need new machine, now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need new machine, now

Hi all, I need urgent help. I need to replace my old Gaggia Cubika as Ive had a gut full of fixing it and spares are impossible to get in brisbane. My budget, sorry, wifes budget is $ 500. Help, what do I get. :P

Re: need new machine, now

If you can get her to stretch it just a tad more Id go for the Nemox Fenice ~$580. You could always try haggling.

Comment

Sorry CJ you will have to excuse my ignorance but Ive never heard of them ! ? I have a modded 480 grinder and was just getting consistant results out of the cubikka when the group head seal split , again.

Comment

Yeah theyre not that well known in Australia. Made by a company in Italy called Lelit. Other machines that get a regular mention on this site are the Nemox Dell Opera, Lelit Combi, Mokita Combi and Quaha Napoletana II. These are all the same machine under different brand names. The difference between these and the Fenice is that they have a built-in grinder.

All these machines have a 300ml brass boiler and 57mm group. Similar specs and design to the Rancilio Silvia. Built like a tank and will last you much longer than any Sunbean, Breville or Gaggia.

I own a 6 year old Napoletana II which gets used at work to make ~10 cups a day. Never skips a beat and make very creamy textured milk.

I think every machine in Australia under $500 will have pressurised baskets. This is not a big deal as you can always replace them with unpressurised ones. One of the more popular entry level machines used by members is the Breville Ikon. Well within your budget. Just need to get unpressurised double basket. Plenty of money left over for a good tamper, if you dont already have one.

Comment

Got the tamper, I bought one on one of my endless journeys around Brisbane trying to find a group head seal for the gaggia. The machine you describe sounds pretty good to me, are they readily availble ? I dont want to have to modify anything strait away, or have to go and buy unpressurized baskets blah blah blah to make a brew. Im still a bit suss on the breville ( probably unjust ) but an Italian machine as you describe for under $ 600 is just what Im looking for.

Comment

Unfortunately I dont think any of the sponsors in Brisbane sell the Fenice, it would mean ordering one from Sydney (Coffee Machine Express).

I noticed from your other thread youre very anxious to get a new machine today. I understand that once youve made a decision to buy something, you want it right away. However if I were you, I would TRY to be patient and make sure you get the machine you need, rather than the one that was available today.

Comment

nup, too late. just bought a em6910

Comment

oh well..I was just going to add my sister has the Nemox version with the ginder and has had hers for around 6 years without a minutes trouble from it and she is also awfully lazy when it comes to cleaning/servicing her coffee machine so that in my mind says they are a really good machine and likely what I will be upgrading to.

Happy brewing with the 6910!

Comment

Originally posted by 64657272696C6578000 link=1254524221/6#6 date=1254536259
                  just bought a em6910
                  Good choice derrilex

Let me recommend the free Sunbeam barista course. It will help you get the best out of the EM6910.

Comment

Its amazing at the buy it now bug but at least you made a good choice with the 6910, it looks good too boot, what kind of grinder are you running with it because this is a major factor all machine, you cant get good coffee with a bad grinder, also sunbeam course is a must plus.

just to make it easier for you take the dual floor baskets and the single basket and pot them in the draw and go about getting consistent shots on the double basket then try the single after you have masterd the double

Comment

Originally posted by 7164746967626E636762060 link=1254524221/9#9 date=1254697269
                      Its amazing at the buy it now bug but at least you made a good choice with the 6910, it looks good too boot, what kind of grinder are you running with it because this is a major factor all machine, you cant get good coffee with a bad grinder, also sunbeam course is a must plus.

just to make it easier for you take the dual floor baskets and the single basket and pot them in the draw and go about getting consistent shots on the double basket then try the single after you have masterd the double

I would suggest a Forum HIT and RUN and that we will only get a return visit; once they start having issues

Comment

Hit and run, me , never. Just been having soooooo much fun with the new toy. I gotta tell you, its awesome. First thing I did was throw the dual floor baskets in the deepest darkest draw I could find. Getting great shots using the same grind as I used for the gaggia, although further modding of my 480 grinder may be needed to keep me " in range " I love been able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time. Im sure I could have got something better but for the money and the fact that I have 5 years warranty, I dont care. This machine is great. ;D

Comment

Gotta "run" to work now. Ill "hit" the site later, if thats ok.
                          Im upset now, better have a coffee

Comment

Originally posted by 323324243F3A332E560 link=1254524221/11#11 date=1254702752
                            Hit and run, me , never. Just been having soooooo much fun with the new toy. I gotta tell you, its awesome. First thing I did was throw the dual floor baskets in the deepest darkest draw I could find. Getting great shots using the same grind as I used for the gaggia, although further modding of my 480 grinder may be needed to keep me " in range " I love been able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time. Im sure I could have got something better but for the money and the fact that I have 5 years warranty, I dont care. This machine is great. ;D
                            Great to see I was WRONG - Again ;D

If ya treat it correctly and do not OVERDOSE (up dosing is OK), Tamp evenly and perform regular maintenance.. It will last you a long time and provide great coffee..

Treat it harshly and it will fail / play up when you least expect it...

As to 5 years warranty... Only time will tell - if it is USER introduced.

Enjoy ya coffee... Upgraditis is not far away ;D

I guess a MOD needs to move the posts to the next level... No longer SUB $500

Comment

Originally posted by 777661617A7F766B130 link=1254524221/11#11 date=1254702752
                              First thing I did was throw the dual floor baskets in the deepest darkest draw I could find
                              The next thing you should do is to remove that black plastic floor in the group handle - its just a trap for gunk and other nasties that will ruin your coffee  :

I took the five year warranty as well just in case  

Comment

Working...
                              X