Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM 6900 Steaming Advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM 6900 Steaming Advice

    Now that Ive got my grinder operating again [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif](thanks AM [smiley=dankk2.gif]) does anyone know how to improve the steaming action of a Sunbeam EM 6900 (purchased April 2006). Im not happy with the quality of the steam being produced (not much different to when it was new, but then I knew no better). I also have a Saco Via Venezia which I use because it seems to produce a drier steam product but it takes 4 to 5 tries to steam enough milk for two cups. I know the Saco has a very small boiler and the Sunbeam has a thermoblock. Some coffee techhead in the Canberra area would suit me fine althouglh have car will travel.

  • #2
    Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

    What sort of issues are you having when you say youre not happy with the quality of the steam being produced?

    Is it too wet/dry? too slow/fast?

    Admiteddly Im using a 6910 - some slight changes that Im aware of to the steam wand but (I dont think) anything too drastic - its taken a little getting used to but Im getting a pretty good texture to my milk after some machine adjustments and (more so) technique adjustments

    AM has posted a good steam test over at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1227858558 - might be worth a shot to see how your machine compares?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

      I was having all sorts of trouble with texturing using my Sunbeam that I recently got as well but now Ive got it working pretty well even getting some latte art happening....not that I can do it but the milk texture is starting to look really good and getting some wobbly rosettas.

      Im by no means an expert being reasonably new to the whole coffee scene but heres what I have found with my Sunbeam. I would be interested on other peoples comments on what I am doing. Im seeing AM reading what Ive written below and shaking his head....lol

      First thing I did was take everyones advice on here and stop using the Sunbean supplied jug. Instead Im using a much smaller one. Sorry not sure of the capacity but a bit under half of what the Sunbeam held.

      I tend to have the wand as straight up and down as I can holding the jug next to the left on the front corner of the spill tray the wands about an inch in from the right side of the jug close to centre. Im holding the jug almost upright with just enough tilt to get a whirlpool going.

      Next I only stretch the milk until the jug just starts to get warm on the outside outherwise it become foamy. After that I sink it so that almost all the tip is under the surface until I get to the right temp.

      Hope this helps....

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

        Originally posted by 7263776E7176636B6C71607B3430020 link=1259130293/2#2 date=1259189436
        I was having all sorts of trouble with texturing using my Sunbeam that I recently got as well but now Ive got it working pretty well even getting some latte art happening....not that I can do it but the milk texture is starting to look really good and getting some wobbly rosettas.

        Im by no means an expert being reasonably new to the whole coffee scene but heres what I have found with my Sunbeam. I would be interested on other peoples comments on what I am doing. Im seeing AM reading what Ive written below and shaking his head....lol

        First thing I did was take everyones advice on here and stop using the Sunbean supplied jug. Instead Im using a much smaller one. Sorry not sure of the capacity but a bit under half of what the Sunbeam held.

        I tend to have the wand as straight up and down as I can holding the jug next to the left on the front corner of the spill tray the wands about an inch in from the right side of the jug close to centre. Im holding the jug almost upright with just enough tilt to get a whirlpool going.

        Next I only stretch the milk until the jug just starts to get warm on the outside outherwise it become foamy. After that I sink it so that almost all the tip is under the surface until I get to the right temp.

        Hope this helps....
        It is what works for you... Steaming can be a right pain or silky smooth

        Its all about tip placement and angle for me.... No ribald comments thanks

        Yet my Daughter and wife used a different method and could also get great micro foam and if I tried.. Just froth.

        A: Fill to just under the start of the spout...

        B: Tip just under and not sucking AIR and making a screaming noise

        C: I would hold in my palm at a slight angle and rest one or two fingers on the edge of the drip tray. As the milk would expand, I would just let my fingers / flex / bend and keep the tip in the required position

        Sounds simple... But wife could not get it..

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

          Thank you DA for your reference to AMs http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1227858558 of 29Nov2008 - nearly a year old now.

          I have just tried it out and my 60sec run collected approx 40+ ml; this would indicate (wouldnt it) that the steam is fairly wet and the reason why the stretched milk was found to be nowhere near as satisfactory as the Sacos.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

            Originally posted by 765D4F5A515D797B6C380 link=1259130293/4#4 date=1259208078
            Thank you DA  for your reference to AMs http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1227858558 of 29Nov2008 - nearly a year old now.  

            I have just tried it out and my 60sec run collected approx 40+ ml;  this would indicate (wouldnt it) that the steam is fairly wet and the reason why the stretched milk was found to be nowhere near as satisfactory as the Sacos.
            YES... Wet.. But was your system at Default or some other setting ?

            If at default then change ya settings slightly.. i.e One step Hotter and maybe one step towards dryer.

            Remember one change at a time and then test :-)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

              [smiley=happy.gif]Thanks AM. I believe this EM 6900 which was purchased approx April 2006 and has a serial number embossed in the black patch on the rear of the machine inside the door - S/No. 146 - must be one of the oldest ones in captivity - therefore I further believe it has only two defaults ON & OFF and as far as "I" know they cannot be changed. If anyone can advise me differently Id be much obliged.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                Originally posted by 78575E5C4B745857585E5C545C574D390 link=1259130293/5#5 date=1259226279
                If at default then change ya settings slightly.
                6900s didnt have adjustable steam settings IIRC.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                  Thanks TG, but have we got any CS types out there with a mod to fix this dilemma without upgrading to an HX? [smiley=undecided.gif]I would like to but she who must be obeyed has fixed me with a fiendish stare [smiley=evil.gif]
                  By the way what does the acronym IIRC mean?? [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                    Originally posted by 092230252E22060413470 link=1259130293/8#8 date=1259305899
                    Thanks TG, but have we got any CS types out there with a mod to fix this dilemma without upgrading to an HX?    [smiley=undecided.gif]I would like to but she who must be obeyed has fixed me with a fiendish stare  [smiley=evil.gif]
                    By the way what does the acronym IIRC mean?? [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

                    If I Recollect Correctly

                    I had a mod at 90% but due to parts being pulled and sent off to others... It came to a halt..

                    PM me and next week I will have a chat to some in teh know... As to what might be able to be done.

                    However, depending on the condition it may not be worth the effort.


                    I could make a Combo unit up for you from the EM6910 I have here - 90% complete... Just missing a steam pump and has a untried but modified collar... Brass rivets have been embedded.  Yours could be a new collar as I have one here as well.  If you were willing...

                    I would be happy to keep your left over EM6900 and you would end up with an almost new EM6910...  For the cost of some parts / shipping...

                    PM ME....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                      Originally posted by 042B22203708242B24222028202B31450 link=1259130293/9#9 date=1259310525
                      If I Recollect Correctly

                      I had a mod at 90% but due to parts being pulled and sent off to others... It came to a halt..

                      PM me and next week I will have a chat to some in the know... As to what might be able to be done.

                      However, depending on the condition it may not be worth the effort.


                      I could make a Combo unit up for you from the EM6910 I have here - 90% complete... Just missing a steam pump and has a untried but modified collar... Brass rivets have been embedded.Yours could be a new collar as I have one here as well.If you were willing...

                      I would be happy to keep your left over EM6900 and you would end up with an almost new EM6910...For the cost of some parts / shipping...

                      PM ME....
                      Back to top
                      Hello Anger Management,
                      I am new to CS and even to forums. I cannot tell if I am supposed to read the top comment and move down or read the lowest comment and read upwards. Anyway, your comment caught my attention. I bought a used EM6900 and the portafilter moves too far to the right (past 6 o clock) , even after the group head seal has been renewed. My question is, why cant the group head collar be moved around by say ten degrees so that the portafilter sits at the corrct place or if the collar is worn, why cant the worn section be filled in somehow?
                      Also, are the parts for 6910 and 6900 interchangeable ? That is is it the same pump etc on both machines?
                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                        Originally posted by 54574F46414B45200 link=1259130293/10#10 date=1296951134
                        why cant the group head collar be moved around by say ten degrees so that the portafilter sits at the corrct place or if the collar is worn
                        I havent pulled one apart myself but imagine its screwed in place and only fits one way (as many things do).

                        Originally posted by 54574F46414B45200 link=1259130293/10#10 date=1296951134
                        why cant the worn section be filled in somehow
                        That may be possible but Id guess uneconomical.
                        I do have experience with 6900s and 6910s and the collar metal is quite soft.
                        Im guessing the collars were originally cast into shape and that the soft metal is too soft to have say, additional metal welded onto the worn spots.

                        As a temporary fix you can make up a cardboard spacer to place above the seal.
                        A piece of cereal box or notepad cardboard will do.
                        Just trace the size using the seal as your template.

                        This can get you by for a short while until youre ready to replace the collar.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                          Originally posted by 23203831363C32570 link=1259130293/10#10 date=1296951134
                          Originally posted by 042B22203708242B24222028202B31450 link=1259130293/9#9 date=1259310525
                          If I Recollect Correctly

                          I had a mod at 90% but due to parts being pulled and sent off to others... It came to a halt..

                          PM me and next week I will have a chat to some in the know... As to what might be able to be done.

                          However, depending on the condition it may not be worth the effort.


                          I could make a Combo unit up for you from the EM6910 I have here - 90% complete... Just missing a steam pump and has a untried but modified collar... Brass rivets have been embedded.Yours could be a new collar as I have one here as well.If you were willing...

                          I would be happy to keep your left over EM6900 and you would end up with an almost new EM6910...For the cost of some parts / shipping...

                          PM ME....
                          Back to top  
                          Hello Anger Management,

                          I am new to CS and even to forums. I cannot tell if I am supposed to read the top comment and move down or read the lowest comment and read upwards. Anyway, your comment caught my attention. I bought a used EM6900 and the portafilter moves too far to the right (past 6 o clock) , even after the group head seal has been renewed. My question is, why cant the group head collar be moved around by say ten degrees so that the portafilter sits at the corrct place or if the collar is worn, why cant the worn section be filled in somehow?
                          Also, are the parts for 6910 and 6900 interchangeable ? That is is it the same pump etc on both machines?
                          Thanks
                          It is never simple :-)

                          1: As you can see I am bottom posting and the Org Quoted details are above... This is teh MORE correct way and any future posts should be below.

                          That way any one can start at teh top and read down and KNOW what teh CONTEXT and History is..

                          Nothing worse that a Post or an E-Mail with YEP Sounds Good - Do it OR You WTF Biatch ???

                          No context is ver confusing.. On some forums a Top post and / or not quoting will see you kicked ASAP.

                          2: Collar is Keyed and for many reasons fixed..

                          3: Does not matter where teh Handle sticks out... Every one is different it is a visual indicator only.

                          The issue is does it leak ? If Yes ad a spacer and make sure the seal is NEW... Every 4 to 6 months and CLEAN teh whole group.

                          4: The collar is a soft material... $58 for a new one... Cost effective to change as teh new ones are better and you have to strip in either case...

                          5: Most every thing is interchangeable.. A new Control board will turn you EM6900 into a EM6910 in FUNCTIONALITY as to software controls etc...

                          There are some minor changes with some fittings, but in general teh same. EM6900 had better steam pump but poor Steam temp management. EM6910 had better management but went to a crappier pump and Steam OPV....

                          Ya all clear now ???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D






                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: EM 6900 Steaming Advice

                            Thankyou Anger Management.
                            I bow down to your knowledge. I have many projects unfinished (car tail light project, 5 unfinished lawn mowers, a car in pieces needing some panel work and a timing belt and water pump, unfinished cabinets that I started, dental grinders that need stripping, unfinished car stereo project , Tom Tom GPS in pieces awaiting new battery etc) so I think I will get this EM6900 apart and have that in pieces as well!

                            ;D

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X