2010 SILVIA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 SILVIA?

With the death of my Aldi machine Im in the market for a replacement and the Silvia appears to be the only machine that can make decent espresso under 1k, other than perhaps the Sunbeam 6910.

As the current Silvia is a recent upgrade I am wondering if anyone "in the know" has heard whats on the cards for 2010?

Considering all the machines getting the PID mod is Rancilio likely to be making this a factory feature in the next model. If so it may be worth putting up with plunger until the new model is released.

Bernard

Re: 2010 SILVIA?

Bernard, youve got your crystal ball in overdrive! ;D

Seriously though, espresso machines arent like cars. They dont come out with changes every year just to make you feel like you have to upgrade to the "new model". But for the record, we havent heard of any impending changes. I wouldnt be putting up with plunger on the off chance there is a change sometime in the future (which may or may not actually make the machine better ...

charlie

Comment

Just sitting here having some lunch and spotted your interesting quetsion.

As a direct importer of the Silvia:

Occasionally we get factory advice about a change they are making or have already made to the machines in our upcoming order (that we didnt know about).

Most often we dont know much until a consignment lands, and then we find if anything has changed.

Sometimes we find out that there has been a change made...simply because another importer somewhere else in the world has just received their new stock and noted changes, and this gets picked up on the net for everyone to see.....

They dont always reply to our email requests for info or whatever/....

The longer you deal wth Rancilio the easier it gets ie you get to understand their methods or just go with the flow. It helps if you are easygoing  ;D

In the end, we simply order so many machines, and they send them...they are either the same as "last time", or they have some "upgrades"  

For the rest of it:
      Its a great machine (if not the best) in its price bracket. The early versions were in my opinion just about as good as the current "upgraded" ones.

As a consequence my question would be, why did they"upgrade" them?

I have already declared my commercial interest by saying we import them. That stated.....they are more expensive for you to buy than the Sunbeam (also a great machine in its class) but ask yourself the question, which of the two will still be with you in 10 years and with the least amount of costly service during the period? Spare parts availability over the period? Simplicity to service by anyone?

We will know in 2010 if they have any changes in the wind for stock they manufacture in 2010 / not being facetious!

They dont need a PID.....as with any machine and grinder combo, you (the operator) just need to learn the best method of operation for your equipment. Your brain is the PID.

That said we are all individuals and some like to do the mod. And thats fine. Just note however when alls said and done any pidded version of the machine will have an immediate effect on your wallet, but may not necessarily have much effect on your coffee enjoyment if you have done a good job of learning to use your equipment in the traditional way.

If you like the Silvia, just buy one, I cant see any apparent reason for holding out just in case they make any more upgrades.

You wont be disappointed either way.

Just my honest opinions!

Good luck,
      Attilio
      very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by 07332432291E022E27272424410 link=1252896728/2#2 date=1252904228

Just my honest opinions!

Good luck,
        Attilio

And a terrific reply as well Attilio [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

ahh shucks,

thank you!

A.

Comment

I cant see them ever piding a silvia. A better thermostat would be nice though, a digi one like a minore would be awesome. Im not holding my breath though.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent replies. Ive been convinced not to wait to buy a new machine. I was hoping to stretch the funds to an Expobar Leva but at around $2200 I cant quite make it. The Silvia might be a bit of a chore when entertaining but for 95% of my needs its fine and $1400 is spmewhat over the top for the other 5%.

I just came from trying out a freinds Silvia and had some very nice coffee. Its a good thing I am a night owl after 2 lattes and one and a bit espressos in just over an hour. The bit was trying the single basket as i couldnt understand how it didnt create nice single shots but im convinced its true.

Now ive got to do some serious surfing to track down the best price.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Bernard

Comment

Hi Bernard,

In addition to surfing, I suggest you contact the site sponsors. You can easily contact them all at once by using an email address on the RHS of this page.

All the best

Daniel

Comment

LHS

Comment

depends if you look at you monitor upside down TG then its the right hand side.

Go the Silvia Bernard you wont regret it, and especially wont do so in 10 years time when shes still going then strong!! they are an awesome machine with a little love and working on your technique

Comment

I just realised why I was having so much trouble using my laptop

Comment

New 2009 Silvia is now on order from one of the sponsors, fingers crossed it will get here by Friday so I can have all weekend to play.

Also looking into a pullman tamper and synesso dbl ridgless which seem quite popular among members.

Bernard

Comment

BW

Seems like the Silvia ticks off all the boxes for you.

Even as far back as 10 years ago when I first got my Cimbali Domus, the Silvia was best in its class.....some things dont change. I wouldnt second guess its build or capability and service to you for the next 10 years to come.

You buy good quality, itll last (stands true what ever your budget is). Touch wood, even I got a good run out of $400.

Youre likely to turn it in because you wish for something bigger and fancier.....not because the Silvia is no good or wont last the distance.

Seeya

Comment

Originally posted by 6A5E495F44736F434A4A49492C0 link=1252896728/2#2 date=1252904228
                            Just sitting here having some lunch and spotted your interesting quetsion.

As a direct importer of the Silvia:

Occasionally we get factory advice about a change they are making or have already made to the machines in our upcoming order (that we didnt know about).

Most often we dont know much until a consignment lands, and then we find if anything has changed.

Sometimes we find out that there has been a change made...simply because another importer somewhere else in the world has just received their new stock and noted changes, and this gets picked up on the net for everyone to see.....

They dont always reply to our email requests for info or whatever/....

The longer you deal wth Rancilio the easier it gets ie you get to understand their methods or just go with the flow. It helps if you are easygoing  ;D

In the end, we simply order so many machines, and they send them...they are either the same as "last time", or they have some "upgrades"  

For the rest of it:
                            Its a great machine (if not the best) in its price bracket. The early versions were in my opinion just about as good as the current "upgraded" ones.

As a consequence my question would be, why did they"upgrade" them?

I have already declared my commercial interest by saying we import them. That stated.....they are more expensive for you to buy than the Sunbeam (also a great machine in its class) but ask yourself the question, which of the two will still be with you in 10 years and with the least amount of costly service during the period? Spare parts availability over the period? Simplicity to service by anyone?

We will know in 2010 if they have any changes in the wind for stock they manufacture in 2010 / not being facetious!

They dont need a PID.....as with any machine and grinder combo, you (the operator) just need to learn the best method of operation for your equipment. Your brain is the PID.

That said we are all individuals and some like to do the mod. And thats fine. Just note however when alls said and done any pidded version of the machine will have an immediate effect on your wallet, but may not necessarily have much effect on your coffee enjoyment if you have done a good job of learning to use your equipment in the traditional way.

If you like the Silvia, just buy one, I cant see any apparent reason for holding out just in case they make any more upgrades.

You wont be disappointed either way.

Just my honest opinions!

Good luck,
                            Attilio

Great response, i too am i the market for the Silvia and didnt know whether the old out for the 2010.

Comment

Just grab one!! Theyre brilliant! I have a cheapish 2 group commercial machine at work and aside from the volume issue... Miss Silvia pumps out BETTER coffee (especially thanks to my new Macap M5!

Comment

Working...
                              X