Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start with Sunbeam EM6910 & EM0480 or Silvia & Breville BCG800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start with Sunbeam EM6910 & EM0480 or Silvia & Breville BCG800?

Hi All,

What a wealth of information on this forum.  Well done to the administrators and the users.

I want to try to make proper coffee at home and after many nights surfing the net,  I’ve reduced my start kit down to two choices:

- Sunbeam EM6910, EM0480, for $699 (RRP$998 so 30% discount ) plus you get a coffee school class, or
    - Silvia ($735) & Breville BCG800 ($269) for $904 (RRP $1004 so 10% discount)

Based on the RRP, they should be similar packages.  The first sounds like the better deal, but my gut tells me to go for the second option.

My only reservations with the second option are:
    - doesn’t seem as good a deal on a bang for buck basis
    - the warm-up wait for the Silvia (which could be overcome with a timed power supply)
    - don’t know if my cups will fit under the Silvia – could always get lower cups I guess.
    - steeper learning curve, but I guess that’s part of the fun journey, plus I think once I’ve got some experience the results of this combination has the potential to produce better results
    - the BCG800 is relatively new with no proven track record, though excellent preliminary review – Figure that the main risk here is longevity so if it dies prematurely, I’d probably want to upgrade anyway. – Assume it will grind sufficient for the Silvia – has anyone proven this combination?

There are already some excellent reports comparing the two coffee machines, so it’s more your opinion for the machine/grinder combination and its suitability for a beginner and value for money that I’m asking for.

Sounds like once you have the bug you’ll want to keep upgrading anyway.  With that in mind, my gut feel tells me to go for the Silvia having the better resale value – though I may not  want to upgrade if it doesn’t break and produces great lattes.

Thanks,

Dave.

Re: Start with Sunbeam EM6910 & EM0480 or Silvia & Breville BCG800?

Welcome Konerator to CS. Totally different beasts, it comes down to the best fit for you. Have you read Greg Pulmans comparison?

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/

This may give you answers. It doesnt include the BCG800 of course.

Enjoy the journey, Steve

PS. The silvia has a reputation for longetivity whilst the SB has a history that is less than ideal, if I was often making multiple milk based drinks and if my budget was restricted to the two packages I would be taking a punt on the SB package.

Comment

Hi Dave, welcome to CoffeeSnobs

I suggest you let us know where you live, and check out a local sponsor. The other option you might want to consider is a Lelit - a Silvia competitor which several sponsors sell.

Ive never owned a Silvia or Lelit, but from reading around the Lelit seems to have the edge in price and apparently heats up that little bit faster.

The Lelit Combi has a built in grinder, but theres also one without the grinder. There seem to be a number of pre-Xmas deals coming in so you could e-mail the sitesponsors with the e-mail address on the left <----------------

cheers

James
      SniffCoffee

Comment

Originally posted by 7A647C7167647F7E100 link=1291207883/2#2 date=1291241918
        I suggest you let us know where you live, and check out a local sponsor.  
        Thanks James,
        I live in Perth, seems like most of the sponsors are base in the east..

Comment

Hi Dave, whilst I am still a newbie to this whole coffee caper, I have been ( some say obsessively) studying the coffee forums since joining . The impression I get is that the Sunbeam package will end up causing you grief and will lead to premature upgraditis, due to the issues with reliability. You can get a good coffee out of it, but it wont be long before it starts to play up. That seems to be the theme I have picked up. The silvia seems to have longevity on its side and the difference in price reflects the difference in build quality. I was on a budget and opted for a Lelit combi which I am very happy with . It is excellent value for money. You can also buy it as a seperate machine and buy the best grinder you can afford to pair with it, which is also a good option. The site sponsors can assist with either option. Good luck whatever you decide. Remember freshly roasted beans , practice, and get to know your machine and you will be be making good coffee before you know it.

Comment

I havent used a Silvia but am aware of their reputation for longevity and holding their value.

I have used a 6910 extensively.

If you want more than a couple of milk based drinks at a time then the Sunbeam has to be your choice.

There do seem to be some reliability issues and servicing can take weeks and is limited to a select few service agents.
            The reliability seems to me to come down to luck if youve maintained it well.

A circuit board might die for example or the steam pump not last 12 months (they have a 5 yr warranty).

Theres a known issue with the collar wearing but not overdosing seems to be the solution to this.

The last one I used was in a workplace kitchen.
            It obviously lived a hard life because I couldnt stand there and guard it 24/7.

Given the amount of coffee it made I estimated that in a home space it should last 5 years all things going well.

A Silvia should last well beyond this.

I almost bought a Silvia as part of my first package but decide to avoid upgrading sooner than later and bought a HX instead.
            I always recommend buying better as youll save money in the long run.

Some Sunbeam parts can be expensive.
            A group gasket e.g. is $25 and you have to find a Sunbeam agent with one in stock, a gasket for my Expobar is $10 and I can buy them almost anywhere.

I lean away from the Sunbeam these days (I used to recommend them) but so long as youre aware you have to look after it Im not going to say dont buy one.

By the way, the Sunbeam grinder is noisy and messy; keep that in mind. They work though.

@everyone - All machines need time to warm up properly, even the Sunbeam.
            What Sunbeam say is warmed up and reality are two different things.
            Maybe they were using Einsteins theory of relativity when measuring but you just CANT turn it on from cold and make a good coffee when the ready light says so. :P

In my experience it still needs a minimum 30 minutes and preferably 1 hour for everything to stabilise.

Comment

Thanks Thundergod,

Good to get some feedback on your 6910 experience.  No need for me to steam great quantaties of milk, 95% of the time I would be making only 1 latte or 1 latte + 1 mocha.

Originally posted by 417D607B717067727A71150 link=1291207883/5#5 date=1291247089
              In my experience it still needs a minimum 30 minutes and preferably 1 hour for everything to stabilise.
              Wow - I didnt realise the EM6910 takes that long to warm up properly.  There goes one of the advantages.

Also the mess of the EM0480 is a good point.  (Most pictures in forums show a great mess of coffee grinds around them) This would make it harder to get stakeholder endorsement from the wife. The BCG800 looks a bit neater.

Cheers,

Dave.

Comment

I had a similar decision to make this week and decided to buy the best grinder I could afford, the BCG800, and then buy a silvia when my budget allows

Comment

Originally posted by 5F7B7A716675607B66140 link=1291207883/6#6 date=1291248892
                  No need for me to steam great quantaties of milk, 95% of the time I would be making only 1 latte or 1 latte + 1 mocha.
                  If you dont mind spending the extra $, you would be better off with the Silvia IMO.

I had the same decision and went with the Silvia because 90% the time I only make one latte for myself. And even making 2 on a Silvia or 6910 there would not be much time difference as the Silvia has better steam quality.

Espresso quality, build quality, reliability, resale. . . . not a huge differnce in the two machines but it all seems to lean in the Silvias favour

The Lelit would be a consideration given the price and similarites with the Silvia.

Comment

Working...
                  X