Rancilio Silvia - noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia - noob questions

My shiny new Rancilio Silvia arrived yesterday!  I have been working on my coffee technique for about 6 months, but have only had a Sunbeam burr grinder & a cheapo domestic machine until now.  I went through 250g of beans before I got two decent cups, but I am happy with the machine so far.

Questions:
    • Can anyone tell me why it has two water inlet pipes (2008 model)? One is easy to manage, but the other is short and wont stay on the bottom of the tank.
    • I want to start making quality coffee.  What is the best shot size & coffee cup size to use?

Thanks in advance

Re: Rancilio Silvia - noob questions

Gday tts,

And welcome to CoffeeSnobs!

1. The short tube is the return from the overpressure valve. This valve keeps the pressure into the coffee at the required amount by diverting excess water back into the tank. It doesnt need to go to the bottom of the tank cause water comes out of it!

2. Use the double basket, dose right, and make the shot size and cup size that taste best to you. A search of the site will give you lots of tips, but the best tip is "its whats in the cup that counts".

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg, those are very helpful answers.  tts,  hmmm, I like that

Its interesting you say to use the double basket.  On my old (small) machine I never bothered with the single basket.  I just made a single shot from the double every time.  With this new one I am not sure as I like a strong cup but I want to make sure I am making the best coffee possible (at my skill level).  Would you suggest making two full shots from the double basket and pouring them both in to my mug?

Comment

Originally posted by 3C29232D263C202D3B252D2F480 link=1249093026/2#2 date=1249102567
        Thanks Greg, those are very helpful answers.  tts,  hmmm, I like that

Its interesting you say to use the double basket.  On my old (small) machine I never bothered with the single basket.  I just made a single shot from the double every time.  With this new one I am not sure as I like a strong cup but I want to make sure I am making the best coffee possible (at my skill level).  Would you suggest making two full shots from the double basket and pouring them both in to my mug?
        NOOOOOOooooooo

You take a standard shot using the double basket..

1: 50 to 60 sec should give 50 - 60ml

However many of us like to cut the shot short at 40 - 50 sec, as it is does / can produce a good full bodied coffee without the acidity / bitterness that the extra caffeine can give..  The longer you run it, the more caffeine you will get.. (GENERALISATION I know, but a rule of thumb.)

As GW said...  Do a search and look for posts on the Silvia.. 99% of your questions will be answered already.

How to search is here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248646363

Comment

Thanks this is helping me too... I struggle to dose right - I have Rancilio grinder and machine - if I tap too much while dosing and them tamp down it seems to be too much and it struggles to get through - drips. If I dont tap enough it under-doses and blondes too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 705F5654437C505F5056545C545F45310 link=1249093026/3#3 date=1249103430
            Originally posted by 3C29232D263C202D3B252D2F480 link=1249093026/2#2 date=1249102567
             Would you suggest making two full shots from the double basket and pouring them both in to my mug?
            NOOOOOOooooooo

You take a standard shot using the double basket..

1: 50 to 60 sec should give 50 - 60ml
            Im not sure if AM misunderstood what you were trying to say or if he got it right, in which case Ill take his interpretation and say that if you want two full shots, after running the first shot, fill the basket again with freshly ground coffee and then run the second shot.

Comment

Just so there is no confusion, when using the double filter basket you should be aiming for a total of 50 - 60ml in 25 - 30secs. ie. if you have a measuring glass under each spout you should be getting 25 - 30 ml in each glass.

Cheers,
              Alan

Comment

Im not sure if AM misunderstood what you were trying to say or if he got it right, in which case Ill take his interpretation and say that if you want two full shots, after running the first shot, fill the basket again with freshly ground coffee and then run the second shot.

Thanks TG... Yep, could be read either way... As to teh Question and or my response...

Originally posted by 2633282C322338410 link=1249093026/6#6 date=1249119778

Just so there is no confusion, when using the double filter basket you should be aiming for a total of 50 - 60ml in 25 - 30secs. ie. if you have a measuring glass under each spout you should be getting 25 - 30 ml in each glass.

Cheers,
                Alan
                Thanks..

Comment

As it has been said "its about whats in the cup that counts"!
                  Keep working on getting ur dose and tamp consistant combine that with the right grind and a bit of temperature surfing and you will pulling great shots in no time!!!
                  Keep practicing and working on them! Before u know it u will be roaring ur own beans too!!

Comment

Thanks for all the answers people.  I did mean two shots at the same time from a double basket.  I think with my old machine (small Breville) a double shot was more like a single shot on a Rancilio.  I will experiment tomorrow with a double basket, making 50-60ml

Comment

I hope I am posting this question the correct place.
                      I am researching for a new machine, and it looks like Silvia is the girl for me. Can someone tell me, besides a PID, what accessories should I purchase at the same time? Do I need a special basket for cleaning or other bits and pieces? I am unsure what comes in the box with the Silvia.

Comment

I am researching for a new machine, and it looks like Silvia is the girl for me. Can someone tell me, besides a PID, what accessories should I purchase at the same time? Do I need a special basket for cleaning or other bits and pieces? I am unsure what comes in the box with the Silvia.

Comment

Originally posted by 687A71717B767A1F0 link=1249093026/10#10 date=1249170357
                          Everything you need will come in the box
                          But users will probably advise you to ditch the single basket  
                          However you will need a
                          Grinder & a good Tamper

Most sponsors will supply you with a kit of back-flush chemical, starter bag of beans, & if you are lucky a milk frothing jug and cleaning cloths

KK

Comment

You may need to get a blind cup to put in the group head for back flushing. it didnt come with my machine but the new ones might?

Good tamp is also a accessory I would look at getting 1st

Comment

True, true.  The tamper that came with it is annoying me right now.  It does the job but leavs a lot up to guessing.  I have now ordered a nice one from Coffee Parts

Btw, I went through a 250g bag of beans (from big coffee chain) and got mediocre results.  Then yesterday I went to my usual local roastery and got some nice beans.  The first cup I made was far far better without any adjustment.  I was quite surprised by this.

Comment

Working...
                              X