Bodum Granos Brackdown and Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodum Granos Brackdown and Repair

Hi just a note on my journey to repair my Bodum. First, to all the sceptics this machine pulls a reasonable shot with experience as all machines can. The best thing is the 19 Barr pressure is great for excellent micro beads in Milk.

When my Bodum died I thought well it does not owe me anything as I got it cheep. I will sure miss the great steam pressure.
    The repairs were going to be $320 more than I wanted to spend so I thought I would give it a go myself. I found out that most of the home machines use the same Italian pump. So I took one out of a brevil and put it into my Bodum and all working fine. The Bodum has finer hoses and that helps to build up the pressure to 19 Barr.

Re: Bodum Granos Brackdown and Repair

Originally posted by 75656175340 link=1252597956/0#0 date=1252597956
    Hi just a note on my journey to repair my Bodum. First, to all the sceptics this machine pulls a reasonable shot with experience as all machines can. The best thing is the 19 Barr pressure is great for excellent micro beads in Milk.

When my Bodum died I thought well it does not owe me anything as I got it cheep. I will sure miss the great steam pressure.
    The repairs were going to be $320 more than I wanted to spend so I thought I would give it a go myself. I found out that most of the home machines use the same Italian pump. So I took one out of a brevil and put it into my Bodum and all working fine. The Bodum has finer hoses and that helps to build up the pressure to 19 Barr.
    Aqua! What you need to do is soup it up so you can get 50 bar. Or make it twice as good and get 100bar or a whole pub of bars!

These machines use a pressurised filter basket- many holes one side and just one or two on the lower side. They create foamy brown stuff (which I wouldnt call espresso) by running ridiculous pressures in the basket. This allows them to work with stale supermarket coffee.

Given a choice, what you really want is about 1/2 the pressure you have an a real basket. A search on this site will provide you with more information and a pathway to better coffee.

2mcm

Comment

Hi Aqua,

I have a dead Granos (circuit board fault) the pump appears to be standard Ulka 48W pump as you said.
      I would imagine may get 19 bar on the bench under specific non-espresso machine conditions.
      The pressurizing insert in the brass group handle is easily removed with a PH screw driver, the baskets are standard Sunbeam/Breville pressurized filter baskets and are easy enough to convert to unpressurised, as are most.
      I suspect the 19 bar talk is advertising/sales crap, never take it seriously.
      I am a simple man your honour, with modest taste in coffee, old used taste buds and an even more modest wallet.
      As a newbie, I think with diligence this machine would make good espresso and suit many.
      They are a fabulous looking machine something akin to a bright chromed version of the Shanghais skyline.

Kind Regards
      Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by 2D726A7C777C7079797A7A727E711F0 link=1252597956/1#1 date=1252617701
        Aqua! What you need to do is soup it up so you can get 50 bar. Or make it twice as good and get 100bar or a whole pub of bars!

Hmmm I was expecting a comment like this very sharp. Quoting the sales pitch on the Sunbeam 69-- the group head has 14 bar pressure and the milk frother has 4 bar and you here a lot of complaints about the milk pressure.

The Bodum Milk pressure is great much better than any machine that I have seen and being thermoblock it goes forever. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 212423293E2C343F2C4D0 link=1252597956/2#2 date=1252622958
          I have a dead Granos (circuit board fault) the pump appears to be standard Ulka 48W pump as you said.
          I would imagine may get 19 bar on the bench under specific non-espresso machine conditions.
          Hi Lindsay
          In my hast to find out what was wrong with my machine. It was just steeming out the group head and I seem to now have a hairline crack in the thermo block group head. I mainly use the steam for milk. Would you be interested in selling the thermo block on your machine? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 045B43555E5559505053535B5758360 link=1252597956/1#1 date=1252617701
            Given a choice, what you really want is about 1/2 the pressure you have an a real basket. A search on this site will provide you with more information and a pathway to better coffee.
            Hi 2mcm. Thanks for the tip have got to and drilled out the preasure baskets sure taste better. But now I need to get a better grinder when will this enlightenment stop.
            Peter

Comment

Hi 2mcm,

Originally posted by 78273F292229252C2C2F2F272B244A0 link=1252597956/1#1 date=1252617701
              A search on this site will provide you with more information and a pathway to better coffee.
              To be consistent to the vibe if not the rule and in the interests of fairness I think we should tell the poor punters up front:
              "Not so much a pathway as a TOLLWAY to better coffee".
              But still a lovely trip.

Kind Regards
              Lindsay

Comment

Working...
              X