Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 issue. Advice needed

Just my luck!

The EM6910 Ive been selling has been smooth sailing for 12 months.
    Today a fellow CS member came over ready to hand over his cash.
    I had cleaned the machine and emptied the resevoir.

When he arrived I suggested a demo and filled the resevoir again. The pump made noise but not water would come out of the group!
    Steam is not issue, still working fine.

Any suggestions or advice before I open her up?

Re: EM6910 issue. Advice needed

Hi CJ

Sounds like it might possibly be that the anti-calc filter is blocking the water flow, or the water tank not popped in fully. Try taking the water tank out again and putting it back in and see if that helps. Also take off the filter and put it back on. The steam that you got might have just been residual steam in the steam line.

I think someone had the issue in a previous thread as per the above, and it turned out to be an easy fix from memory.

Happy for anyone else to jump in with other thoughts...

Cheers
    Di

Comment

Hi Di thanks for the suggestions. They were my first 2 thoughts as well. Unfortunately neither seemed to be the culprit.

Im still hoping its simple fix like that. I was going to open her up tonight to look for something obvious like a disconnected tube. However just finished 2 hours of ironing and cannot be bothered.

Comment

Hot water ?

I would also give teh valve in teh water tank a bit of a tickle..

Some times they get a bit of an air lock..

Run some Hot water and then the group a few times...

Comment

Thanks AM. I should have mentioned theres no hot water either.
          Will have a good play around tomorrow. Its been an eventful day in our household. My wife is currently at emergency getting a burnt hand looked at.

The machine problem is karma....I tried selling it on the same day I went to the Sunbeam barista course (courtesy of a friend). Coure was fine but cant say I really learnt anything new.

Comment

IMHO if you have steam then it is not an air-lock nor a reservoir problem.

I had an air-lock in mine and rang Sunbeam. They told me to remove the reservoir and lift it while replacing it firmly. Then to try the manual switch several times giving it time to draw water back in.

Worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by 7F585E59542D0 link=1250335077/5#5 date=1250379367
              IMHO if you have steam then it is not an air-lock nor a reservoir problem.  

I had an air-lock in mine and rang Sunbeam.  They told me to remove the reservoir and lift it while replacing it firmly. Then to try the manual switch several times giving it time to draw water back in.

Worked for me  
              Rusty... A reasonable point, but the devil is in teh detail and the fluid flow etc...

KISS....  Was working, removed tank etc ... Not working  = Air lock in the first instance...

Steam working fine ??  Did it just get turned on or  was milk steamed ??  There is enough water in the system to generate some good steam Even with no WATER flow.

Secondly, the water for the steam takes a separate path other than a single common point at the start of the flow...

Thus still possible for an AIR lock to get in the system and cause a problem OR even not have the tank seated correctly..

If steam is OK and you can steam a couple of jugs of milk etc.. The even this is not 100% conclusive as to the water tank valve as the steam does not require LOTS of water... But I would then be considering something a little more serious... If still no hot water or group ??

So Caffeine Junky... Feedback as to the problem.. / FIX ?

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Its been a crazy weekend and I have not had a chance to play around much.

I can confirm that water is getting to the steam thermoblock so its unlikely to be an issue with the resevoir valve.

No hot water and no water from the brew head still. Thats as far as Ive come.

Am in 2 minds about opening it up and having a look myself...consideirng Im not even sure what to look for. Am tempted to take to the service centre although its 1 hour return trip and the machine is out of warranty....

Comment

If the pump is still making a noise but you arent getting water at either the tap or group, then there is obviously a blockage somewhere (that blockage could be an airlock).

Remember that theres a seperate pump for the steam so the water path from the tank must split somewhere and the blockage is after that split, along the non-steam path.

Have you rung Sunbeam to ask what they think?
                  I remember them stepping me through a process to eliminate an airblock.

Comment

Originally posted by 417D607B717067727A71150 link=1250335077/8#8 date=1250468007
                    If the pump is still making a noise but you arent getting water at either the tap or group, then there is obviously a blockage somewhere (that blockage could be an airlock).

Remember that theres a seperate pump for the steam so the water path from the tank must split somewhere and the blockage is after that split, along the non-steam path.

Thanks TG. On the SB website it says that Customer Service is for products still under warranty and directs people to their service agents if out of warranty. Do you think its still worth calling them?

I have bought some items from the certified service centre here in Adelaide and they seem to be a bit pricey. Im worried theyll slug me if I take it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D6C66756B6E74070 link=1250335077/9#9 date=1250469647
                      Originally posted by 417D607B717067727A71150 link=1250335077/8#8 date=1250468007

Thanks TG.  On the SB website it says that Customer Service is for products still under warranty and directs people to their service agents if out of warranty.  Do you think its still worth calling them?

I have bought some items from the certified service centre here in Adelaide and they seem to be a bit pricey.  Im worried theyll slug me if I take it in there.
                      They will want to charge you.... Unless it is the pump...

Have a look at this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249003655 and what he found at about half way way through his rebuild.. Crap in the solenoid.. Thus no flow to teh Hot Water or Group...

That is my guess..

Shame ya were not around teh corner... Have ya fixed in a jiffy

Comment

Thanks for that AM. I can see myself in the shed tonight with the lap top next to me trying to identify each part.

Will have to drink plunger coffee to keep me away. Dont want to use the Giotto until the new shower screen, water distributor & group seal come from Coffee Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 20212B382623394A0 link=1250335077/11#11 date=1250480719
                          Thanks for that AM.  I can see myself in the shed tonight with the lap top next to me trying to identify each part.  

Will have to drink plunger coffee to keep me away.  Dont want to use the Giotto until the new shower screen, water distributor & group seal come from Coffee Parts.
                          PM me ya details and contact #.. May be worth a call..

Comment

Thanks TG.  On the SB website it says that Customer Service is for products still under warranty and directs people to their service agents if out of warranty.  Do you think its still worth calling them?
                            Yes.
                            Dont tell them its not under warranty. Play dumb.
                            You arent asking them to repair it, you are asking for some advice.
                            If they dont help youve lost nothing; if they do help they may fix the problem.

By the way, only selected Service Agents are authorised to touch the 6910s; so without ringing SB you dont know which ones know anything about your machine.
                            There was a recent thread were a CS member took his machine to a SB agent that was not a 6910 repairer and that caused all sorts of hassle and from memory SB themselves were far from impressed with their agent.

Comment

Thanks TG. AFAIK there is only the one service agent in Adelaide.
                              I saw a couple of EM6910s when I went in there some time ago so I am assuming they can repair them.

I will have a tinker around tonight based on the link to the other thread AM provided. If no success Ill then try the Sunbeam helpline.
                              Last resort will be taking to the service agent.

Not sure if this will get rectified before I leave for o/s as Im quickly running out of time. Just found out I need a health clearance from my GP to be covered for travel insurance.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X