Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on replacing seal in EM6900? I must be missing something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on replacing seal in EM6900? I must be missing something!

Hi all,

I have a new seal for my sunbeam em6900 (the blue seal) and was told that it was really easy to replace the seal - "just undo one screw and take it out". Last time this got replaced sunbeam did it for free (just outside warranty too), but the machines far out of warranty now.

So I undid the one screw, took out the first shower screen and theres the blue seal... but I cannot get a grip on it well enough to actually pull it out. The only bit I can get to is the thin lip of the seal, which is not strong enough to yank the rest out.

Am I supposed to undo the bolt on the second screen as well? Or should the second screen drop out easily, or something? So far all Ive managed to do is rip little bits of blue rubber out of the old seal :-[

From all the references to replacing the seal, surely it must be easy enough to do - so I suspect Im just missing something here. Im just not game to start yanking on more bits of the group head, or start undoing more bits of it if I can avoid doing so.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I havent been able to find any specific descriptions of the process beyond "replaced the seal"

cheers,

h

Re: Tips on replacing seal in EM6900? I must be missing something!

I have the 6910 which has the first shower screen and a second dispersing screen behind which usually just comes out with the first one. After this is removed the seal should be able to be removed without unscrewing anything else.
    It probably has just got some coffee residue acting as a glue and sticking it up in the head. I sometimes just use a small scewdriver to loosen the edges and out it comes.
    If your going to replace it I wouldnt worry about being too careful with it.

Comment

try turning the machine on and let it heat up. Maybe run some water through also. With everything hot and wet (lol) : it might be easier to remove. There are two screens that should remove..

Comment

PM me your email address and Ill send the instructions Sunbeam sent me for my first 6910 seal change.

Comment

Tried heating up the machine but unfortunately it didnt help. It does look like the second screen is bolted on; I guess Ill have to have to undo the bolt as well to get that second screen off.

Comment

i have a 6900 and have replaced the seal and i dont understand when you say that there is a 2nd bolt hoolding in the 2nd shower screen, its only held in with the first screens screw, unless they had different designs in the 6900 models ?? IMHO take 1st screw out, remove shower screen, take small screw driver and prise out seal, 2nd shower screen should pop out as well, then in reverse order replace seal and then 2nd shower screen, then first and finally screw it all firmly back into place

hope it works for you just take ur time, coffee will come pour again

Comment

Originally posted by 414C5B4C5D404A290 link=1252591010/4#4 date=1252686249
              Tried heating up the machine but unfortunately it didnt help. It does look like the second screen is bolted on; I guess Ill have to have to undo the bolt as well to get that second screen off.

The bolt is for the head and a special one way valve, if I am understanding the brief flow of info..

If ya seal is stuffed... Then just get it out... and when you put the new one in, make sure you coat it in a thin film of a food grade grease or oil.. I use a smear of cooking Rice Bran oil as it has high temp properties...

Comment

take the water tank out along with any other loose bits and then flip the machine upside down so its easier to work on and see whats happening.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, everyone - Im actually away for a few days so I will have to wait until Im back to give the new ones a go. Ill report back then

Comment

Originally posted by 6F7A6A77797C707D797C180 link=1252591010/5#5 date=1252709506
                    i have a 6900 and have replaced the seal and i dont understand when you say that there is a 2nd bolt hoolding in the 2nd shower screen, its only held in with the first screens screw, unless they had different designs in the 6900 models ??
                    Ive dug out the instructions Sunbeam sent me and they do show the bolt holding the 2nd screen.

Ive emailed a copy to heretic.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D716C777D7C6B7E767D190 link=1252591010/9#9 date=1252735162
                      Originally posted by 6F7A6A77797C707D797C180 link=1252591010/5#5 date=1252709506
                      i have a 6900 and have replaced the seal and i dont understand when you say that there is a 2nd bolt hoolding in the 2nd shower screen, its only held in with the first screens screw, unless they had different designs in the 6900 models ??
                      Ive dug out the instructions Sunbeam sent me and they do show the bolt holding the 2nd screen.

Ive emailed a copy to heretic.
                      Bugger me... Ya always learning something:-)

Comment

Right, so, umm... heh.

The instructions were great, and I went and got myself the right sized socket wrench before going near the bolt... but when I tried to remove the bolt the little sucker sheared right off! I think it was gummed up pretty badly, Im certainly not the "doesnt know their own strength" type

On the plus side, yes when the bolts off the second screen and old seal drop right out. If the bolt had come out it would have been a really simple task to replace the seal.

I guess I should have replaced the seal much sooner and/or flushed the machine a little more frequently - less oil buildup and maybe the bolt would have turned more easily. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

In any case, the machine will have to sit quietly until pay day comes around and I can take it in to Sunbeam for help. Then well see how badly Ive broken it :-[ Im sure itll seem funny tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by 363B2C3B2A373D5E0 link=1252591010/11#11 date=1253796283
                          Right, so, umm... heh.

The instructions were great, and I went and got myself the right sized socket wrench before going near the bolt... but when I tried to remove the bolt the little sucker sheared right off! I think it was gummed up pretty badly, Im certainly not the "doesnt know their own strength" type

On the plus side, yes when the bolts off the second screen and old seal drop right out. If the bolt had come out it would have been a really simple task to replace the seal.

I guess I should have replaced the seal much sooner and/or flushed the machine a little more frequently - less oil buildup and maybe the bolt would have turned more easily. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

In any case, the machine will have to sit quietly until pay day comes around and I can take it in to Sunbeam for help. Then well see how badly Ive broken it :-[ Im sure itll seem funny tomorrow
                          So where are you located ?

There may be a CSs in ya area you can drill it out....

AM

Comment

Im in Sydney (metro)... Ill probably still need to hit up sunbeam though as itll need a replacement bolt (assuming the broken one can be drilled out/removed).

Comment

The nearest authorised repairer I know of is in Ashfield.

Ring Sunbeam to double check as they are few and far between.

Comment

Working...
                              X