Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 leaking water

Hi,

Hoping for some help here. We bought a 2nd hand EM6910 which had a leaking problem which was meant to be the collar. We took it to an authorized repairer in Melbourne and paid $150 for it to be fixed. He said he changed the seal and a few other things but said the collar seemed fine. Anyways come home and put the group handle in and it is leaking water when you run the water through for the espresso just the same. Any idea what it could be? Could it be the group handle? We forgot to give that to him when we gave him the rest of the machine. Anyways will take it back to him but was wondering if we are missing anything obvious in the meantime?

Thankyou

Re: EM6910 leaking water

Originally posted by 656463707F757E110 link=1294215976/0#0 date=1294215976
    Hi,

Hoping for some help here. We bought a 2nd hand EM6910 which had a leaking problem which was meant to be the collar. We took it to an authorized repairer in Melbourne and paid $150 for it to be fixed. He said he changed the seal and a few other things but said the collar seemed fine. Anyways come home and put the group handle in and it is leaking water when you run the water through for the espresso just the same. Any idea what it could be? Could it be the group handle? We forgot to give that to him when we gave him the rest of the machine. Anyways will take it back to him but was wondering if we are missing anything obvious in the meantime?

Thankyou
    Could be your not locking it in OR the collar OR a a split pipe at the rear of the head.

You need to spend time with another experienced EM6910 user...

Not all dealers know enough and not all are fully authorised to work / service EM6910. And most do not know how to use or make coffee..

Comment

Hi, Im a bit confused on the locking in. I tried it with no coffee in the basket and it was still leaking. I did take it to an authorized sunbeam repairer for the EM6910 specifically. We had asked for the collar and he told us when picking up that the collar seemed fine and only changed the seal.

I am a new EM6910 user so maybe Im doing something wrong. My group handle seems to be locking in alot further across than I think it is meant to be. Is there anywhere i can see where it should approximately lock in?

For the split pipe at the head - am I able to check that myself?

Comment

Hi,

Just thought Id update if anyone in the future has a similar problem - turns out it is actually the group handle. We took the machine in and he tried it with their test one where it went in properly but our one keeps going across. Now need to look for a replacement as they had none in stock.

Comment

Well it turns out it isnt the group handle! I put in my group handle into another EM6910 and it works fine. Put the other EM6910s handle (which obviiously works fine on its own machine) and leaks on my one. So it s something to do with the machine Im assuming since both handles work fine on the other machne.

The only difference I did find was that the group handle from the other machine locked in much earlier @ around 6oclock unlike my one which went past 5oclock towards 4oclock.

I am going to take it back to the Sunbeam repairer on Monday but just in case it is something I am doing or can fix Id rather not throw more money after if it is a lost cause. So any help would be appreciated.

Here is a video of the leak if it helps in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLZISwwxbw

BTW I am testing with just plain water - does that make any difference? When I first did it i had coffee in there and it was messy. Plus the other EM6910 doesnt leak with water only so I thought it was OK to test it this way without coffee.

Comment

Turando,
            May or may not be relevant, but have you taken out the blue seal recently? On my last clean I failed to put the blue seal in correctly and was greeted with leaking similar to yours. It only take a few grains of coffee or the seal not being in perfectly straight and you can get some pretty frustrating leaks. I actually took three goes to get the seal in correctly and leak-free.

Comment

Hi, The sunbeam repairer we took it to said he replaced the seal so I assumed he put it in back correctly. I will try to find a screwdriver and check it though. Thankyou

Comment

Thought to update again - took it to the repairer as they were open today and he said it was the collar so is replacing that. Even though the two group handles leaked that we had when his one was on it it didnt leak. He said it was a bit worn.

Comment

Hi turando,
                  I am having exactly the same problem as you. Yesterday I replaced the seal but it is leaking just as much, if not more.
                  Previous to changing the seal I found that I had to lock in the group handle much tighter than I originally did when I first got the machine.
                  I called the authorised sunbeam repairer in South Melbourne and the repairer there told me to just get a new machine!! Im sure that isnt necessary as the rest of the machine is functioning fine! I am wondering if my problem is also the collar.
                  Does anyone know if the collar can be ordered and replaced ourselves or does it have to be done by a repairer? Id prefer to do it myself if possible as the $$s keep mounting.
                  Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Comment

Yes you can buy a new collar, look to the sponsors, i would try euro coffee, and i believe the instructions for a replacement are on here somewhere, just do a search. good luck

Comment

Turando,

If youre definitely needing a new collar, I had mine changed by really decent service agent in Melbourne late last year. Charged a reasonable fee given the cost of the part and the labour.

I wouldnt recommend doing the collar yourself unless you are 120% comfortable with all the work involved. I was <this> close to having a go myself and was happy in the end paying these guys.

PM me if you want more details. If youre close to me Im happy to come have a look at it if that helps.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for all your help. It was the collar as we have the machine back and it is locking in at normal range now and no leaks I thought about doing the collar myself too but realised with all the possible things I could do wrong it wasnt worth it to save $100.

Paulala: Are you in Melbourne? I went to the authorized sunbeam repairer in Heidelberg and they were decent. i thought their price was decent too (about $140 or 150 or less cant remember) as another service agent quoted around $250 to change the collar - I think the one you spoke to lol! I would take it to them and get them to have a look.

Comment

Turando, yes Im in Melbourne. Not far from the Heidelberg repairer actually. It was recommended to me to buy parts from them and to get the services done in South Melbourne. But, it was the SM repairer that said it would be $300-$400 and best to get a new machine!
                          So, with your recommendation of the Heidelberg repairer, Im tempted to use them. Can I ask how much they charged just to replace the collar? I just bought a new seal from them not long ago so hopefully they can re-use that one.

Dean, which agent did you use? Was is the authorised Sunbeam repairer in South Melb?

It is great to hear feedback about these agents as it really helps to make a decision!!.

thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by 4372667F727F722422130 link=1294215976/12#12 date=1297636792
                            Heidelberg repairer
                            Originally posted by 4372667F727F722422130 link=1294215976/12#12 date=1297636792
                            authorised Sunbeam repairer
                            Just a reminder that Sunbeam have two kinds of agents.

1) Those trained and authorised to fix EM6910s
                            2) Those authorised to fix everything else.

If your machine is still inside warranty make sure you use the correct agent.

Comment

Originally posted by 5061756C616C613731000 link=1294215976/12#12 date=1297636792

Dean, which agent did you use? Was is the authorised Sunbeam repairer in South Melb?

Paulala,

No, not the South Melb one - the guys in Dandenong on Thomas Street. The last time I rang Sunbeam about parts one of the guys recommended them for the collar job over a few others. Took 2 weeks, which was exactly as quoted, and the job was about $150.

It was convenient for my work, so worth taking to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X