Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experienced Barista wanting to know What to buy for home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced Barista wanting to know What to buy for home?

Hi all.  I am a very fussy and experienced coffee maker.  Have commercial 2 group Expobar (Megacrem), and commercial grinder,  which I have been using to do markets, functions and even dabbled in coffee talks/practicals for local cafes.  But that part of my life is having a break and so will be selling my lovely commercial machine.  The loss will be great (although we rarely set it up at home as way too much effort and room consuming).  Hence am thinking of getting a more home friendly machine.

So here is the question - considering I am experienced, have high expectations for quality of espresso shot and am used to a commercial machine for micro-foam perfection.  Is there any machine and grinder that I will be happy with in this price range?  Remembering that being experienced in coffee making I can cope with and of course will only want a manual machine.

Denhamia

Re: Experienced Barista wanting to know What to buy for home?

Originally posted by 60616A6C65696D65040 link=1260059759/0#0 date=1260059759
    Hi all.  I am a very fussy and experienced coffee maker.  Have commercial 2 group Expobar (Megacrem), and commercial grinder,  which I have been using to do markets, functions and even dabbled in coffee talks/practicals for local cafes.  But that part of my life is having a break and so will be selling my lovely commercial machine.  The loss will be great (although we rarely set it up at home as way too much effort and room consuming).  Hence am thinking of getting a more home friendly machine.

So here is the question - considering I am experienced, have high expectations for quality of espresso shot and am used to a commercial machine for micro-foam perfection.  Is there any machine and grinder that I will be happy with in this price range?  Remembering that being experienced in coffee making I can cope with and of course will only want a manual machine.

Denhamia
    Lots of specials on with the Sponsors AND if you wish you can provide a little more detail and $$$ and send of a group e-mail...

Those interested will respond..   Not all of them sit on CS looking at every post.

What is ya budget and time frame..

1: Grinder  <800   < 1.5k   < 2.2K

2: Machine - Single or double boiler  /  any size / power restrictions (10A or 15A) /  < 1k  < 2K  < 3K  < 5k

A couple of nice pre loved  units in the for sale section..

A cheep combo unit of grinder and machine for  <1k could be fine  or it could cost ya  ~6K plus..

Comment

You wont be disappointed with a HX (heat exchanger) machine

Bezzera Galatea
      VBM super
      Expobar
      Gioto

And grinder to suit
      Macap
      Mazzer
      Compak

The only factor missing is what you like visually & how the machines perform and feel for you

Where do you live

KK

Comment

Thanks so far.

Wanting to know if I can fulfill my needs under $1500 (for both grinder and machine).
        Looks are not important.
        10AMP is all I want (believe it or not my commercial machine is 10AMP so I can pug in anywhere).
        Double boiler would be too hopeful I would imagine in this price range?.

Denhamia

Comment

Originally posted by 4342494F464A4E46270 link=1260059759/3#3 date=1260061189
          Thanks so far.

Wanting to know if I can fulfill my needs under $1500 (for both grinder and machine).  
          Looks are not important.    
          10AMP is all I want (believe it or not my commercial machine is 10AMP so I can pug in anywhere).  
          Double boiler would be too hopeful I would imagine in this price range?.

Denhamia
          EM6910 ....  On special with a SB EM0450 grinder for under $800...  

Follow up with teh sponsors..

If ya budget is about $1500 for both...

Then start looking at the grinder first... A Quality grinder will mean ya can always upgrade later and in the worse case go for a cheaper machine NOW..

The rocky grinder would be the min level and that is going to see you with about 1K aprox for a machine..

For your wants / needs etc....  You may have to really sit back an re visit what you want / expect...

Second hand Silvia maybe ?

Comment

Comparing a commercial setup to a $1500 domestic version is going to leave the domestic far behind, unless you can locate some used equipment.

Good luck.

Greg

Comment

You pay for what you get
              If you have "high expectations" you need to revise "up" your budget

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 1C3831313232081C38243A38570 link=1260059759/6#6 date=1260062264
                You pay for what you get
                Orrrr, you may even get what you pay for. ;D

Comment

Doesnt sound hopeful. As i have had the luxury of a big machine I have not even had to think of a home set up. Have read lots of reviews on various machines for the home, but not had any chance to play with in real life. I notice that you can purchase home machines that are almost as expensive as small commercial ones. But what is the point unless you are wanting to push out commercial quantities of coffee?

Surely there is a machine that can fulfill ones needs for the odd great cup of coffee at home, without the commercial capacity for volume? If not Ill just have to stick with my stove top, and stay friendly with the cafe owners so I can go in and play every now and then!

Grinders on the other hand, I realise that you need fine adjustments but I think I can get out of that one for less than 400. If worse comes to worse I will keep my commercial grinder (which by the way only cost me 500 new and has been a fantastic grinder considering its price, the reason so cheap was it did not dose out accurately, which we did not need anyway, was noisy and it was clumsy in design, again no big issue)

Denhamia

Comment

Hi denhamia and welcome.

I think that you should keep your grinder as your brief is a $3k brief- so as others have suggested, your options are to lower your performance expectations or to increase your budget.

2nd hand may be the way to go:
                    Some great pre-loved CS options include:
                    [*]Jons VBM DS: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1259222539[*]Jamvers Giotto Premium: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1259839903[*]Our traded and souped up Giotto Premium (more like a premium plus now) http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/7#7[*]This Domus Galatea: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1258245980

All are worth a look and are good places to start...

Chris

Comment

Thanks all

Am reviewing both budget and looking up second hand. at least I have somewhere to start now. (Oh are we doing the right thing in selling our lovely little machine and business!!)

Denhamia

Comment

Originally posted by 5C5D565059555159380 link=1260059759/10#10 date=1260078161
                        are we doing the right thing in selling our lovely little machine and business
                        We dont know the whole story so that question cant be answered.

Comment

Originally posted by 595853555C50545C3D0 link=1260059759/8#8 date=1260065565
                          But what is the point unless you are wanting to push out commercial quantities of coffee?
                          It is not always about Quantity... That is teh failing behind many cafes ...

The real issue is functionality and consistency...

Thus to get great steam you need a big system or a small system that has been tweaked / modified to try to perform like a big machine..  = $$$$

Ya want a standard group etc etc...

Thus good coffee comes at a price.  and for that reason 2 + 2 = 5

If one was to look at your opening statement...

Originally posted by 595853555C50545C3D0 link=1260059759/0#0 date=1260059759
                          I am a very fussy and experienced coffee maker.  Have commercial 2 group Expobar (Megacrem), and commercial grinder,  which I have been using to do markets, functions and even dabbled in coffee talks/practicals for local cafes.

And then look at all your following posts...   I just wonder what info your imparting to the local cafes :-?

As to a comercial grinder and only costing $500.. Then at the very bottom of teh range and not what I would actually call true commercial. Entry level at best :-?

Thus to me;  it appears to be, that as per usual... There is a big divide between a person who might stand behind a commercial machine and states fussy Vs one who knows / understands and is truly passionate about coffee...   There is a big difference.

However it is a road that many of us travel and there are many lanes available.. Problem is that they do not all lead to much sort after Coffee Nirvana......

The other issue is what beans are you intending to use at home ?

Comment

Originally posted by 62464F4F4C4C7662465A4446290 link=1260059759/2#2 date=1260060417

Diadema
                            Bezzera Galatea
                            VBM super
                            Expobar
                            Giotto
                            You forgot to mention this great series of espresso machines....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 0F22262A274B0 link=1260059759/13#13 date=1260089038
                              Originally posted by 62464F4F4C4C7662465A4446290 link=1260059759/2#2 date=1260060417

Diadema
                              Bezzera Galatea
                              VBM super
                              Expobar
                              Giotto
                              You forgot to mention this great series of espresso machines....

Mal.
                              Sorry Mal I meant to add the Diadema just slipped my mind

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X