Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia 09

Hi guys,
    I desperately need help. I have a rancilio silvia 2009 for 2 months now. But I have been having a problem in getting good shots. The coffee is coming too quickly. I dont have grinder. First I bought pre ground coffee from a coffee shop. But It was coming too quickly. Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso). So I bought the coffee (finer than standard espresso). Unfortunatey, same thing still happened.

Can anyone please help me? I dont want to make stupid decision, which I know Ill regret it later (i.e selling it). Thanks

Re: Rancilio Silvia 09

Originally posted by 5B544B4B6E5B544B4B310 link=1252656793/0#0 date=1252656793
    Hi guys,
    I desperately need help. I have a rancilio silvia 2009 for 2 months now. But I have been having a problem in getting good shots. The coffee is coming too quickly. I dont have grinder. First I bought pre ground coffee from a coffee shop. But It was coming too quickly. Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso). So I bought the coffee (finer than standard espresso). Unfortunatey, same thing still happened.

Can anyone please help me? I dont want to make stupid decision, which I know Ill regret it later (i.e selling it). Thanks
    Hi Jezz- 3 easy steps:

1. Buy a good grinder or put your Silvia in a cupboard until you do
    2. Buy freshly roasted coffee <3 weeks old. You will not find this at a supermarket
    3. Get some training to help you to get the best from your machine

Cheers

2mcm

Comment

where are you located jez? someone may be able to help, dont panic, its all good, just some technique training and all the stuff 2mcm said above, dont sell it, youll get there, if your in brissie i may be able to give you some guidance.

dont worry, great shots are just around the corner

Comment

What they said.

It is very difficult to get good shots from pre-ground coffee, its why the best cafés all grind to order.

Let us know where you are, were nearly all addicted to helping other coffee lovers, as well as to coffee itself! :

Greg

Comment

ditto to all.... buy a grinder and get fresh beans! great shots from there arent far off, but without these things, great shots are far off.

There are lots of CSers who would no doubt love to help, just let us know where you reside.

Comment

Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso).
            :-? So what is a standard espresso grind : Supplier should spend a bit of time around here they could have picked up a grinder sale ;D
            Are you using a tamper I hope your not using that plastic thing Rancilio supply.

Comment

:-? So what is a standard espresso grind :
              Easy--thats the one that works in my machine right now. ;D

Greg

Comment

Thanks Guys for the responds. I live in South of Perth.
                I really dont want to sell it. Although I dont get good shots, but I love it :P
                I dont use the plastic tamper that came within the package. The supplier where I got my machine from, had a professional 58mm Tamper upgrade

I was going to buy a grinder & I heard Rocky was the best grinder. Unfortunately, Its too expensive. Any suggestion on good yet affordable grinder?

Comment

2nd hand Rocky (around $300). You wont look back. We had a em0480 (around $170) which was really great with our em6910 but when we aquired a commercial 1 group machine we reckoned we could justify buying the Rocky to make running events easier. Its great.

Comment

Some cheap grinder options are:

Sunbeam EM0450 for ~$150 - Plastic shell
                    Sunbeam EM0480 for ~$200 - Stainless steel shell

Once you have your grinder your going to need some FRESH coffee.

I suggest clicking on "Buy Brown" at the top left hand cnr of the page.

If you would like to know some local coffee roasters then send me a PM. I wont plug them here because they are not site sponsors (which they should be!)

Deano

Comment

Or alternatively you could keep your eye out in teh for sale section, or put in a "wanted to buy" post for a second hand Rocky, they are built like a brick...........,they are a perfect partner for the silvia, they pop up pretty regularly too due to ppl upgrading their espresso machines and in turn upgrading grinders, i just sold mine last week, sorry :-[

Best of Luck, dont give up, dont sell it

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on the Saeco MC2002 Burr Grinder??

Comment

Whats the next best grinder that go with my rancilio silvia? I cant find a second hand rancilio rocky. I can;t afford to buy the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by 4C435C5C794C435C5C260 link=1252656794/12#12 date=1253841229
                            Whats the next best grinder that go with my rancilio silvia? I cant find a second hand rancilio rocky. I can;t afford to buy the new one.
                            I would get a Sunbeam EM0450 for around $150.

Comment

Imo far better then a sunbeam, Iberital challege, about $300

Comment

Working...
                              X