Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 + EM0480 - newbie impressions

Hi All

After a few years of playing around with lower end machines (a small Krups and SB EM5900) I finally took the bait and updated to an EM6910 with EM0480 grinder (the Sunbeam promo/special).

Machine:
    - happy with the build quality.
    - relatively simple to operate the the programmable single and double shot pour length is useful.
    - 58mm (commercial size?) group handle a plus. makes it easier to get coffee from grinder straight into basket.
    - baskets definitely on the LARGE size. both the pressurised and non-pressurised baskets are about 1 shot larger: singe approx 14g and double approx. 21g

Grinder:
    I already had an EM0480. This means now I have 2 of them. I need to decided what to do with the new one, as the older one is maybe 18 months old and has 25kg or so of coffee through it in its life.

- after reading through the forum, I have given it a through clean by dismantling the top 1/2 an a careful re-assembly. I also added an extra washer under the burrs. This gave a huge improvement in grinding range.

- this grinder always produced a slightly "fluffy" coffee which makes dosing a challenge if youre not used to it.

Accessories:
    - the Sunbeam DVD is a good thing to watch, as they explain the machine and once you understand the design logic its easier to work with.

Results thus far:
    - having bargained the merchant down a few nothches from the 799 RRP, this is by far the best deal on a new machine/grinder combo that I could find.
    - using Cosmorex "Rio Gold" blend gives very nice results. This is supposed to be their "European testing blend".
    - Machine + adjusted grinder combo lest me pull lovely rich syrupy espresso shots that I can drink without any milk or sugar.
    - there is only a small hint of acid and bitter back bite. This is most likely imperfection in my grind/dosing.
    - must get better consistency in the grind/dosing/tamping. Any hits/tricks on best process to achieve this?

Once I am out of these beans, will change coffee blends see if I can get a result that suits my tastes a bit better.

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 + EM0480 - newbie impressions

From one newbie to another ... congrats!

Not sure how much help but try the following two links as guide for packing & dosing

http://www.espressovivace.com/archives/9103col.html

http://www.espressovivace.com/article2p1.html

As for grind, I am looking for consistency myself. Believe most of the snobs on the forum will tell you it will be dependant on the freshness of the beans and type of beans you are grinding.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 332A24470 link=1262128141/0#0 date=1262128141
      - must get better consistency in the grind/dosing/tamping. Any hits/tricks on best process to achieve this?
      I say practice and then do it again and again...

Took me nearly 18months Plus; to be what I would call consistent, on my EM6910 and a few other Em6910s.. Then traded up..

Bugger me... Almost 6 months down teh track... And due to Beans and Grinders and weather and home roasting... Consistency is not my best outcome... Sure the coffee is great to above average for most who try it... But fo me... NOT good enough...

So remember, you will be your worse critic... And its whats in teh cup that counts...

There are lots of Basic rules and guides... THEY ARE INDICATORS.... 2 + 2 = 5

They are not a gold standard... If ya hold them up as such; you will set ya self up to fail....

Comment

Anger,

you are absolutely right about me being my own critic. that comes with being a perfectionist at heart.

absolutely perfect pic. This will need to be printed up and go on the wall of my cubicle at work...

Comment

Originally posted by 5D4952485053493B0 link=1262128141/1#1 date=1262844786
          Not sure how much help but try the following two links as guide for packing & dosing

http://www.espressovivace.com/archives/9103col.html

http://www.espressovivace.com/article2p1.html
          Useful to keep as a reference, and to help reinforce the practice and practice some more principle.

thank you

TMC

Comment

Originally posted by 7E67690A0 link=1262128141/0#0 date=1262128141
            must get better consistency in the grind/dosing/tamping
            The EM0480 is the lowest entry level grinder.
            I had one and quickly upgraded to a Gaggia MDF.
            The inconsistency occasionally will come down to this grinder.
            Nothing you can do about that except make the best of your dose/tamp.

Sell your new grinder for as much as you can and put the money aside for when you eventually decide to upgrade.
            Until then they are an adequate combo.

Comment

The EM0480 is the lowest entry level grinder
              Not only that, but its damn noisy too. Way too noisy and scatters the grinder all over the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by 795E5A55765455505E423B0 link=1262128141/6#6 date=1262910599
                Way too noisy and scatters the grinder all over the shop.
                Not as noisy as some and it can be managed... As to grinds all over teh place.. Only had that on my first one... After a minor mod and change of method, that one and the other two were OK...

Still a base entry grinder... But for the $$$, you will be hard pressed to find any thing else that comes even close...

Comment

Im in the same boat. Newly acquired pair just prior to Christmas. Agree with the comment about the scatter of the grinds. Havent quite figured out how to stop that, so if there is a mod or better technique out there, Id love to hear about it.

Having problems with the consistency. Neighbour brought over some very young Di Bella beans (four day from roast). Its some of the nicest, fluffiest coffee I have had on the machine (great crema). I think there is a lot of playing left with both the grinder and the machine to get a better (optimum) grind / pour.

I am finding that the factory double shot pour slightly over extracts. Neighbour (who is still negotiating with wife for "high end" first coffee set-up :-) ) recommends a set time (rather than volume) for the pour.

Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by 4C7D686E757F7732534F697070756A7D721C0 link=1262128141/8#8 date=1263196836
                    Im in the same boat. Newly acquired pair just prior to Christmas. Agree with the comment about the scatter of the grinds. Havent quite figured out how to stop that, so if there is a mod or better technique out there, Id love to hear about it.

Having problems with the consistency. Neighbour brought over some very young Di Bella beans (four day from roast). Its some of the nicest, fluffiest coffee I have had on the machine (great crema). I think there is a lot of playing left with both the grinder and the machine to get a better (optimum) grind / pour.

I am finding that the factory double shot pour slightly over extracts. Neighbour (who is still negotiating with wife for "high end" first coffee set-up  :-) ) recommends a set time (rather than volume) for the pour.

Any thoughts anyone?
                    Welcome..

Please look through the previous posts on the EM6910 and in teh grinder section, for info on the Em0480...

1: Fresh beans from Di Bella and other sponsors is a good first step..

2: Its what in teh cup that counts...  Rule of thumb is approx 60ml for 30sec from a double basket.. But it is only a guide...

3: Watch the vid

4: Do the SB training

5: Lots of Posts as to modifying the program to suit your liking

6: If it starts to blond; then hit the button to stop... You do not have to wait for it to time out.

Do some reading as there are two types of baskets and if you hold up to the light and not see lots of holes... Then your using the wrong basket.

Read and follow the CS search tips as posted here to help you find what your looking for.  http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

Comment

Originally posted by 043520263D373F7A1B072138383D22353A540 link=1262128141/8#8 date=1263196836
                      I am finding that the factory double shot pour slightly over extracts. Neighbour (who is still negotiating with wife for "high end" first coffee set-up recommends a set time (rather than volume) for the pour.

Any thoughts anyone?
                      Originally posted by 153A33312619353A35333139313A20540 link=1262128141/9#9 date=1263197414
                      6: If it starts to blond; then hit the button to stop... You do not have to wait for it to time out.

Comment

as for the 0480 being messy, there are some posts in the grinder section, I would think they go back a good 8 - 12 months or so that had the specifications of a grind guard that fitted the 480 well.

I made one up of laminated sheet and fitted it to the 480. This combined with the silicon spout kept 99% of the stray grinds within the main area of the grinder and was easy to dose direct into the handle.

the thread title was something to do with mess, but cant remember beyond that. have a search, see what you dig up

Sen

Comment

@ Thundergod
                          So, what are you trying to say?

Neighbour brought over some very young Di Bella beans (four day from roast)
                          Errr, after four days I wouldnt call that "Too Fresh". Four days and they are half way into turning into a pumpkin

Comment

Originally posted by 2007030C2F0D0C09071B620 link=1262128141/12#12 date=1263245359
                            @ Thundergod
                            So, what are you trying to say?
                            : Dont worry about set time or volume; worry about blonding.

Comment

I find the EM6910 an EXCELLENT machine, but the Sunbeam grinder is not match for it I am afraid. I went through 2 of them before buying a doserless Rocky which is great.

The Rocky is also very messy though as I imagine most doserless grinders are. AND, I need my rocky on the finest setting ( "0" ) in order to get the right grind for the EM6910.

Obviously the fresh coffee makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

10 out of 10 for the EM6910 though - damn fine unit !

Comment

Working...
                              X