Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910: Sudden loss of steam pressure

Hey,
    Ive been a regular stalker of these forums for a while, but havent posted until now.
    I recently purchased an EM6910 about 3 months ago, and up till now, everything has been going great.
    However, just today, I discovered that it seemed that the steam output had decreased, and while texturing milk, there was a constant screeching sound.
    As a result, the small bubbles failed to incorporate into the milk appropriately.
    At first glance, the steam output doesnt appear diminished, and I can only feel it once Ive started texturing the milk.

Situation:
    - Im using a 300ml jug
    - Steam dryness and temperature settings have been turned up to max.
    - I had been getting perfect microfoam until today.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Sunbeam EM6910: Sudden loss of steam pressure

Hi Jason and welcome to Coffeesnobs.
    Has that situation repeated itself since then?
    If so, then it could be a warranty issue.

Gary.

Comment

Hi Gary, thanks for the welcome.
      Ive subsequently tried texturing another 4 drinks, all with the same results.
      The sound resembles that of another OLD machine which I used to own, which arose when the steam pressure wasnt high enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E756D677B7A78717B63140 link=1289735864/0#0 date=1289735864
        However, just today, I discovered that it seemed that the steam output had decreased, and while texturing milk, there was a constant screeching sound.

As a result, the small bubbles failed to incorporate into the milk appropriately.

At first glance, the steam output doesnt appear diminished, and I can only feel it once Ive started texturing the milk.
        Your explanation and the points highlighted / underlined above... ALL say USER

However I know that steam can be a hardware issue -

Was any thing else changed ? Milk for eg

Comment

Hi AM,
          I can be sure that its not a user fault, because I have had no problem in the past 3 months with getting perfect microfoam.
          The milk used has also remained constant, which is why Im puzzled.

Comment

Before you fly out the door to sort it out, re check your settings for the advanced programs Jason.
            Steam thermoblock temp. Set on +10c on program button.
            Steam pump rate. Set on +0.2sec on power button (dryer)
            Just double check because pressing the wrong button can happen after youre trying to press the appropriate button, then power button then the button you want to select and get the information crossed up.
            Screeching sounds regardless of changes in technique and settings would mean lack of steaming pressure and yes, warranty issue.
            They will most likely try to fix the problem for you first before replacing the machine altogether if its 3 months old.
            Sooo....you might have to be deprived of you beamer for a few weeks. If so, there are some nice manual brewing methods available.
            Have a look at "manual brewing processes" and the different options to see you through during times of espresso famine. ;D

Gary

Comment

Thanks for your input Gary,
              Ive double checked all the settings, and it appeared that they were all correct.
              However I will try to do a factory reset and then reprogram it and see if it makes any difference.
              Id hate to lose my Sunbeam for a couple of weeks, but I guess if its a warranty issue, then it cant be helped.

Id also just purchased a bag of fresh beans, so Ill probably take you up on your suggestion about manual brewing methods so they dont go to waste.

Comment

Hi, have you checked that the end of the steam spout is not partly blocked? I find that, even though I wash it out after every use, it gradually clogs up with casein I expect. There is a probe supplied with the blind filter to clean it , or a 1.5mm drill works well.

Just another possibility.

Russell

Comment

Hi Russell, thanks for the response.
                  Yeah, I did check that it wasnt blocked, I soaked the tip and used the cleaning tool to make sure.

Hmm, it seems that after playing around with it for many hours, it has been restored.
                  I ran a full descale and chemical backflush through the machine, and purged the steam wand for a good couple of minutes.
                  The first jug of milk steamed after that was pretty poor, and I thought to give up.
                  However, trying another jug of milk gave ms better results, comparable to the original power.
                  I currently have no issues with it

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

And unfortunately, its back.
                    The banshee-like screeching sound has returned and is driving me up the wall.
                    As a result, the microfoam which I am getting is not being incorporated into the milk, rather just sitting on top, making it difficult to pour latte art.

Also, since the clean, when pulling my shot, it appears that the pressure gauge seems to swing backwards and forwards, with varying sounds being emitted from the pump too.

Would love to hear your thoughts,

Jayson

Comment

Originally posted by 606B73796564666F657D0A0 link=1289735864/9#9 date=1290776582
                      Also, since the clean, when pulling my shot, it appears that the pressure gauge seems to swing backwards and forwards, with varying sounds being emitted from the pump too.
                      Coffee fines and crap stuck in the lines...

1: Did you Descale and backflush AFTER removing and cleaning the outer and inner shower screens ?

AND

2: See the other posts as to loss of steam

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1290589420/

Comment

Thanks for the link AM,

Yeah, I thought that there must be crap stuck in the lines and I did descale and backflush after removing the outer and inner shower screens.

Ive been through nearly all (if not ALL) of the articles on the steam issue.
                        I am aiming to purchase Bombora Triple Action Cleaner and Descaler, and see how that goes.
                        However, the prices dont seem to be listed on the website.

Comment

Working...
                        X