Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Sunbeam EM6910 - in Perth

Hi All,

Ive been lurking for 2 years and this is my first post! Thanks for all the tips by the way guys!

My EM6910 has developed a number of problems (gauge doesnt work but hasnt for over 18 months and leaks underneath somewhere, which it has done for a while) but now is unable to extract a shot at all. I have zero confidence in my ability to take it apart and tinker with it so I wanted to take it to someone in Perth.

Osborne Park VCM Vending Coffee Machine are listed on the Sunbeam website, is that the best place to go or should I go somewhere else? I am a little torn as I would love to upgrade (I was thinking VBM Junior) but the finances wouldnt permit at present, so I have to hope it is fixable for not too much.

Anyway any advice for places to take it would be appreciated.

On a positive not I have been browsing the home roasting pages while searching for threads on servicing the sunbeam and that looks like fun, could give that a whirl if the machine gets going again!

Cheers

Anthony

Re: Service Sunbeam EM6910 - in Perth

Sounds like it has had little true cleaning or maintenance..

If ya been lurking for a while; you will know that there are issues with water in Perth and MAINTENANCE if a MUST...

Gauge not working...

Scale and or coffee crud stuck in teh line.. MAINTENANCE !!! If it has been fro 18 months the who knows where else the crud has gotten into !!!!

When did you last do a descale or a Backflush ?

When did you last change teh seal ?

When did you last clean teh shower screens ?

A Quick service may buy a little time BUT unless you perform REGULAR maintenance, then NO machine will last for long.

Comment

Thanks AM,

Yes am aware of the problems with Perth Water it has always had filtered water but not RO water I must confess. I have descaled a couple of times, over the last 12 months, should have done it more regularly but cest la vie lessons learnt!

I have backflushed more often but again not as much as I should.

Needless to say with the latest issue I backflushed and descaled and cleaned the screens.

It doesnt get heavily used by any stretch of the imagination certainly not by the standards of most CSs. 5-10 shots a week.

If anyone can assist with a preferred service location in Perth that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony

Comment

Try 5 senses coffee Rockingham. They can do Sunbeam servicing. The problems you described could cost you $150 upwards.
        They do have a good reputation in Perth for some of the best roasted coffee beans and they have a barista champion this year.
        Their technician is experienced in servicing Sunbeam, Isomacs and Synesso as well as installation of Synesso machines.
        Spare parts are readily available there.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary,

I did see them on the Sunbeam list also and I do like their beans (although I usually used Fiori) only reason I looked elsewhere is I live NOR and Rockingham is a bit of a hike.

Still I would rather a bit of a drive and get it done properly.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by 4C565B5A485E464C4C3F0 link=1293447079/3#3 date=1293456366
            Try 5 senses coffee Rockingham. They can do Sunbeam servicing. The problems you described could cost you $150 upwards.
            They do have a good reputation in Perth for some of the best roasted coffee beans and they have a barista champion this year.
            Their technician is experienced in servicing Sunbeam, Isomacs and Synesso as well as installation of Synesso machines.
            Spare parts are readily available there.

Gary
            Handy to Know... Remember this for all teh other WA service assist needs....

NewBeanBoy - Others here have had the blockage and with some heavy gauge nylon or other hard but flexible poking stuff ;D This can be cleared if caught early !!!

In teh head there is a hole towards teh back and that is the Pressure release / vent / Gauge access. Look for some other posts as to no gauge movement etc and pics are included.

Also in teh head is a Brass screw and inside is a small spring and valve which allows water to go to the head or teh Hot Water...

*** Check if you have hot water. If so then this spring / valve may be gummed up !!!

Comment

See if you can get a strong guitar string available from a music shop or steal from a friends. Might take some patience on your part to perservere.
              Re: spring and valve. Undo screw, remove shower screen and the spring n valve should come out with it. Inspect for crud n that the spring is springy.Inspect and clean orifice as well as a thorough clean the metal around it. Hot water should be flowing freely out through orifice. Then carefully re-install spring/valve, then screen n screw.

Fixing one or two problems on your machine may save you time n money when you do get to you tech to do a thorough service.

Allow about 2 weeks for turn around. Good luck.

BTW. Only 20 minute drive to Rockingham once youre at city.

Gary

Comment

Thanks AM and Gary,

I tried some whipper snipper line (all I had) it might be a tad too big it doesnt get far either that or its a major blockage or Im doing it wrong.

The spring valve is clean as, looks like its new no evidence of anything on it at all, coffee or scale.

I have a guitar upstairs I theive a string from that and give it a whirl!

One of those South of the river/ North of the river things I perceive Rockingham to be miles away, I think it is because it felt like that when I was a kid.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony

Comment

As per Garry... Try trh old Guitar string...

I have some some where, but start out will a thin cable tie, ( if clean in the head)  it will go all the way up to the clip lock.  Then I know its further along... But most I find are in the head and the very first bend  

Thus, A fine but flexible wire and patience can see it being cleaned...

Did ya find the other posts and pictures ?

1: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1286780665/1#1

2: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1276394810

Like I say... Most of the problems are the same. The issue is Key words and being able to use teh search feature.

Comment

Thanks AM,

I found several threads but not the two in your post above.

I have managed with some fine wire to get it in a few inches, at first it wouldnt got that far.

How far should it be able to go?

Comment

Originally posted by 262D3F2A2D29262A2731480 link=1293447079/9#9 date=1293864828
                      Thanks AM,

I found several threads but not the two in your post above.

I have managed with some fine wire to get it in a few inches, at first it wouldnt got that far.

How far should it be able to go?
                      Well as stated.... The 2.5mm cable tie goes all the way...say 5"

TURN THE SYSTEM OFF... FIRST !!!!

Remember get it in teh right hole too.

About 15mm in it bends at 90% and then at about another 50mm to 75mm bends again.

If ya wire is long enough.. You should be able to get it in at lest 10"

(Like teh mix of metric and old school)

Then give it a bit of a ream / jiggle and then refit the screens and seal etc. Ya seal is in good condition ???

Then lock in a DOUBLE FLOOR basket and hit the manual button. Let it run for a moment or two (15 to 30 sec) and see if the gauge starts to respond...

PS. Your leak could have been due to the blockage and pressure having to go somewhere, so be careful.

Comment

Thanks AM,

I think I have offically given up, much to my wifes relief.

I mix metric and imperial too, although my pet hate is people talking in cms, which is probably unreasonable.

My machine is probably suffering from my neglect.

My seal is in fair condition, if it is salvagable at service the seal probably should get replaced.

Still leaking a little using the double floor basket (had to search the back of the cupboard for that) and the gauge is not moving.

I did take the thing apart a bit just for a look and I couldnt see the obvious location where the pressure was being relieved and the leak was coming from. I wasnt game to plug it in and run it while I had the covers off.

Well see how it goes at service, if it is badly clogged up is that potentially a terminal illness?

Thanks guys for your help much appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by 6962706562666965687E070 link=1293447079/0#0 date=1293447079
                          Anyway any advice for places to take it would be appreciated.
                          I took mine to Goddens Electrical for warranty work.
                          332b Cambridge St, Wembley
                          Ph: 9387 4444

They are a Sunbeam service centre and got it fixed for me fairly promptly.

Comment

Everyone please be aware that only a handful of Sunbeam agents have been trained to fix the 6910.

Sunbeam can tell you which ones.

Comment

Goddens and five senses would be the ones to choose if options have exhausted newbeanboy. Ring both of them.
                              Looks like you might be up for a big repair bill.
                              Since youve had the machine for some time now, you should look at the option of upgrading too if costs of repair quotes are not worth the trouble.
                              Pity the free grinder with the EM6910 sale ended 31st Dec 2010.
                              Perhaps a Lelit should be considered?

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X