Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunbeam EM6910 issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sunbeam EM6910 issues

    Okay Im joining the ranks of the not so happy Sunbeam owners. Have recently had a problem with my red light flashing below the water level indicator along with other problems mentioned below.

    From reading here I have discovered others with similar issues. I have also found that the steam temp from the wand is about 50 deg when I hold the temp gauge there. Also the water that comes out into a jug is a max of 60 deg.

    From my experiments I have found that if I remove the water container and take out the float and hold it against the side that it would normally be on the light goes out.

    My question is then if I get a new float does that effect the temps of the steam and water or is that a separate issue?

    I have also changed the advanced options to changed the steam and water temps but doesnt seem to make any difference.

    Im tempted to take the thing back if the thermoblocks are going to be a problem. If anyone has any tips they can pass on it would be greatly appreciated. Was purchased in 04/08.

  • #2
    Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

    Hey
    I am having similar issues. My machine has the red light flashing and when I use steam it beeps. I find also when I am steaming milk enough for 2 I dont get to the end as the machine shuts down.

    I have just been persisting with it like this for a while. One day it might blow up and then I will have to buy a new one

    I"ll be interested to hear if anyone has a solution.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

      I gave my sunbeam to my son and it has started with the red flashing light (Water Low light) and beeping but heats up all right and still works. I dont know what is causing the problem but he hasnt descaled it for a few months - I was thinking that may be the problem :-[ I have told him to do a descale and I am waiting for him to get back to me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

        Hi all,

        The red light problem I believe is a faulty magnet inside the black float which in turn is inside the water container.

        Im ringing Sunbeam today to see if I can get a replacement under warranty.

        I have read in the forum here somewhere about the exact same issue and they have done the same thing until I can get a replacement and that is to use a fridge magnet on the area where the black float would sit until you can get a replacement. Be aware of your water level in the mean time though as it will not indicate a low level if you have one fixed in place.

        Found the link here:
        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265766408

        Not sure about the shut down issue sueb2 maybe others could comment on that but if you have a look in the back of the Sunbeam book there is some advanced options you could increase the steam maybe worth a try. 

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

          On the steam temperature - I reckon you have measurement errors. A bit sus that 50*C water under relatively low pressure is steam not liquid - and that the condensed water is hotter than the steam leaving the wand! If youre using a milk thermometer, bear in mind that most of the spike needs to be immersed in a liquid to give a remotely accurate reading, and even then theyre pretty inaccurate.

          Steam should be adequate if a bit slow compared to a boiler machine – I guess I can texture about 100-150ml of milk and bring it to 70*C in about 30 seconds.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

            m@ interesting about the 30sec to steam milk. I was only just thinking this arvo that I want a new machine and a priority would be quick steamer!!!

            Ive given mine a good clean and descale etc. Ive played around with the magnet also.

            Mine is 4 yrs old so I think I will keep going until it goes no more .......

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

              Originally posted by 686E7E79291B0 link=1305622310/1#1 date=1305625313
              Hey
              I am having similar issues.  My machine has the red light flashing and when I use steam it beeps.  I find also when I am steaming milk enough for 2 I dont get to the end as the machine shuts down.

              I have just been persisting with it like this for a while.  One day it might blow up and then I will have to buy a new one

              I"ll be interested to hear if anyone has a solution.
              Interesting, mine does exactly the same thing, flashing red level light and shuts down after long milk frothing, I like the idea with the fridge magnet, will give that a try although cant see that having any effect with the shut down problem, I have replaced the p.c board before in my other machine and they are only $70 so at worst ill change out this one as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

                Hi I tried the magnet idea to no evail probably need bigger magnet. I might just tape up light that will fix it ha ha.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

                  yes I tried the fridge magnet idea and they arnt strong enough, I got a small round magnet and that worked well. Now will test for a while to see if it is still shutting down after double pour and froth.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

                    I also tried the fridge magnet idea with no luck, even the smaller magnets didnt give much success for me. It still shut down after a double pour / froth so I had the machine replaced for free by sunbeam last week. The new machine just arrived, Ill make sure it works OK then probably sell it since I just received a $4500 Rancilio Class 10 machine as a birthday gift! The new Sunbeam EM6910 is going to be missed, but I just wont need it anymore...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

                      Mine is 4 yrs old so I think I will keep going until it goes no more .......
                      Hi Peter here I have just bought a 3 year old machine and now I am wondering how long will it last. What is the life of one of these machines?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

                        mine is about 4 years old, about 4 coffees a day, still going. parts are readily available.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Sunbeam EM6910 issues

                          Originally posted by 554147475D515051555A340 link=1305622310/0#0 date=1305622310
                          Okay Im joining the ranks of the not so happy Sunbeam owners. Have recently had a problem with my red light flashing below the water level indicator along with other problems mentioned below.

                          From reading here I have discovered others with similar issues. I have also found that the steam temp from the wand is about 50 deg when I hold the temp gauge there. Also the water that comes out into a jug is a max of 60 deg.

                          From my experiments I have found that if I remove the water container and take out the float and hold it against the side that it would normally be on the light goes out.

                          My question is then if I get a new float does that effect the temps of the steam and water or is that a separate issue?

                          I have also changed the advanced options to changed the steam and water temps but doesnt seem to make any difference.

                          Im tempted to take the thing back if the thermoblocks are going to be a problem. If anyone has any tips they can pass on it would be greatly appreciated. Was purchased in 04/08.
                          The float will not influence the temperature of the machine AT ALL.

                          Sometimes the float can get suck, so be sure to check that.

                          Its more than likely the probes in both the thermoblock and steam thermoblock have developed a layer of lime scale, and the machine is not registering the correct temperatures.


                          Originally posted by 6740555A340 link=1305622310/2#2 date=1305627072
                          I gave my sunbeam to my son and it has started with the red flashing light (Water Low light) and beeping but heats up all right and still works.  I dont know what is causing the problem but he hasnt descaled it for a few months - I was thinking that may be the problem  :-[  I have told him to do a descale and I am waiting for him to get back to me.
                          Sounds like the nut that attaches from the steam pump to the thermoblock is loose (plastic on metal fitting never works well with heat). The water sloooowly drips down from the loose nut and touches the contacts of the steam pump. You can either get this fixed at a service agent, or fix it yourself Easy as.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ok the error regarding the beeping is because either you do not have the magnet and cap that go in the bucket for the water or there is an issue with the magnet detection or the magnet has become defective some how.

                            The beeping should go away once that part is fixed. It looks like the magnet is to indicate that the tank is almost empty as it floats in water. when it drops to far or is not there the beeping starts.

                            sorry i just noticed the above posts. the magnet does need to be somewhat strong to work. mine attached to a teaspoon quite easily

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had red light flashing, bought a new magnet $7.50 off ebay all good now, very happy with the machine. I was speaking with a coffee repair bloke, 99% of red flashing light problems is magnet in water chamber has lost its magneticness......I think thats a word!
                              Last edited by scottthepom; 9 April 2013, 12:21 PM. Reason: error in print

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X