Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

    Ive got one of these on my bench for a good friend, to whom Id owe a lot of favours if they were counted, so trying to diagnose the problem with it. Unfortunately, case off, it doesnt seem to be leaking anywhere, but steam pressure is sucky and very on/off, and it seems to be pushing water through the OPV while steaming.

    Ive made judicious use of the search function, but not had any luck finding a solution - can anyone help?

    cheers,

    John.

  • #2
    Re: EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

    Originally posted by 5C71707B617C616C150 link=1255321987/0#0 date=1255321987
    Ive got one of these on my bench for a good friend, to whom Id owe a lot of favours if they were counted, so trying to diagnose the problem with it. Unfortunately, case off, it doesnt seem to be leaking anywhere, but steam pressure is sucky and very on/off, and it seems to be pushing water through the OPV while steaming.

    Ive made judicious use of the search function, but not had any luck finding a solution - can anyone help?

    cheers,

    John.
    Do a de scale of the steam wand.  See a post from me and senator yesterday as to what to be aware of. Outside and change the Steam TEMP and RATE..

    [edit]Also be aware that the pump is under 5 years warranty so be careful as to how much you get involved or the warranty could be made VOID.. The Pump is not cheep >$80 as it has a fancy bypass attachment and it is very fine. Hence scale can be an issue if the user has not been managing water quality..

    The other issue is that the coil could on the way out... Have seen 3 recently that suffered intermittent problems and then went open cct... Warranty..

    But if scale has got in and block the pump its self... USER..[/edit]


    AM

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

      Thanks AM,

      having descaled with a very weak vinegar solution (one slop of vinegar to a nearly-full tank of water), and then run the steam arm extensively (through about a litre > 1.25l) on wettest/coldest settings, the water left was a tinge brown, then letting it recover for 10 mins and running again led to black/very dark brown liquid oozing out. continued to flush with filtered water until this passed, and it was fine again, continued for another 250ml of steam or so to ensure taint was out, then steamed milk in approx 20 seconds for 200ml jug, at driest setting.

      as the machine was out of warranty (and had already been pulled apart to check for leaks), it seemed like a no-lose option.

      The internals seem very delicate here - Id not use a generic cleaner.

      Ive advised the owner of correct milk purging routines - on a more expensive machine thisd end up in the boiler, and thats a really pricey fix.

      Thx also to senator.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

        Originally posted by 1934353E24392429500 link=1255321987/2#2 date=1255412196
        Thanks AM,

        having descaled with a very weak vinegar solution (one slop of vinegar to a nearly-full tank of water), and then run the steam arm extensively (through about a litre > 1.25l) on wettest/coldest settings, the water left was a tinge brown, then letting it recover for 10 mins and running again led to black/very dark brown liquid oozing out. continued to flush with filtered water until this passed, and it was fine again, continued for another 250ml of steam or so to ensure taint was out, then steamed milk in approx 20 seconds for 200ml jug, at driest setting.

        as the machine was out of warranty (and had already been pulled apart to check for leaks), it seemed like a no-lose option.

        The internals seem very delicate here - Id not use a generic cleaner.

        Ive advised the owner of correct milk purging routines - on a more expensive machine thisd end up in the boiler, and thats a really pricey fix.

        Thx also to senator.
        No problem... Some one else was also looking at cleaning their steam lines... So it all helps.. Thus directed them to this post...

        I have found that on the units I have had to try and repair / fix etc that they have been SO BAD that only a good quality de scaler OR nothing..

        Some have taken the best part of 48hr and under a vacuum / reverse pressure to get a clear path... Need to disconnect teh pump as in this case it was about the STEAM block being full of crap..

        And excess pressure on the Steam pump is NOT GOOD>>>>

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

          yeah, this one is still a bit flaky, but not worth any more of my time as the owner struggles to look after it. took me 30 mins of scrubbing to get the milk off the outside of the steam arm, and he thinks thats okay

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EM6910 steam pressure + leak from opv when steaming

            Originally posted by 14393833293429245D0 link=1255321987/4#4 date=1255789548
            took me 30 mins of scrubbing to get the milk off the outside of the steam arm, and he thinks thats okay
            Thats because the "seasoning" imparts extra flavour.

            Comment

            Working...
            X