Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam wand leakage on Lelit

Hi all,

Have been reading the forums a lot over the last few weeks and am about to make my first real coffee machine purchase, only I have a couple of reservations that I would like to run past those of whom are more experienced than myself.

I am considering the Lelit PL041 but have read/heard that the steam wand leaks when the machine is switched on and even more so when you pull a shot. Have seen the you tube video of it and its scared my other half off from purchasing it with this flaw. My question to those of you that have it or those of you that have similar machines (silvia etc). Is this a real/serious issue for the lelits or is it more wide spread in that it affects other machines too and I should be reasonable and expect this kind of thing from machines in this price range?

At the moment I am finding it a tough sell for the modest price increase over a consumer machine like the em6910. Im happy to pay for quality but Id like to think that Im getting it.

Please Im happy to listen to all feedback,

Pretzal

Re: Steam wank leakage on Lelit

I would be interested in feedback on this as well. I assume by wank in the title you actually mean wand!? Do you have the link to the youtube vid?

Comment

I have the Nemox Cafe Del Opera, which I believe is a rebaged lelit (with built in grinder).  The wand started to leak after 3 years or so, I filed the "collar" on the valve to make it screw in further (found the info on the net) and this fixed it for a a few months, but it slowly started leaking again.  I bought  a new vale to replace it (which came complete with wand and tip), but I am yet to install it.

Cheers

Comment

My recently purchased Lelit does not leak ...yet. I have heard Silvia leaks a bit too, so I suspect this is something that happens eventually with alot of machines, maybe.

Comment

I got my Lelit a few weeks ago, and it gets about one drop while pulling a shot each time. Its a non issue as far as I am concerned because the wand can be bent back over the spill tray, so any drips dont matter. When doing my research, I couldnt come up with a better option for the price range. More than happy with my purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by 253A38223B2E39382F570 link=1290293289/4#4 date=1290328174
            When doing my research, I couldnt come up with a better option for the price range. More than happy with my purchase.
            Agree with the above. Its a great machine for the price and I am happy with it. No doubt a more expensive machine would be even better but I am not in the market for !5K + machine (yet). When upgradeitis strikes, I am more likely to save up for a really fancy grinder first and then maybe upgrade the Lelit at a later stage .

Comment

Re: Steam wand leakage on Lelit

Mine sometimes drips a little as well after turning the machine on (about 5 weeks old now). Usually the dribbles stop if I tighten the tap firmer which I am generally reluctant to do. So, at this point I am very happy with the machine as I feel Im in control and not focus anymore on the occasional dribbles. If you buy one and it starts to drip badly you can always return it under warranty, but for me, the important aspects of a machine is its durability and serviceability, and believe the Lelit falls into that category perfectly.

Its an honest machine that works hard to give you the results you aspire to achieve, and it looks pretty neat as well and not over the top as some of the garish pieces at the higher end.

Comment

Originally posted by 70525E5E5C5E5453523D0 link=1290293289/6#6 date=1290336608
                Usually the dribbles stop if I tighten the tap firmer which I am generally reluctant to do.
                Me too. When my partner was first using the machine, she kept turning the dial the wrong way (hard off instead of on), and screaming out to me "THE DIAL WONT TURN". I just wanted to cry :S

Comment

I had Silvia for 10+ years and by the end didnt concentrate on refilling the boiler after pulling a shot. By then my coffee procedure must have been automatic and ingrained because I never had an issue with the element. Didnt remember or wasnt even aware of single boiler machine issues in regards to priming boilers or burned out elements until joining CS! If my steam wand had of leaked however I may have stuffed the element with my blasé approach so in my round about way I am trying to say: get your wands fixed guys!!! A drip can become an expensive trickle!

Comment

Oh dear! seems I need to proof read not only my posts but also my thread titles! What an unfortunate typo! Looks like one of the mods has taken care of it though thanks. The you tube link is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_5Drl-ctc

To my eye that looks pretty average.

Is this a typical flow rate for the lelit drip? Or is this machine beyond he normal point at which you would seek some maintenance?

Any more comments from owners of similar machines/multiple machine owners?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

Mine drips much less than that, maybe 5 to 10 or so drips during a pour, depending on how tight the valve it shut.

Cheers

Comment

Ill preface this by saying the Lelit is a very good machine, and more than capable of making a good coffee. It is however, not without its flaws, the most annoying of which (for me) is that it employs a needle valve assembly rather than what we see in most other machines, including the Silvia, which have a traditional tap/washer assembly.

Needle valves are said to provide a greater degree of control of the regulation of flow than a tap/washer affair. In the case of the Lelit, more than finger tight will wear the valve quickly, though over time it is likely to do so anyway.

Personally, I find it very annoying, and thats why were working with a few people to see if we can come up with a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by 2C3A3F3F2E2C2029292A2A4F0 link=1290293289/11#11 date=1290378522
                          Needle valves are said to provide a greater degree of control of the regulation of flow than a tap/washer affair.
                          I havent used one so correct me if Im wrong but isnt all on then all off enough control?
                          i.e. is there a need to use less than full pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by 4874697278796E7B73781C0 link=1290293289/12#12 date=1290380121
                            Originally posted by 2C3A3F3F2E2C2029292A2A4F0 link=1290293289/11#11 date=1290378522
                            Needle valves are said to provide a greater degree of control of the regulation of flow than a tap/washer affair.
                            I havent used one so correct me if Im wrong but isnt all on then all off enough control?
                            i.e. is there a need to use less than full pressure?
                            No. Though there are more than some machines that use a lever full on/off they are few compared to those that provide control, that are more popular. Horses for courses.

Comment

I dont dont why theyd be more popular.
                              Its an extra variable in my opinion.
                              If you only have the option of on or off then your technique has to cope with that.
                              If its 50% or 60% or 75% on from one time to the next how would you know? And it might make the difference between perfect milk and not.

Comment

Working...
                              X