Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

Hi,

Ive read heaps of posts here and I really want to convert to making espressos and milk based drinks like lattes at home but Im going around in circles.  Currently drinking plunger coffee occasionally (just about to buy some fresh coffee because Ive always wondered why the supermarkets stuff was bad and after learning about it, I now know why!) and drinking instant so I need saved.  Im spending too much at the coffee shops when Im out...

My neighbour has a Saeco Magic Deluxe and I nearly bought one of them pre-loved for $380 but after a bit of reading I think I would be limiting my enjoyment of making coffee at home.

Now, Im an impatient bugger by nature but Ive restrained myself which is quiet amazing.  I was nearly about to buy a Sunbeam 6910 with free grinder for $699 but it just didnt feel right because I have so many doubts about how long it will last and Im from Scotland and hate wasting money.  Yes there are people with success stories about the 6910 but there are plenty with dramas, returns and grinder issues and I dont need the hassle.  So I was hoping some helpful folk on here could help me with my first espresso machine and grinder purchase.

I have a budget of about the $700 mark for a grinder and espresso machine.  Having something that a noob can learn on will be useful.

Also Im on the Sunshine Coast and Popping over to Pioneer Coast Roastery at the weekend to buy some "proper" coffee for my plunger and to check out the place.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

Hi Lacehim and welcome to the forum. As far as Im concerned there is only one machine you should consider:

http://talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-lelit-combi.php
    http://www.cuppacoffee.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/lelit-coffee-machine

The same machine is also currently sold as the Nemox Del Opera and has previously been sold as the Quaha Napoletana II and the Imat Mokita Combi. They are all made in the same factory by Lelit.

Its more like $850 but its really worth stretching your budget a little more. I own one of these as well as an EM6910. Id definitely go for the Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by 735E5C5A5756523F0 link=1255089893/0#0 date=1255089893
      Hi,

Ive read heaps of posts here and I really want to convert to making espressos and milk based drinks like lattes at home but Im going around in circles.  Currently drinking plunger coffee occasionally (just about to buy some fresh coffee because Ive always wondered why the supermarkets stuff was bad and after learning about it, I now know why!) and drinking instant so I need saved.  Im spending too much at the coffee shops when Im out...

My neighbour has a Saeco Magic Deluxe and I nearly bought one of them pre-loved for $380 but after a bit of reading I think I would be limiting my enjoyment of making coffee at home.

Now, Im an impatient bugger by nature but Ive restrained myself which is quiet amazing.  I was nearly about to buy a Sunbeam 6910 with free grinder for $699 but it just didnt feel right because I have so many doubts about how long it will last and Im from Scotland and hate wasting money.  
      So ya think that coming here will take the nail out of ya foot ??  Whel if ya have a partner... They will put a nail in teh other foot; when they become a Coffee divorcee  ;D

OH...  WELCOME to CS  ;D

You will not stop spending money on coffee; but it will be of better quality and savings can be had.. ( Until - Upgraditius TIME)

The Saeco Magic Deluxe would have been more than a lack of involvement, it would also cost ya lots extra for little improvement over instant  

Look the SB is not a bad unit... I actually like the unit.. Like it a lot actually...  :-* However it is a little soft in some sections and thus when teh Coffee NUBE who has read Choice and the local rag; thinks they are a hot shot BARISTA...  They will and do shorten the life of the said unit..  :

From Scotland and hate wasting $$$  I understood ya to be all tight fisted and that ya have to use a can opener, to get even a penny from ya fist   ;D 8-)

Every one tryes to go cheep and then after ya first upgrade... Ya realise ya lost $$$ and time...

Many will push you at any number of units... And most will be great and do the work.... But trust me teh GRINDER, will be the first to let ya down and in general; any thing less that a rocky will see you upgrading sooner rather than later...

The roaster ya going to see may even be able to offer contacts...

But contact a Sponsor or two... AND as stated above... For the $$$ and the tight fists involved; these all in one units are NOT bad...  Will outlast the SB and many other units that cost half again...  Further more, teh grinder is reasonable and well matched...

Yes ...  When ya go to upgrade, you will be up for TWO items... But by then you will know what you want and would have saved some pennies and be able to get what you WANT....

OH...  Welcome to CS..

PS.  Why the long reply...   Ya gave me some good info, set the background and indicated where ya want to go..  In addition some tight fisted people gave my wife and I a great time when we were over that way...

Comment

Originally posted by 71707A697772681B0 link=1255089893/1#1 date=1255091448
        I own one of these as well as an EM6910.Id definitely go for the Italian.
        You wont get a more informed reply.

Comment

Well from a 6900 owner i cant go past it, ease of use quick heat up time, but then again there are alot of machines out there to pick from, if ur budget it tight at the 700 mark and wont go no further then i believe the 6910 is the way to go, if you can stretch it alittle then a rocky grinder is a great place to start, a friend recently bought a rocky grinder and a stove top and is saving for the espresso machine, and his coffee is quite nice, so maybe it could be worth while to spend alittle more on the grinder and wait a short while for the machine, lots of different opinions here you shall find

Comment

Thanks for the good advice so far. I went to Pioneer Coffee Roastery in Yandina today and had a coffee which was very nice and I bought some coffee for the plunger, Rainforest Blend I think. I also bought a magazine "Home Coffee Machine Review 2nd Edition" which has loads of info in it about coffee, and some espresso machine reviews but they are all good reviews so it doesnt help me out any.

Off to check out a few machine websites and some sponsers.

Comment

Still undecided and I wouldnt mind going to a few places to try out the machines. Does anyone know of a shop on the Sunshine Coast, or even Brisbane North? Im struggling to find places and Im avoiding the HN stores because they dont know a thing about their products.

At the moment the Lelit Combi was winning but I have concerns. Will the beans be okay left in the machine? I read somewhere that the heat generated by the machine will make then go stale quicker. Also whats the support like for the machine, spares etc. Will they be available in x years down the track when I need them (maybe).

I never thought buying an espresso machine would be this difficult. At least Im learning about it all as I research the machines.

Comment

Originally posted by 6F4240464B4A4E230 link=1255089893/6#6 date=1255388698
                At the moment the Lelit Combi was winning but I have concerns. Will the beans be okay left in the machine? I read somewhere that the heat generated by the machine will make then go stale quicker. Also whats the support like for the machine, spares etc.
                Good questions, I’ll attempt to answer as best I can.

With regards to heat in the bean hopper of the Lelit, I can honestly say that the temperature in the hopper seems to be the same as ambient room temp. So far I have only tested this buy putting my hand in the hopper (not very scientific). I plan on buying a thermocouple soon (for roasting purposes) and promise to do this test, as it’s a question that’s been raised about this machine before but never answered AFAIK.

I would say the fluctuations in room temperature over a typical day would be greater than any temperature increases in the hopper.

With any grinder, built-in or stand alone, you shouldn’t really leave the beans in the hopper for any long periods of time. At home, I leave the beans in the hopper during the weekend as I know they’re going to get used. During the week though, I only make one coffee in the morning so empty the hopper back into a vacuum container after finishing.

One downside of my Napoletana (and I’m assuming the Lelit is the same) is that you can’t empty the beans out of the hopper. Your only option is to try and scoop as many out as you can with your hands, but you can’t get them all due to the hopper’s shape. If you lift the hopper out, any remaining beans fall into the machine. I personally consider this a fairly minor inconvenience; the more you read the more you’ll realise that EVERY machine has its flaws.

With regards to support and spares, that’s a question probably best answered by one of the sponsors. I can say that it’s a machine that’s been made by Lelit for many years (under many different names) with minor variations. I don’t believe spare parts would be any issue. If you do buy the machine I would recommend purchasing a spare group seal and shower screen. These are considered ‘consumables’ that need to be changed eventually.

The Lelit has a very traditional and simple design. Any competent espresso machine technician should not have an issue performing repairs. Sponsors such as Talk Coffee have a wide network of repair agents should a problem occur.

Comment

Originally posted by 393832213F3A20530 link=1255089893/7#7 date=1255390333
                  Originally posted by 6F4240464B4A4E230 link=1255089893/6#6 date=1255388698
                  At the moment the Lelit Combi was winning but I have concerns.  Will the beans be okay left in the machine?  I read somewhere that the heat generated by the machine will make then go stale quicker.  Also whats the support like for the machine, spares etc.
                  Good questions, I’ll attempt to answer as best I can.

With regards to heat in the bean hopper of the Lelit, I can honestly say that the temperature in the hopper seems to be the same as ambient room temp.  So far I have only tested this buy putting my hand in the hopper (not very scientific). I plan on buying a thermocouple soon (for roasting purposes) and promise to do this test, as it’s a question that’s been raised about this machine before but never answered AFAIK.

I would say the fluctuations in room temperature over a typical day would be greater than any temperature increases in the hopper.  

With any grinder, built-in or stand alone, you shouldn’t really leave the beans in the hopper for any long periods of time.  At home, I leave the beans in the hopper during the weekend as I know they’re going to get used.  During the week though, I only make one coffee in the morning so empty the hopper back into a vacuum container after finishing.

One downside of my Napoletana (and I’m assuming the Lelit is the same) is that you can’t empty the beans out of the hopper.  Your only option is to try and scoop as many out as you can with your hands, but you can’t get them all due to the hopper’s shape.  If you lift the hopper out, any remaining beans fall into the machine.  I personally consider this a fairly minor inconvenience; the more you read the more you’ll realise that EVERY machine has its flaws.

With regards to support and spares, that’s a question probably best answered by one of the sponsors.  I can say that it’s a machine that’s been made by Lelit for many years (under many different names) with minor variations.  I don’t believe spare parts would be any issue.  If you do buy the machine I would recommend purchasing a spare group seal and shower screen.  These are considered ‘consumables’ that need to be changed eventually.  

The Lelit has a very traditional and simple design.  Any competent espresso machine technician should not have an issue performing repairs.  Sponsors such as Talk Coffee have a wide network of repair agents should a problem occur.  
                  You should never leave beans in teh grinder - Full stop.. Thus if you add the right amount... Not a problem.. Most do teh same with their stand alone grinders any way.

Support - SEE SPONSOR... If ya buy elseware - YOUR Problem :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 527D7476615E727D7274767E767D67130 link=1255089893/8#8 date=1255399384
                    You should never leave beans in teh grinder - Full stop..
                    Only if youre obsessive compulsive - and thats a disorder. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 1F3E353532285B0 link=1255089893/9#9 date=1255400361
                      Originally posted by 527D7476615E727D7274767E767D67130 link=1255089893/8#8 date=1255399384
                      You should never leave beans in teh grinder - Full stop..
                      Only if youre obsessive compulsive - and thats a disorder.  ;D
                      ROFLMAO... Took a min before I looked at ya profile ;D

I dont leave beans in teh grinder - cause if I do I have to grind to make a coffee... Got nothing to do with beans going stale

Unless ya a Monday to Friday cafe and you top up ALL ya 2 KG hoppers every night so that ya ready to go in the morning.. Bugger of a coffee first up Monday ;D

Comment

Are there any sponsers in SE QLD on this site? All the ones Ive looked at are Melbourne & Sydney. They dont have to sell the Lelit just have some machines that I can see, maybe test out, get some advice and maybe even buy one.

Comment

here
                          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163931729

and here
                          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163934198

Comment

Originally posted by 173A383E3332365B0 link=1255089893/11#11 date=1255408379
                            Are there any sponsers in SE QLD on this site?  All the ones Ive looked at are Melbourne & Sydney.  They dont have to sell the Lelit just have some machines that I can see, maybe test out, get some advice and maybe even buy one.
                            <<<<< It took just a couple of minutes to check over yonder :

QLD sponsors: Barazi, Gilkatho, Go Barista, Supreme Roasters, Veneziano, Pioneer Coffee, QCMS...

Wasnt that hard after all  :-?

Comment

Thanks for the help but I did have a good look though, but I just cant find any that sell a manual type in my budget. I might try the yellowpages or have a long think about the Lelit. I would just have preferred to buy a machine local so that I can get local support and maybe some training with it seeing as Im new to all this.

I just cant justify a $2000 to the wife when I havent even made an espresso before + shes a tea lover at heart.

FYI I did visit Pioneer @ Yandina but didnt see much in the way of domestic machines for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X