No announcement yet.

good pour, good timing... bitter taste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good pour, good timing... bitter taste?

Hey guys,

just thought id ask a question...

i have an em6910, and have worked out the right grind and tamp and so forth... i press the pour and it has a beautiful pour.. syrupy thick... and the beans are fresh, crema is also lovely and thick on top...

so to my disappointment, everytime i taste it, i get a bitter taste like at the back of my tongue... not that pleasant...

once i put milk in it... it tastes good, no dramas... but i would prefer not to mask my drink in milk (even tho i prefer milk based coffee)

is there any tips on fixing this? should i lower the espresso block temperature on it? up it? what are your thoughts?

Re: good pour, good timing... bitter taste?

How long does it take to pour the shot? What beans are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by 3037010405600 link=1256978897/0#0 date=1256978897
      Hey guys,

just thought id ask a question...

i have an em6910, and have worked out the right grind and tamp and so forth... i press the pour and it has a beautiful pour.. syrupy thick... and the beans are fresh, crema is also lovely and thick on top...

so to my disappointment, everytime i taste it, i get a bitter taste like at the back of my tongue... not that pleasant...

once i put milk in it... it tastes good, no dramas... but i would prefer not to mask my drink in milk (even tho i prefer milk based coffee)

is there any tips on fixing this? should i lower the espresso block temperature on it? up it? what are your thoughts?
      I know the purists will recoil in horror but Ive always taken my shots with about half a teaspoon of sugar, makes a word of difference.
      Like you I find a straight shot somewhat bitter, regardless of the beans I use.
      Heres an interesting link http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/...gar-t2028.html

Comment

Originally posted by 302E2C28263A27262028430 link=1256978897/1#1 date=1256980987
        How long does it take to pour the shot?  What beans are you using?
        im using espresso wow at the moment... for 30ml it definitely takes less than 30 seconds... hard to tell with the LOADS of crema on top of it... but yeh... (you count the crema on top yeh? or just the shot?)

generally use fresh beans for it... but for just about any bean i get the same result

Comment

Originally posted by 3136000504610 link=1256978897/3#3 date=1256982807
          Originally posted by 302E2C28263A27262028430 link=1256978897/1#1 date=1256980987
          How long does it take to pour the shot?  What beans are you using?
          im using espresso wow at the moment... for 30ml it definitely takes less than 30 seconds... hard to tell with the LOADS of crema on top of it... but yeh... (you count the crema on top yeh? or just the shot?)

generally use fresh beans for it... but for just about any bean i get the same result
          As a guide a shot of espresso 25 ml should take approx 25 seconds, I imagine what you are getting would be a little thin (under extracted)

Comment

Just your taste buds if its happening with just about every bean you have?

I always find straight espresso bitter and slightly unpleasant, which is probably why Ill never be a cupper.

There is a method that Chris from Talk Coffee taught me about where on the tongue you are tasting the coffee and what it means in relation to bitter or sour, but I just cant put my finger on it at the moment (the information, not my tongue!)

Comment

Originally posted by 5E796F7D65160 link=1256978897/5#5 date=1257023317
              There is a method that Chris from Talk Coffee taught me about where on the tongue you are tasting the coffee and what it means in relation to bitter or sour, but I just cant put my finger on it at the moment (the information, not my tongue!)
              yeh maybe it is my tastebuds... not refined enough perhaps? haha...

also i believe sour is along the middle and front, acidic tones are noted on the sides of the tongue and bitter at the back of your tongue... if it is really bad and bitter back of tongue and your throat too haha ive had that before...

this is what i can remember...

Comment

Originally posted by 526E677F6A0B0 link=1256978897/4#4 date=1256983439
                As a guide a shot of espresso 25 ml should take approx 25 seconds, I imagine what you are getting would be a little thin (under extracted)
                it doesnt appear to be under extracted... good pour and all... i measure it out but most of it seems to be crema... so it is hard to tell where i measure it to... do i just go with the crema height?

Comment

Originally posted by 4E497F7A7B1E0 link=1256978897/7#7 date=1257048658
                  Originally posted by 526E677F6A0B0 link=1256978897/4#4 date=1256983439
                  it doesnt appear to be under extracted... good pour and all... i measure it out but most of it seems to be crema... so it is hard to tell where i measure it to... do i just go with the crema height?
                  Its not cast in stone, I have a clear shot glass with marks at 15, 30 and 60 ml, use it every once in a while as a check, what Im looking for is 25 to 30 ml of coffee with crema on top, if your using espresso cups you will finish up with approx half a cup including crema.
                  The measuring glass I mentioned came form a coffee place in Melbourne, Coffee parts have them http://www.coffeeparts.com/accessories/dosing-cups.html as you can see only a few bucks.
                  Have you tried my suggestion re sugar? its not sacrilege, we all have different tastes.
                  Cheers,
                  Jon.

Comment

Yes, count the crema.

Bitterness (back of tongue) is increased by longer extractions or more water contact. Both increase caffeine, which is intensely bitter.

With a double basket, try for 25 ml (total) in 25 seconds. Its a "ristretto" and is the only way I can drink my shots black, no sugar.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 4B7E696B5B637E616D60680C0 link=1256978897/9#9 date=1257067673
                      Yes, count the crema.

Bitterness (back of tongue) is increased by longer extractions or more water contact. Both increase caffeine, which is intensely bitter.

With a double basket, try for 25 ml (total) in 25 seconds. Its a "ristretto" and is the only way I can drink my shots black, no sugar.

Greg
                      Agree...

A small drop (half a tea spoon is a good start) of golden syrup realy adds another chapter to a "ristretto" as it it not overly sweet and has an interesting flavour... Has become one of my top drinks...

Comment

Originally posted by 654A43415669454A45434149414A50240 link=1256978897/10#10 date=1257068352
                        Originally posted by 4B7E696B5B637E616D60680C0 link=1256978897/9#9 date=1257067673
                        Yes, count the crema.

Greg
                        Agree...

A small drop (half a tea spoon is a good start) of golden syrup realy adds another chapter to a "ristretto" as it it not overly sweet and has an interesting flavour...  Has become one of my top drinks...
                        Yep, as I said try a bit of sugar (The high fructose content of golden syrup gives it a sweeter taste than an equivalent solution of white sugar; when substituting golden syrup for white sugar, about 25% less golden syrup is needed for the same level of sweetness)
                        could make a world of difference, some of us just naturally have a sweet tooth. ;D

Comment

Google results for the tongue map are interesting... something I was taught in high school and have always accepted.

To the OP - is it possible that part of the taste is sourness (I would have said youd taste it at the sides of your tongue rather than the back... but now know better )? Shots from my Sunbeam are always a bit sour, even with the temp dialed right up, p/f preheated with boiling water etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D40000 link=1256978897/12#12 date=1257121898
                            Google results for the tongue map are interesting... something I was taught in high school and have always accepted.

To the OP - is it possible that part of the taste is sourness (I would have said youd taste it at the sides of your tongue rather than the back... but now know better )? Shots from my Sunbeam are always a bit sour, even with the temp dialed right up, p/f preheated with boiling water etc.
                            it is possible... ive always thought of it as bitter with the whole back of the tongue yuck feel... but after reading about these myths of the tongue tasting...

just so u know where im coming from...
                            i went to The Rocks Cafe in sydney and asked for a short black, it was strong, but pleasant... nothing blech on the tongue... i try it on mine to get that flavour and i still get the "blech"

i have put my espresso boiler temp up to the max to see the difference... once again, a bit blech, with milk, tastes good... even with a double...

Comment

Have you tried different blends? or maybe you could buy some of the beans that you enjoy from the Rocks cafe then try to duplicate the taste.

Comment

Working...
                              X