Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

Originally posted by 3837265E0 link=1249003655/89#89 date=1249992003
    if the gauge doesnt work and the machine doesnt backflush
    then you have stuffed your machine full of coffee

no use pulling the machine apart or listening to so called ex spurts who  say its the pump or the 3 way solenoid or take it back to sunbeam and demand a new one

these people have no idea how this machine works

that is why sunbeam dont have every service centre trying to fix this machine

seeing a number of forums, where sunbeam em6910 have been replaced by some service centres, only show there should be less  service agents touching them

a lot of machines have been replaced because  lack of cleaning not because of faulty machines

CLEAN IT FIRST, it is probably your fault

at least 70 % of EM6910 machines we get for repair, are caused through lackoff, or no cleaning

graham
    Oh so true...

I am only aware of one or two of teh earlier ones that were replaced by the agent here in Brisbane.. In general they end up fixing the largest majority and the biggest issue is LACK of the required MAINTENANCE... And heavy handed operators....

On every EM6910 that I have seen as DEAD, unless a water spill and blown cct board, it has come down to crap in the system.. But it takes time to pull the system right down and clean it as required. If you were to ask, martrix how long it would take him from start to finish (now he has some experience) and to then put a true hrly charge on it and teh cost of parts... Many would be shocked...

On evil bay, there is a unit going that has been to a SB centre in Brisbane, and not the one that I know is Authorised to do repairs. Quoted $250 to get working... I bet its just a cleaning issue, but people will buy a new machine rather than pay half teh price of a new machine..
    Disposable society...

Further more if you think the EM6910 has issues, then many have even more issues with teh Auto machines... The issue that saves them in some respect is that after a time/ number of uses the software demands a cleaning!!! However when they have a problem it takes time and $$$

I know of a few people that take there unit in every 6 months for a service... Now at 250 to 350 a year for servicing... It sort of misses the mark for me... But they are happy...

Comment

Originally posted by 69464F4D5A654946494F4D454D465C280 link=1249003655/87#87 date=1249714645
      Group handle done, and made from drift wood...
      and here tis. Im pretty sure its a piece of Camphor Laurel by the smell when I sanded it.

Filled the grub holes with a black-tinted 2pac filler and gave it some spit shine. I had to clean up the threads a little so it would screw into the group handle. :-[ Whats holding the threaded rod in AM?

Comment

Originally posted by 3B372422243F2E560 link=1249003655/91#91 date=1257659018
        Originally posted by 69464F4D5A654946494F4D454D465C280 link=1249003655/87#87 date=1249714645
        Group handle done, and made from drift wood...
        and here tis. Im pretty sure its a piece of Camphor Laurel by the smell when I sanded it.

Filled the grub holes with a black-tinted 2pac filler and gave it some spit shine. I had to clean up the threads a little so it would screw into the group handle. :-[ Whats holding the threaded rod in AM?

I am sure it is Camphor Laurel as well but was deep in a sand dune a bit back from the beach on Morton Island - Surf side.

I use two types of thread in general - Metric and Withworth seem to be the most common...

Some of these come as furniture studs the rest as threaded bar, which I then grind and machine to allow a solid fit.

If I remember correctly I did get caught with an EM a little while ago... And I could have with you as well... I think it is an issue with 3/8 Vs 8mm but can not be sure as I no longer have a EM6910 group at home... Thus MY mistake... Sorry about that.... :-[

It looks great...

I just need to get out and collect some more bush timber... Make a few more and then do the thread to suit as a job by job basis. I drill to suit the thread so that it cuts into the wood a little and then remove the thread add some pva glue and then screw the thread back in.

Regards

AM

Comment

Thanks for the discussion and photos - I got my 6910 working this morning (in around 4 hours) after having similar problems. It ended up being the junk in the section of copper pipe between the thermoblock and prv. Cleaned it with a small piece of wire and caffeto.

Comment

Hi, I located this blog after googling for a lack of pressure when making a coffee, and back flushing on my EM6910.  Ive already swapped the old cracked blue silicon seal (which didnt fix my problem), so the next step is for me to replace the collar, I think.  Anyway I know have a new collar, and not much of a clue on how to disassemble the machine....If anyone has these instructions I would be very keen to get a hold of them..thanks in advance...

Comment

Answered my own question, just found the disassembly PDF...thanks

Comment

I purchased a used 6910 with the gauge not working and the PRV not working.  It ended up being a simple blockage in the copper pipe between the PRV and group outlet, just downstream of the 90degree brass fitting.

I tried soaking overnight with coffee cleaner, poking and prodding etc with little success.  I eventually got it cleared by repeated cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner using a concentrated coffee cleaning solution and repeatedly poking/prodding.

After the pipe was cleared, the machine works a treat!!

Thanks to everyone for all the info on this forum, made the task relatively straightforward!!

Cheers

Comment

Mmm interesting thread. I am looking at buying a second hand one and notice that there are a few out there with the gauge not working. Thinking I may pick one up for a steal and play to get it working again. You give me courage to do so ;D

Comment

Hi guys,

This topic is 4 years old but I've found the info is very helpful. Thanks to matrix and A_M

I too, am having problems with the gauge my EM6910 machine. I've followed matrix and A_M instructions, pulled a part and cleaned all 5 copper pipes and the solenoid valve. However, the pressure is still very weak. I can see the gauge lifted up just a weeney bit and dropped. There is not enough pressure to even have dripping coffee from the shower screen .

Which other area should i look at?

Thanks guys.

Comment

• Hi Dieu
                      It sounds like you could have a problem with the water pump or,less likely, a blockage in the water heating thermoblock.
                      I would suggest that you try clamping/squeezing the bypass (pressure relief) hose which comes out horizontally from the top of the (red) water pump. You may even be able to see the water being pumped out of this when it is pumping under pressure i.e. with the cleaning disk in the group handle.
                      Just remember to keep hands and tools clear of any mains wiring if operating the machine with the covers off.
                      If this is stuck open or has muck under the valve seat it could be preventing the pressure from building up.
                      While I have not had a water pump apart I would assume it is similar to the steam pump - when you unscrew the slotted plug just remember to count the number of turns so that you don't have to recalibrate it when replacing.
                      There was a recent post in this section on doing this with the steam pump which should give you a guide.
                      Hope this helps
                      Trev

Hope this help

Comment

Working...
                      X