of issues.

      If your handy with ya hands and a few tools...  It is easy to check...  But may not be so easy to fix.  It will all depend on what you find...

      You will need to remove teh back door, the cover from the electrics etc and then using a  special star driver remove the safety screw - Top Right.   Then remove the side pannel.  2 screws underneath.

      NOTE: All this to be done with the power cord un plugged and switched OFF.


      If it all looks ok and no water spray etc, then have a close look at the fine capillary tube from teh Top R/H side that will coil and snake down to the gauge..  Be gentle, and you can just flex it a bit and if intact... Then looks like a Gauge issue.

      The other things your experiencing could be then due to any number of problems..

      DO NOT switch it on with teh covers removed...  That would be dangerous, unless your Qualified and have the right safety gear and processes in place.

      OR...

      You could drop it into a service agent..

      OR

      An experienced CS person may be in your area and able to offer some assistance.

      OR

      Bring it withyou when you come to Brisbane..

      cheers for the help. Do you think Virgin would let me  fit it in the overhead compartment on my way to Brisbane? :P

      I am very handy and was going to pull it apart and investigate. I did a little search and didnt find any help so I thought I might ask the question to give me some heads up before ripping in. Info like what youve given is what Im after. I have a set of Torx head drivers so I should have the right one.

      Any one else with some info feel free to chime in. Im gonna have to investigate real soon because I cant go without coffee for long.... :-/ Ill report back.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

        matrix,

        There was a service manual for these things floating around here somewhere...which might save you a service call to sunbeam...not sure where to find it these days though

        Another thing, when did you last do a chemical blackflush? It sounds like the pressure isnt being released when you cut the shot. Not sure if that would cause bitterness, but it would cause a soggy puck if youve dosed correctly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

          Originally posted by 505C4F494F54453D0 link=1249003655/2#2 date=1249007743
          I am very handy and was going to pull it apart and investigate. I did a little search and didnt find any help so I thought I might ask the question to give me some heads up before ripping in. Info like what youve given is what Im after. I have a set of Torx head drivers so I should have the right one.
          Do a search on me and look for Group Collar and or steam thermoblock..

          I posted some pics some time ago and that will assist you.
          Originally posted by 5C5E525A5A54534E3D0 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
          Another thing, when did you last do a chemical blackflush? It sounds like the pressure isnt being released when you cut the shot. Not sure if that would cause bitterness, but it would cause a soggy puck if youve dosed correctly.

          A good point there..

          While you think it may be related... The off shots could be the result of somthing else and it is just timing that means your seeing both items as being related..

          Let us know how you get on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

            ok cheers for the help. I did descale today with the vinegar solution but it only helped slightly. I need to get some of those tablets.

            Where or who do I contact for parts for this unit?

            I found your post, but the pics are a little small...I intend on ripping into it tonight. Im a little worried about reading about a worn out collar.

            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233294485

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

              Originally posted by 37353931313F3825560 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
              Another thing, when did you last do a chemical blackflush? It sounds like the pressure isnt being released when you cut the shot. Not sure if that would cause bitterness, but it would cause a soggy puck if youve dosed correctly.
              This was also my first thought - sounds like the three-way valve isnt going - which could be a failure or due to not following the cleaning schedule. If youve used it for 18 months without backflushing or descaling, your problem is likely to be gunked up three-way valve, showerscreen, group and pipes - which would also explain the funky flavour!

              OTOH, if you have followed the cleaning instructions and havent otherwise abused the machine - the fact that the manufacturers express warranty has expired doesnt affect your statutory rights under consumer protection law. ie if its faulty, theres every chance that legally youre entitled to have it fixed at the retailers expense.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                Originally posted by 46444840404E4954270 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
                There was a service manual for these things floating around here somewhere...
                I cant find one anywhere, not even google. Its been removed from here.

                Anyone got a copy?

                Ive got the side covers off but cant get the top off?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                  Originally posted by 535F4C4A4C57463E0 link=1249003655/7#7 date=1249023375
                  Originally posted by 46444840404E4954270 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
                  There was a service manual for these things floating around here somewhere...
                  I cant find one anywhere, not even google. Its been removed from here.

                  Anyone got a copy?

                  Ive got the side covers off but cant get the top off?
                  The manual is a parts manual and will not tell you.

                  Re read my instructions. TOP R/H side in the hole...

                  Here is pic guide but you do not need to do page 4 or any thing after page 6...

                  It is an old guide and wrong when it comes to the Knobs etc.




                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                    thanks for that, it was just the 2 knobs stopping it coming off. Now the investigationing begins!





                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                      Originally posted by 5D514244425948300 link=1249003655/9#9 date=1249025925
                      thanks for that, it was just the 2 knobs stopping it coming off. Now the investigationing begins!

                      Interesting bench and tools in the background...

                      When ya come up, bring some extra gear... I need to build some roll out drawers for the back of my Parado...


                      That way I can hide my beans and tools and just have the coffee machine on top

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                        he he ya Ive got lotsa tools, Im a cabinet maker by trade but into everything.


                        Heres what I think now. I think that theres probably nothing wrong with the pressure gauge. I think my collar may worn out. The GH seal looks to be in good condition, but the group handle swings all the way till it stops without too much effort so I think thats the reason its not building pressure?

                        So, I have a metal lathe, is it worth making up some spacers first before ordering a new collar? How thick 1, 2mm? less?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                          Originally posted by 3D312224223928500 link=1249003655/11#11 date=1249028070
                          he he ya Ive got lotsa tools, Im a cabinet maker by trade but into everything.


                          Heres what I think now. I think that theres probably nothing wrong with the pressure gauge. I think my collar may worn out. The GH seal looks to be in good condition, but the group handle swings all the way till it stops without too much effort so I think thats the reason its not building pressure?

                          So, I have a metal lathe, is it worth making up some spacers first before ordering a new collar? How thick 1, 2mm? less?
                          Bugger I want a mini lathe...   And the skills of a Cabinet Maker...  Would mean a weekend job rather than over a month... I hate doing drawers.


                          Sb have a space for the collar...  It is made from Silicon and is about 0.75 mm...

                          TG and others have made from a Cornflakes packet and it wil get yoy by.

                          WHEN DID YOU LAST REPLACE YOUR SEAL ?  (the Blue one)


                          1: A new Blue seal and a spacer should see you get another 12 months - with low usage..

                          2: The Group collar is about $53 from SB...    As you appear to know what your doing...  About an extra 20min to remove and fit a new one.

                          NOTE: I have a spare spacer... What I need is assistance with Page 1 of this
                          http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1268&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a


                          PM me your contact details and I will send down the spacer...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                            cool, I will PM you. I have never replaced my GH seal.


                            If it is due to a worn collar, and a spacer will fix that for a short time, does that mean the group handle should be leaking/dripping out around the edges? Cos its not. Is there somewhere else it could be loosing the pressure?



                            Anyone got a pic of the spacer, I wouldnt mind trying one this weekend?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

                              Originally posted by 414D5E585E45542C0 link=1249003655/13#13 date=1249029611
                              cool, I will PM you. I have never replaced my GH seal.


                              If it is due to a worn collar, and a spacer will fix that for a short time, does that mean the group handle should be leaking/dripping out around the edges? Cos its not. Is there somewhere else it could be loosing the pressure?

                              If what you say is true... Then ya seal will be SPLIT and NO spacer will fix that...

                              A: When did you last clean the shower screen ?

                              B: When did you replace the anti-calk filter or do a de scale ?

                              C: When did you last remove teh blue seal and clean up inside ????



                              If you have been longer than 3 months and none of the above done...  Then you forfit  your Metal Lathe...

                              Would you use a good quality chisel for two years and never clean / sharpen or store in a safe place ?????  NO...    Would you leave teh Chuck key in the chuck on teh lathe and think it a safe place to store the KEY - NO NO NO....

                              A coffee machine is the same- they need TLC..

                              Now when are you going to post the Lathe :-)

                              Do a bit of reading as there is lots on teh Worn collar issue..

                              1: Blue seal needs to be new..

                              2: Spacer will assist..

                              6:00 to 5:00 when locked in is OK.. If your moving to 4:00 worn..  If you get to 3:00 stuffed...

                              The spacer is as previously posted.... A pic will give you little info as it is just a washer... So to speak.

                              OD     2 and 3/4"    ID  2 and 1/4"   thickness = 0.75mm

                              NOTE: See above. Seal stuffed then spacer will not help.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X