Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM6910 Sidecover removal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM6910 Sidecover removal

    My 6910 has developed a small leak so yesterday I whipped the back cover off and discovered that its just a loose swage fitting at the bottom of the copper tube :-/
    The problem is that you cant get at the fitting without removing the metal side cover which I cannot figure how to do : The screws at the bottom come off easily but be damed if I can work out how to get the top free.
    Anyone have some experience with this?

  • #2
    Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

    Originally posted by 645443514B4748260 link=1254111162/0#0 date=1254111162
    My 6910 has developed a small leak so yesterday I whipped the back cover off and discovered that its just a loose swage fitting at the bottom of the copper tube :-/
    The problem is that you cant get at the fitting without removing the metal side cover which I cannot figure how to do : The screws at the bottom come off easily but be damed if I can work out how to get the top free.
    Anyone have some experience with this?
    Remove from all power before attempting any thing... Water and electrons do not mix with great outcomes...


    Remove the top Anti tamper screw... You will need a good quality torx number 5 ?? Mine says 320T


    Then after ya repair ensure the safety has been maintained and perform an EST in accordance with AS3760..

    AM

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

      gee whizz, all I want to do is nip up a loose hose fitting, not repower the boiler ;D

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

        Originally posted by 5D6D7A68727E711F0 link=1254111162/2#2 date=1254190547
        gee whizz, all I want to do is nip up a loose hose fitting, not repower the boiler ;D
        Once you remove the safety lock or any tamper proof screw you have in fact breached the equipments manufactures risk management approach..

        Thus even if reconnecting a non electrical item... You could possibly cause a unsafe situation...

        As due to licence and a duty of care, ( implied or direct) it is required that I advise you of the correct process to follow before putting said item back into use....

        Electricity can and does kill. Other CSs have been bitten doing simple repairs.. If it happens.. I wont give it a second thought...

        What is another one, to a list that now exceeds the fingers on both hands..

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

          I saw the torque spit but was hoping the side panel could be removed easily. You make some good points and a lot of assumptions about my risk taking/mechanical knowledge.

          Forgive my response but your replies although being rather informative could be taken as rude.
          I will make two inferred observations from your above replies
          1) There is more weight than I had initailly attached to your forum name.
          2) You are a sunbeam repairer.
          Are either correct?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

            Originally posted by 447463716B6768060 link=1254111162/4#4 date=1254217686
            I saw the torque spit but was hoping the side panel could be removed easily. You make some good points and a lot of assumptions about my risk taking/mechanical knowledge.

            Forgive my response but your replies although being rather informative could be taken as rude.
            I will make two inferred observations from your above replies
            1) There is more weight than I had initailly attached to your forum name.
            2) You are a sunbeam repairer.
            Are either correct?
            You and other have the right to ASSUME what you wish  ;D    

            As to the two points you raise..

            Q1: Weight

            A1: Actually I am about 68kg soaking wet  :

            Q2: Sunbeam repairer

            A2: Wrong if you mean I have any formal association with Sunbeam or its agencies either now or previously...

            If you mean I repair coffee machines as a hobby and some might be stamped Sunbeam.. Correct.


            If you really want to know me...  Try reading the last 30 odd posts of mine..

            Angry / Mad / Frustrated /  Old / Had a gut full / Love to stir /  Suffer fools - NOT...  But above all like my coffee.

            As stated in another post... The truth can be much stranger than your best attempt at fiction...  

            Those that know me in person, know me better....  But like PC said  there are .. Both Sides Of The Story.... Or BJ with "The Stranger"...  8-)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

              Brewman you can be sure AM was just giving responsible advice. I wish Id listened to him before attempting my 6910 repair.

              I too was working on a non-electrical fault. After turning the machine on & off several times whilst testing, at one stage I forgot to turn it off. Result? A nasty zap which triggered the safety switch AND a cooked thermoblock.

              I dont think anyone on CS is more generous with their time than AM is.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                Originally posted by 4243495A44415B280 link=1254111162/6#6 date=1254223598
                Brewman you can be sure AM was just giving responsible advice.  I wish Id listened to him before attempting my 6910 repair.

                I too was working on a non-electrical fault. After turning the machine on & off several times whilst testing, at one stage I forgot to turn it off. Result?  A nasty zap which triggered the safety switch AND a cooked thermoblock.

                I dont think anyone on CS is more generous with their time than AM is.  
                Thanks CJ... Much appreciated...  There are a few of US that try to be of assistance....  When we have the skills or understanding and I will accept your kind words on behalf of many other Cs members and Sponsors who offer and provide assistance and advice...

                Though I am sure a few would question your intent  ;D

                Cause we know that you just want to get ya hands on an old guy  

                @
                @
                @
                @
                @


                If only to get access to his Coffee gear  ;D  

                PS. So how it the unit after teh said repair ?

                AM

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                  You got me there AM!

                  I should have the 6910 tomorrow. Its been ready for a while now but its some damn far away its hard to get to.

                  Will post details & cost of repair once Im confident the machine is 100% again. Then I need to decide what to do with it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                    Originally posted by 1E2E392B313D325C0 link=1254111162/4#4 date=1254217686
                    You make some good points and a lot of assumptions about my risk taking/mechanical knowledge.

                    Forgive my response but your replies although being rather informative could be taken as rude.
                    Without knowing your risk taking/mechanical knowledge, it makes sense to me that AM would play safe and ASSUME you know nothing.

                    Then again, we both have a quality background and I too can be perceived as rude occasionally.

                    Better to be shocked by AMs language (but alive) rather than have been spoken to politely but (shocked and) dead.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                      Originally posted by 0935283339382F3A32395D0 link=1254111162/9#9 date=1254233657
                      Originally posted by 1E2E392B313D325C0 link=1254111162/4#4 date=1254217686
                      You make some good points and a lot of assumptions about my risk taking/mechanical knowledge.

                      Forgive my response but your replies although being rather informative could be taken as rude.
                      Without knowing your risk taking/mechanical knowledge, it makes sense to me that AM would play safe and ASSUME you know nothing.

                      Then again, we both have a quality background and I too can be perceived as rude occasionally.

                      Better to be shocked by AMs language (but alive) rather than have been spoken to politely but (shocked and) dead.
                      TG... Why is this so ? It is something I have noticed on occasion.. Quality = Rude or is it that many just do not get it ?

                      PS.. I guess if enough think I am rude... Then I must be... But I think ya last line says it all...

                      PPS. Yep we lost another employee only the other week... First line RCA - Almost with out fail... Fail to disconnect/check and Fail to use PPE... RCA - Familiarity breeds contempt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                        TG... Why is this so ?

                        Its because we are used to delivering factual information, which tends to not be as "soft" as normal speech.




                        AND they just dont get it.
                        AND were both rude old bastards.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                          Originally posted by 417D607B717067727A71150 link=1254111162/9#9 date=1254233657
                          Originally posted by 1E2E392B313D325C0 link=1254111162/4#4 date=1254217686
                          You make some good points and a lot of assumptions about my risk taking/mechanical knowledge.

                          Forgive my response but your replies although being rather informative could be taken as rude.
                          Without knowing your risk taking/mechanical knowledge, it makes sense to me that AM would play safe and ASSUME you know nothing.

                          Then again, we both have a quality background and I too can be perceived as rude occasionally.

                          Better to be shocked by AMs language (but alive) rather than have been spoken to politely but (shocked and) dead.
                          I understand that It was the presentation/tone rather than the assumptions that I took issue to. AMs first two posts were terse, his third showed some humanity. Im quite prepared to believe that AM meant well and thats just his style or a bad day or whatever. The fact that he has responded since points to that.

                          Ill lead onto another point Im a research scientist so I understand the need for the concise presentation of data but facts dont have to be presented in a drab manner (that can be left to accountants ;D). just some food for thought

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                            Originally posted by 59697E6C767A751B0 link=1254111162/4#4 date=1254217686
                            replies although being rather informative could be taken as rude.
                            Read this thread with great interest. Strikes me, that rudeness could be implied more forcefully by those with knowledge, when they dont answer future requests for help. Lets all be nice, and realize that tone and communicative intention are not obvious in the written word. Imagine future replies from our collective iPhones....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: EM6910 Sidecover removal

                              Originally posted by 6C7C6B7A7A3C3D3E36393D0E0 link=1254111162/13#13 date=1254366624
                              realize that tone and communicative intention are not obvious in the written word
                              its so so common in forums.......that why we have..... ;D > 8-) :-? : :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X