Thoughts on the correct dose for my EM6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the correct dose for my EM6910

Hi all <lurk mode off> I have recently paired my EM6910 with a Mini Mazzer grinder and am loving the results!

Santa Clause bought me some electronic scales and they have even futher improved things. I am finding that if I stick to 22g of beans with the double basket and a good firm tamp, with a little adjustment in grind depending on the coffee I can get really good consistant pours. I was finding that with less coffee, I couldnt get a good dry puck.

Anyone else playing with the EM6910 dose/tamp this xmas? Id be really interested to hear your thoughts...

Re: Thoughts on the correct dose for my EM6910

Hi JayBee,

Im playing this game too. Got a new tamper for Xmas and have recently got machine back from warranty repair, so its time to tweek everything in again!

My current method is 21g of beans into grinder, grind direct in to basket (just over-fills it, havent measured actual mass in basket), two taps on bench to settle, level off and firm tamp. Firm? Havent measured this either, but think it is about the "leaning on bench" level. Usually I get good looking pucks and good pours. If I check the level before the pour, there is an impression of the screw in the dry puck. Am trying to reduce dose to remove this and take advantage of the "polished puck" I can now get with the new tamper - no luck yet. Theory I have read is to aim for the dry puck to be just below the screen (ref 5 cent test). Will keep you posted... BTW, lots of info on this topic - use the search tab.

Comment

Originally posted by 102534257379400 link=1293457924/1#1 date=1293514743
      If I check the level before the pour, there is an impression of the screw in the dry puck.
      Then your some where between UpDosing and OVERDOSING..

Overdosing will stuff your collar over time..

Do not get hung up on the polished look... It is about BEANS / GRIND / DOSE and TAMP...

Comment

Im still using the std tamper Pete, I have been meaning to upgrade for a long while, but have never got around to it. Can you see a difference? I have searched around the forum loads, but its always nice to revisit old topics occasionally to solicit new opinions

AM - I replaced my collar at the last service due to a whole heap of bad practices on my part brought on by my EM0480 wearing out - I kept on foolishly trying to keep the same number dialled in and increasing the pressure. Oops - a stupid noobie mistake to make, especially seeing I have been roasting and brewing on and off for the last 15 years!

Im just beginning to up my game to the next level

Comment

Can someone explain to me how the 5 cent test works with sunbeam "3 mm" rule? Im assuming they are at odd with each other.

Doesnt the 3 mm rule mean that the final few mms of compression is done by shower screen?

Comment

No noticeable difference in pour or taste so far JayBee. Have always had my doubts about the whole polish thing, but suppose I cant expect a difference if the top of the dry puck is being disturbed by the screw/screen. Do enjoy the feel of the new tamper - nice weight and nice to be able to give it a twist at the end. Never did this with the SB tamper (as demoed in the SB DVD) as it just roughed up the top.

While on the topic of the SB DVD, does anyone else think the dosing method used is very unlikely to produce repeatable results?  

Im also thinking about trying a different basket as Ive read that some people have found tastier shots using baskets that hold closer to the standard 14 g for a double. Since baskets are pretty cheap, seems a pretty harmless thing to try.

I agree, it is nice to revisit old topics, glad youre doing it.  

AM - Thanks for your feedback. Just to clarify, being between up-dosing and overdosing is a good place to be, but ideally would aim to reduce the dose slightly to avoid collar issues?

Comment

Originally posted by 40584A51505755584D505F390 link=1293457924/4#4 date=1293549481
              Can someone explain to me how the 5 cent test works with sunbeam "3 mm" rule? Im assuming they are at odd with each other.

Doesnt the 3 mm rule mean that the final few mms of compression is done by shower screen?
              YES... The "3mm rule" ??? is not a good place to start. As unless things change, it means you usually OVERDOSING...

The Sb tamp has a polished SS surface but the polish is in one direction.

As posted many eions ago... Use some wet and dry (1200) and use a fig 8 movement and polish. I can come up like a mirror. But a Pulman will be better

A bigger basket was great and I found that I could get away from Up-dosing with good beans and a good grinder.

Comment

A bit of experimenting today has made me wind back to 21g of coffee and that seems to get a better result. I hadnt stumbled across the 5c rule before, but a few hours on and Im the grand master!

Comment

Thanks for the reply AM, Ive heard many on this site and Sunbeam themselves say that after dosing and tamping the coffee level should be 3 mm below the rim of the basket.
                  Am I mistaken? Also, if you overdose like this then I guess a perfect tamp is not that important.

Comment

Originally posted by 554D5F444542404D58454A2C0 link=1293457924/8#8 date=1293630859
                    Thanks for the reply AM, Ive heard many on this site and Sunbeam themselves say that after dosing and tamping the coffee level should be 3 mm below the rim of the basket.
                    Am I mistaken? Also, if you overdose like this then I guess a perfect tamp is not that important.

I am just a Nube and can only speak from first hand experience  ;D

On all the SB units I have used...  3mm will see the shower screen and screw come into contact with the dry puck!!!

Thus once you twist the group into position: You will rip any polished surface and allso apply more of a tamp as the screen is now compressing the coffee.   Then in addition the puck has issues trying to expand due to no where to go  ;D

Outcomes:  Collar get a beating...  User changes Grind and bean in an attempt to counter act the effects over tamping...

The Coffee should be just missing or only just touching the shower  screen after being fully locked in.   5cent piece test.  Also look for other posts on this subject. KK posted a great pic that might help some to visualise.

PS.  The cup tray is still out in the cubby...

Comment

Originally posted by 78575E5C4B745857585E5C545C574D390 link=1293457924/9#9 date=1293665105
                      The Coffee should be just missing or only just touching the showerscreen after being fully locked in. 5cent piece test.Also look for other posts on this subject. KK posted a great pic that might help some to visualise.
                      Drawing attached

KK

Comment

That is a great diagram, thanks.

It is good to have at least one constant in the equation!

Comment

Thanks AM & KK,
                          Moral of the story: dont blindly listen to manufacturer! I usually give them the benefit of doubt. Perhaps these instructions give overall better results for the wider community of 6910 users (i.e. not so serious ones)?
                          Better get that 5 cent piece out again.

Comment

I just got a 6910 (present from the santa in the bed), I have a 6900, and noticed the 6900 making MUCH better coffee (and lot quieter). Upon closer inspection I also noticed I had a rancilio filter in the holder, not as big as the sunbean double, but larger than the single, and less holes then the sunbeam. So its time to play.
                            I also noticed the pressure gauge hard to get in the zone (not sure how reliable they are). Will try finer grind. I did find the screen they supplied with the single hole works a treat, but its in effect a crema enhancer (cheating). When it all came together my 9600 worked a treat, now to get there with the 9610. the 9610, froths milk all day, as good as my Rancilio Epoca with a 4 litre boiler, so not as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by 25223333223526332F282A22470 link=1293457924/13#13 date=1293845143
                              When it all came together my 9600 worked a treat, now to get there with the 9610.
                              Sounds like there will be a lot of brewing going on over the next few days/weeks to find those perfect settings. It should be helpful having a reference machine to measure against.

Comment

Working...
                              X