Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar ?? Any recommendations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuova Simonelli Oscar ?? Any recommendations ?

Hi guys - first post on here. We are looking at buying a sub $1500 machine here in Brisbane and have seen the Nuova Simonelli Oscar which we are quite interested in. I want something that is not a thermo block and something with good steaming capacity. Can anyone recommend this machine or any thing in this league. Thanks guys.

Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar ?? Any recommendations ?

Hi and welcome to the site. I just got my hands on an Oscar a couple of days ago so only have limited experience.

I bought it for the office and use a Giotto at home. The obvious difference between the 2 is the package - lots of shiny stainless steel in the Giotto, while the Oscar is all plastic.

I have not done a side by side comparison but so far would say te Oscar is capable of producing an equally excellent shot. Steam power is huge, even more than the Giotto. That could be because the Oscar has a 4-hole steam tip.

The Oscar is the cheapest HX machine on the market. Others start at around $2K.

Other options?

1. High quality non-HX machine such as the Vibiemme Domobar Junior or Diadema Perfetta. Perfect if you are only going to make 2 coffees at time. Not so good if you do a lot of entertaining.

2. Second hand well-cared-for HX machine.

3. Something a little different?
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265525881

Also, do you have a grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by 26272D3E20253F4C0 link=1266141159/1#1 date=1266148310
      Steam power is huge, even more than the Giotto. That could be because the Oscar has a 4-hole steam tip.
      Also has a 2L boiler.

Originally posted by 4247425E461B1B1C2B0 link=1266141159/0#0 date=1266141159
      or any thing in this league.  
      Barazi has a used Bezerra BZ02S http://www.barazi.com.au/Newsflash/s...years-old-1250

Comment

are there any of the sponsors who actually sell the oscar?

Comment

Originally posted by 51455E5C56595E5A370 link=1266141159/3#3 date=1266154974
          Tonino Lamborghini Caffe
          Jetblack Espresso

Comment

Originally posted by 63776C6E646B6C68050 link=1266141159/3#3 date=1266154974

Originally posted by 75747E6D73766C1F0 link=1266141159/4#4 date=1266189966
            Tonino Lamborghini Caffe
            Jetblack Espresso  
            Also Coffee-A-Roma

Comment

Ah yes, forgot they were sponsors.

Just tried making myself another flat white on the newly-acquired Oscar. Shots are great but still struggling with trying to create microfoam. It took me a good month or more on the Giotto, I thought after that it would be easy learning on any HX machine. More practice I guess....

Comment

Originally posted by 5B5A50435D5842310 link=1266141159/1#1 date=1266148310
                Other options?

1. High quality non-HX machine such as the Vibiemme Domobar Junior or Diadema Perfetta.Perfect if you are only going to make 2 coffees at time. Not so good if you do a lot of entertaining.
                The junior is a HX. Its the Piccolo youre probably thinking of.

charlie

Comment

Originally posted by 35343E2D33362C5F0 link=1266141159/6#6 date=1266191748
                  Just tried making myself another flat white on the newly-acquired Oscar. Shots are great but still struggling with trying to create microfoam.  It took me a good month or more on the Giotto, I thought after that it would be easy learning on any HX machine.  More practice I guess....
                  I dont normally quote myself but just wanted to follow up on my milk texturing issues with the Oscar. I replaced the 4-hole tip with a 2-hole tip from Coffee Parts (#614723-A). Just needed a tiny bit of PTFE tape to get a good seal. Good news is that I am now getting wonderful creamy, shiny microfoam again.

Comment

Apologies guys - I thought I had subscribed to the thread and I never got any emails to say people had responded !!

Well, still waiting on Di Bella coffee in Brisbane to get the Oscars in stock so did a bit more digging today. I saw the Bezzara recommendation and had a chat to the dealer in Brisbane. They have a second hand serviced BZ99 for around the same sort of money as the Oscar. Thoughts / suggestions ?

This is the Bezzera:
                    http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Cof...9-single-group

Now, these guys in Brisbane have the Oscar WITH a Nuova Simonelli grinder for $1405:
                    http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com....o-machine.html

I dont know much about that grinder but I will need to buy one which ever way I go.

Comment

Originally posted by 686D68746C313136010 link=1266141159/9#9 date=1270110806
                      Apologies guys - I thought I had subscribed to the thread and I never got any emails to say people had responded !!

Well, still waiting on Di Bella coffee in Brisbane to get the Oscars in stock so did a bit more digging today. I saw the Bezzara recommendation and had a chat to the dealer in Brisbane. They have a second hand serviced BZ99 for around the same sort of money as the Oscar. Thoughts / suggestions ?

This is the Bezzera:
                      http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Cof...9-single-group

Now, these guys in Brisbane have the Oscar WITH a Nuova Simonelli grinder for $1405:
                      http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com....o-machine.html

I dont know much about that grinder but I will need to buy one which ever way I go.
                      ROFLMAO..

That is Buy the Machine ~ $1400 , buy the Grinder  ~$400  = $1800 and get 3 kg of stale beans. (unless they are green)

The machine is fine..  The offer is on line - try to get support when ya need it, may be there may be not, may be a RTB and long wait times...

Go the sponsors over that offer.

Comment

Ha - I read the ad wrong. Anyway, I would rather buy from somewhere I can get some help, main reason why I wanted it from Di Bella in Brisbane but I have been waiting for them to organise a shipment since Feb. They just keep stringing out the delivery dates citing shipping delays from Italy. Funny how others seem to be able to get stock. Anyways, Im not really upset about it, just want to find somewhere to buy a machine for a reasonable price.

Comment

Welcome "ilium007"... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

For my money, I would be going with the Bezzera BZ-99... They are a terrific machine, well designed, great engineering and capable of producing excellent espresso so long as you do your part. Backed up by one of our Site Sponsors makes the purchase even that much better of course. The Oscar is a great machine at that price-point for sure, but compared to the BZ-99, I think the Bezz beats it by quite a decent margin... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Its just that at $2k the BZ99 brand new is out of my reach. Its either a new Oscar or a used BZ99. I probably should have said that earlier.

Comment

I make it $400.00 for the Grinta & $1281.36 or $1372.57 for the Oscar I suppose the cheaper price is for the black one. Buy both and you get the beans thrown in.
                              Theres been a few Oscar threads here, its worth doing a search. If I recall correctly they need to be set up properly by the dealer to get the most out of them, change of basket and pressurestat adjustment if I remember correctly. Pressurestat adjustment is probably easier said than done without a gauge. Brew pressure runs high on these machines the OPV is on the group head and bleeds off hot brew water it also serves to protect the HX but it is not intended to be adjustable, Oscar also lacks a vacuum breaker.
                              These machines are popular in Europe, where fitting a second OPV after the pump and a vacuum breaker are common mods.
                              Big disclaimer here this post is the result of armchair research NOT personal experience

Comment

Working...
                              X