Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backflushing a Rancilio Silvia

Hi there
    Just wondering how often other people backflush their Sylvias??
    Apparently the previous owner backflushed this machine every week - pouring 4-5 doubles a day. Myself, I go through 2-3 doubles a day on average. Ive only backflushed once in the last 6 months.
    Also, Ive seen several reports and videos on the backflushing procedure. Some say switch it on for 1/2 second max and off again, wait 30 seconds and go again. Others keep the machine switched on for up to 10 seconds and then switch off!! Wait a while and go again several times. Is there an optimal time for this ..... 1,3 5 seconds?
    Cheers
    jon

Re: Slyvia backflushing - how often?

At your usage level, I would be backflushing each week minimum.
    It took me a while to start doing it regularly, now I really start to notice it if the machine needs a clean.

Many people do a water only backflush daily and a detergent backflush weekly.
    Basically with the procedure, you dont want to strain the machine too much.
    Short pulses are usually all that is needed.
    When I had the Silvia, I did about 6 or 7 pulses with the detergent. Then did the PF wiggle (hold it with a teatowel and try to get the water to disperse around the top of the PF by wiggling it whilst brew switch on) for 5-10 seconds.
    Clean drip tray.
    Rinse any excess detergent from blind filter.
    Do 6-7 pulses of water only (or until no detergent visible in return water).
    Then do a sink shot (or use a dialling in shot as suggested by others).
    The optimal time is what works best for your cleaning regime and doesnt sound like it is putting the pump under too much strain.

Comment

Hi Jon, I backflush Silvia once a week with detergent and a couple of times in-between with just hot water, you will be amazed at the amount of grinds that build up in the machine and these produce bitter shots if not cleaned regularly.
      Once you get in a routine it doesnt take too long to do and is well worth the effort.

Comment

Hi Jon - I do a water only backflush daily and a detergent backflush once a week, using short pulses, as "fatboy" has suggested.

Comment

Heres a link to one of the coffee worlds best "How-to" re: backflushing along with all the whys and wherefores.... 8-)

Cheers,
          Mal.

Comment

Heres the whole Randy Glass kit and caboodle:

http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html

Comment

Hi Jon,

I really only use Sylvia on weekends and do a detergent backflush once a month. I do a water backflush after each weekend session.
              Short pulses of the brew switch is the way to go. Less than a second each.
              You should have the stainless drip deck removed so you can see the discharge from the 3 way valve into the tray.
              If you still have the brew switch on with water pouring from the 3 way valve into the drip tray, then you have had it on for too long.
              The idea is to clean the machine without overstressing it.
              Randys instructions are very good.
              If you havent backflushed for six months then you will be amazed what comes out into the drip tray when you do.

Cheers,
              Alan

Comment

Thanks for all that.
                Weekly basis it is then with perhaps a water backflush a couple of times.
                Cheers for the links.

" It is not the pumps pressure that is going to do the cleaning but the presence of the cleaner in the brewing path where the dirt resides."

That sums it all up then as I thought it would be a combination of the both.
                Thanks again
                jon

Comment

I should add for anyone concerned that you are officially not meant to backflush the Sylvia, the distributor in Brisbane who sold me my machine gave me a blind filter basket. Probably the manual warns against backflushing to deter those who dont know how to do it because you could potentially cause damage if you leave the pump running too long against the back pressure. If you understand how a machine works and treat it accordingly you should be safe.

Comment

I Agree with the others,

Detergent Backflush once a week and hot water backflush a couple of times a week.
                    Its even easier, if you have a second group handle [I have a naked] because you can leave the blind filter in it, and leave it hanging around the machine to remind you..

If you need convincing of the merits of a backflush, a simple test is to taste the water via the group and compare it to the water taken via the steam wand....The latter tastes like clean hot water, the former....Bleaugh!
                    Do this after only two weeks without a detergent backflush and you will never omit it from your regime again.

Comment

Hi All,

Being a newbie and only had my Silvia for a month, was wondering if one should backflush. The dealer that sold me the machine said it is not necessary but I suppose if everyone here is doing it, then it should be fine.

Will order a blind filter asap and get those backflushes happening!

Comment

Re: Silvia backflushing - how often?

I make 1 - 3 double shots per day on my Silvia and I water backflush mid week and detergent on a weekend.

As well as the weekly detergent backflush, I take the shower screen off and give that a good cleaning too.

Comment

Thank you for the advise SteveH. My usage is similar to yours. Waiting for the blind filter to arrive from Coffee Parts.

Comment

Ditto to above- weekly chemical clean and twice a week . Water backwash twice a week.
                            Here is a tip- get one of those plastic takeaway trays and whenever u r cleaning put that under ur PF then u dont ocerfill the water waste tray

Comment

Backflushing a Rancilio Silvia

Is it ok to backflush once a week or so? I normally run the pump for a few seconds then switch it off and then hear the liquid gurgling back out to the drip tray, and do this a few times. I presume the pump should not be left running for long with the backflush attachment.

Comment

Working...
                              X