Beginner wanting to upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner wanting to upgrade

Forgive me for such a basic question. Ive been reading around the site for two hours and am a little confused. About six months ago, reading here, I was persuaded that I needed a decent grinder (by beginner standards) and got a Rocky. The coffee improvement was stratospheric. Now my ancient baby Gaggia is on its last legs: doubtless corroded, leaking water. I just spent $130 getting it serviced; should have put it towards a new machine.
    Budget c$800+, it seems from browsing the Silvia is best. I never do anything with milk, just espressos. Is it hard for an idiot to use? Any contrary advice?

Second, and related, question: should I do one of the one-day courses on offer around Melbourne. My hesitation is that I never use milk, and a lot of time seems dedicated to that. Thanks in advance.

Re: Beginner wanting to upgrade

Very sorry. I seem to have put this in entirely the wrong section. No doubt one of the moderators can rescue me.

Comment

You can get a Silvia for $719 from Jetblack espresso at the moment, which is great value and I doubt would disappoint.

Im sure someone else will have some better advice though regarding something that will just do straight espresso and whether you even need to spend that much just to get something to do black coffee.

Comment

Hello nw and welcome,

I can think of three deadly shot machines which will do the job brilliantly and are better than the Silvia in my opinion:

1. VBM Domobar Piccolo
        2. Diadema Perfetta
        3. GEE Espresso

The first 2 exceed your budget but are brilliant in that temperature is controlled by a rheostat and can be dialled in very accurately with a Scace device during the bench test. One day, Ill have a crack at adding a PID to one to allow for temp. controll off the front panel. This would deliver close to the ultimate e-61 shot machine 8-)

The GEE has a larger boiler than the Silvia with the bonuses of on-board control over temperature and preinfusion plus inbuilt timer control for shot length if desired. We have a <30 shot demo which is within budget for you and as youre in Melbourne, youre welcome to come and have a play

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 76696B71687D6A6B7C040 link=1293099510/2#2 date=1293136371
          .......You can get a Silvia for $719 from Jetblack espresso at the moment..........
          Yup yup yup yup yup yup....the discounting has started again, courtesy of some no brainers (no not jetblack) in the business wanting to move a few boxes, and causing the rest of us to follow suit. So really, any of us will and are forced, to sell a Silvia for $719 as long as the client only wants the box & doesnt want to talk about it.....time is money, and a lesson will cost.

One the other hand  buy a Silvia from a profesisonal trader with RRP and you will usually get the full service including the lesson which takes ....time.....!

What will these no brains experts do if we go tit for tat & lower the price for them by going to say $699.00, and then if they follow suit then perhaps $649.00 and lower and lower???????? We are not concerned because most of our sales are to "walk in" clients that want service and who will pay the price and get their lesson and anything else that is being thrown in. This means less sales, but more profit. It doesnt take a genius to work that out.

And of course if you buy a "box" the most common problem arising soon after is when the client shorts out the electric element because they dont understand the principles of use of such a machine. This is not warrantable because it is caused by the operator, and the client can then send the machine back to "mailorderland" and pay the price. Of course they may also suffer the price of having their machine damaged in transit by the courier which is another non warrantable problem and happens often enough.....we are very happy to sell Silvia and Rocky in the main, to walk in clients only.

But, except for Chris above I dont know that any one else talked about the way you want to ***progress***. Do you really want to go from a baby gaggia to a Silvia? Do you want to step kind of sideways...or would you rather go ahead? And by how much?

Mind you, even the step sideways to the Silvia will be an improvement of sorts, atleast you wont be drinking aluminium oxide in your coffees ;D

In my opinion Chriss first two recommendations are spot on but of course I would put them in a different order   and as you seem to be in Melbourne you should pay him a visit.

Regardz,
          Attilio
          very first CS site sponsor  

Comment

And that my friends is why if/when you call for service or support on a Silvia, you will be referred back to your importer as we cant buy them at that price....

So what do we have here :-?

Either a Silvia should be $719 and the RRP of circa $950 is a farce or the importers are taking their margin, and the retail margin and then undercutting the businesses that supported them and promoted their product by wholesaling at over "retail street price"...Either way, this reeks!

Back to the topic, as Attilio has suggested, Gaggia to Silvia is more of the same, not an upgrade...

More thinking I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by 35000D0A3E220E07070404610 link=1293099510/3#3 date=1293138419
              The GEE has a larger boiler than the Silvia with the bonuses of on-board control over temperature and preinfusion plus inbuilt timer control for shot length if desired. We have a <30 shot demo which is within budget for you and as youre in Melbourne, youre welcome to come and have a play
              DO IT!

As an owner of an ex-demo from Talk Coffee (VBM Domobar Jr) its a great way of getting what is effectively a new machine at a great price from someone who really knows there stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by 31303A293732285B0 link=1293099510/6#6 date=1293159563
                DO IT!

As an owner of an ex-demo from Talk Coffee (VBM Domobar Jr) its a great way of getting what is effectively a new machine at a great price from someone who really knows there stuff!
                +1
                Same here. My Expobar Minore II was ex-demo from Talk Coffee and I have been very happy with it for the last 4 years.

Brett.

Comment

Hi

I am contemplating the exact same purchase at the moment - a Silvia for ~$750. Is the GEE much better?

Ive got a cheapo Breville at the moment which is rubbish.

I have mine with milk and I want something that can have 2 flat whites perfect and ready to go in about 10 mins in the morning...

Brock

Comment

Nothings ready to go in 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by 6661677C7B726C2520150 link=1293099510/8#8 date=1293329655
                      I have mine with milk and I want something that can have 2 flat whites perfect and ready to go in about 10 mins in the morning...
                      So long as you have a decent enough Grinder, from whoa to go using an AeroPress will have a great cuppa ready in 5 minutes or less. If you prefer coffee with milk, then add another couple of minutes to heat up the milk by what ever is your preferred method. Makes a beautiful Flat White.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Any machine/grinder combo will make coffee in less than 10 minutes.

Some require 30 minutes or more warm-up time before that 10 minutes. The only espresso machine I know that doesnt need a long warm-up is the manual Presso--you warm it with hot water!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 62574042724A5748444941250 link=1293099510/11#11 date=1293415715
                          The only espresso machine I know that doesnt need a long warm-up is the manual Presso--you warm it with hot water!

Greg
                          I like it for this reason! Im still dialing it in though.
                          (What about the twist or the portaspresso?)

Comment

I dont have to stand in front of it while it heats up so I dont count that in the preparation time.... Anyway 10 mins isnt really a strict requirement, a decent coffee is more important. I cannot do this with my existing machine despite lots of tinkering with the grind / tamp / extraction methods so I would like to get a good machine.

Ive got an ok grinder and Im pretty interested in the Silvia, but if the Gee is superior then I would maybe look at one of those.

Do most shops that sponsor CS let you test drive them?

I havent looked much farther than myers and the web so far

Comment

I think you should stay clear of the Gee not as robust as you think after this review.
                              Go with the silvia with pid and a very good grinder.

http://theotherblackstuff.ie/machines/gee-in-review/

Comment

Working...
                              X