Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, Just acquired an almost working EM6910

Hi everyone,

This is my first post prompted by the receipt of a "broken" em6910 from a friend (hes bought a Nespresso).

The main problem is that it never becomes ready.  The green power light flashes continuously.  Ive found that the group thermoblock is not heating up, the steam heater is working fine and gets very hot very quickly 
    Ive checked the heater resistance and it is measuring 53 ohms.  The thermal fuse and thermostat are OK.  The thermistor measures 108Kohms.  From other posts these values seem to be OK?

Ive noticed that the heaters are switched with relays on a daughter board.  The schematic I have shows triacs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some general information about the unit - It wasnt very well looked after.  
    The collar is damaged and needs replacing.  Both shower screens and the seal are caked with old coffee.  The water tank had brown gunk floaties in it and the filter itself was a light brown colour (this has been filed!). The float was stuck in the empty position, but it doesnt have enough magnetism to actuate the reed, so it will need replacing.  It looks like a potentially expensive repair bill just on parts alone.

I would like to say that I wouldnt have got as far as I have with the diagnosis this machine if it hadnt been for the quality posts about the EM6910.
    Posts by AngerManagement, Matrix, Wan and others have been a valuable resource.

Cheers,

Gant

Re: Hi all, Just acquired an almost working EM6910

Originally posted by 66444E53464440210 link=1302631487/0#0 date=1302631487
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    While it is sooo tempting to start a chain of suggestions with what to do with a 6910 in that condition, (small boat anchor immediately comes to mind) have you seen the reference to a parts mob called Bigwarehouse in the posts you found?

Comment

Originally posted by 1C3E34293C3E3A5B0 link=1302631487/0#0 date=1302631487
      This is my first post prompted by the receipt of a "broken" em6910 from a friend (hes bought a Nespresso).
      You got the better of the two machines.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Comment

Originally posted by 3B393E3E3D3734580 link=1302631487/1#1 date=1302646502
        While it is sooo tempting to start a chain of suggestions with what to do with a 6910 in that condition, (small boat anchor immediately comes to mind) have you seen the reference to a parts mob called Bigwarehouse in the posts you found?
        Hi caffeol, I appreciate the reply.  Boat anchor, it is pretty heavy, but I reckon it may be recoverable (my optimism always gets me into financial trouble  ;D)
        Thanks for the pointer to Bigwarehouse, I had already found it in the posts and I have already put in a largish order for bits and pieces.  I havent ordered anything to do with the heating problem yet as Im optimistic (that word again  ) that I can sort out a PCB problem, if thats what it is, without resorting to order an entire PCB.

Originally posted by 0C302D363C3D2A3F373C580 link=1302631487/2#2 date=1302653706
        You got the better of the two machines.  Wink

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.
        Hi Thundergod, thanks for the welcome to CS.  I am a little embarrassed because I didnt mention you explictly, yet a lot of the advice I have followed has been from your posts as well.  :-[

Thanks for validating what I thought, that Ive got a potentially good machine.  Ive always wanted one, but I just couldnt justify the funds.

Thanks for the replies, Ill update you on my progress and Ill shout out if I cant find what I need in the existing posts.
        If anyone does have some up to date schematics for the EM6910 PCB, that would make life easier, although I should be able to work out whats going on by taking measurements off the steam circuit.

Thanks again,
        Gant.

Comment

Im about to get my 2 year old EM6910 replaced under extended warranty for this exact issue. Its the 3rd time its been in for repairs in the past 12 months with the same problem - the insurer said theyre replacing it because Sunbeam has no replacement parts in stock and doesnt expect to have any until September. Hence the new machine. As for the cause of the issue, the girl said it was the thermoblock (she wasnt more specific re parts).

Comment

Originally posted by 475252524C59200 link=1302631487/4#4 date=1302685847
            As for the cause of the issue, the girl said it was the thermoblock (she wasnt more specific re parts).
            Hi grrrly,

Thanks for the reply.  Ive been continuing the testing and it isnt the thermoblock and all the thermoblock components are OK (it heats up fine using the steam circuit).

Gant

Comment

My 4yo EM6910 had the flashing green light, but never quite ready problem just a few months ago. I managed to get it working for another 24 hours by thumping the front - not in the manual!

The local Sunbeam repair shop ordered and replaced a circuit board. Cant recall the cost of that bit alone since the repairer insisted I should also replace the socket where the group head twists in. I think the cost was about $50 for the board. Its been working fine ever since. Over all Ive been very pleased with the EM6910 - I use it a lot and bang per buck its been great.

There was one annoyance associated with this last repair though - apart from them losing the red drip tray float! I was quite happy with the amount of wear and the slightly past halfway angle that the group handle had settled into over the years. But I figured hed know when things were worn and at his urging agreed to have the socket fitting replaced. Got it home and decided to do a full clean including a (Sunbeam) tablet group head wash. It did the cycle OK, but only a couple of drops of dirty water arrived in the jug Id placed underneath.

I then discovered I couldnt budge the group handle - the pressure was still full-on inside it. I tried everything including power off/on, a repeat clean cycle and waited for an hour or two. Still stuck. Eventually I left it overnight and the next day it came off easily.

Thanks to this extended stress, the group head handle now rotates in the new socket almost as far as it did with the old worn one! I should have stuck with the old one and saved $80. Grrr! 

Comment

Hi All,

Just an update, parts are on order, there was an attempted delivery yesterday but the postie left a card.  Didnt see the card until gone 5pm.  Now have to wait till Wednesday to pick the bits up :.

Have also been looking into grinders and even the the EM0490 is out and good prices can be had on the EM0480; Ill probably plump for the Breville BCG800.

Next update when the bits are in and fitted.

Gant

Comment

Originally posted by 66444E53464440210 link=1302631487/5#5 date=1302705963
                  Ive been continuing the testing and it isnt the thermoblock and all the thermoblock components are OK (it heats up fine using the steam circuit).
                  Im sure you are aware that there are two thermoblocks - one for steam and one for brewing

Comment

Originally posted by 765157505D240 link=1302631487/8#8 date=1303686092
                    Reply #8 - Today at 9:01am Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove
                    Gant wrote on Apr 14th, 2011 at 12:46am:
                    Ive been continuing the testing and it isnt the thermoblock and all the thermoblock components are OK (it heats up fine using the steam circuit).

Im sure you are aware that there are two thermoblocks - one for steam and one for brewing
                    OOPS! I should have read your post more carefuly :

Comment

Originally posted by 1334323538410 link=1302631487/9#9 date=1303686288
                      OOPS! I should have read your post more carefuly Roll Eyes

No Probs, thanks for taking the time to reply

Comment

Hi CSers,

Its Alive!!  Thanks to the excellent information on this board the 6910 is back up and running.  Ive replaced the collar, group seal, the (main) PCB and the float.  Ive given the unit a damn good clean as well.  Everything works and the steam output seems to be excellent.
                        The old PCB has also been repaired and Ill be keeping it as a spare.

All I need now is a decent grinder, Im thinking the BCG800.

Thanks again, this board is tops! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Comment

Nice score Gant.

Any chance of talking your Nespresso mate into giving you a grinder too?
                          ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 200F0518610 link=1302631487/12#12 date=1304046586
                            Nice score Gant.
                            Thanks Andy, it was quite enjoyable getting it working.  Im looking forward to learning the art of making coffee.

Originally posted by 200F0518610 link=1302631487/12#12 date=1304046586
                            Any chance of talking your Nespresso mate into giving you a grinder too?
                            Chance would be a fine thing
                            Unfortunately he never had a grinder, hence the Nespresso!  :

Comment

Hi Gant and everyone,

I am in en eerily similar situtation. Just got a broken EM6910 from a friend who bought a nespresso. It was neglected with dirty tank and filter, and heaps of old coffee stuck in the shower screens.

I have given it a good clean, but it has the "never quite ready" problem. However, I have been able to run the backflush routine, so I know that the pump works and the water comes out hot. On the other hand, I am not sure if the steam side is working because I havent been able to run the steam pump.

Ive just started to strip it down. Did you fix your old PCB yourself? What exactly was the problem with it?

Thanks to all the great posters on the forum who have contributed useful information about troubleshooting these machines!

Comment

Working...
                              X