Breville Dual Boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Dual Boiler

Breville are soon to release a new coffee machine and there has been lengthy discussion at: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1301294820

Perhaps someone from Breville might like to contribute to this new discussion with a comprehensive list of the specifications...

Re: Breville Dual Boiler

Ive only seen pics of the machine here on CS and have not used it and I was going to buy a Silvia to replace my Saeco V V but now I will wait and have a good look at the Breville when they hit the shelves. Are they only going to be sold in the big department stores?

Comment

Originally posted by 2B303126326E5F0 link=1306475432/1#1 date=1306504334
      Are they only going to be sold in the big department stores?
      Nope. Talk Coffee and Cuppacoffee will be selling them and would not be surprised if several others sponsors will be doing the same.

Comment

Ill start the technical off with a link to Mark Princes excellent and comprehensive review

Comment

That is the most comprehensive review Ive seen yet.
          The only thing I still really want to know is the steaming ability. Given there is a recognised problem and it has been addressed in the production machines, I guess we have to wait for an answer.

Comment

I would like a mailing list set up so when the special CS pricing is announced, I will be alerted so I can run to the computer and empty my wallet online.

Comment

Originally posted by 192C2126120E222B2B28284D0 link=1306475432/3#3 date=1306532929
              Ill start the technical off with a link to Mark Princes excellent and comprehensive review
              Agreed, its a great review, and thanks for the link! I hope the family councillors and the like are ready for some work - with that many features to play with I can see a lot of coffee enthusiasts spending many happy hours tweaking and tasting and ignoring the rest of the world- all good fun .

Comment

Originally posted by 3139373F3D27273B373F540 link=1306475432/4#4 date=1306539778
                The only thing I still really want to know is the steaming ability. Given there is a recognised problem and it has been addressed in the production machines, I guess we have to wait for an answer.
                Even with the steam problem it does a better job then a Expobar Minore Dual Boiler.

So at worst the Breville is still awesome.

Comment

I have to chuck in my $0.02 on this one too. It was really nice to have this machine on the bench at Beanology. I know Andy had a big machine setup in the room next door, so that anyone who felt suddenly de-caffeinated could scoot over and discretely pull a shot. Anytime.

But the Breville was just sitting there, and I reckon everyone who attended pulled most of their coffee from that machine.

Id give it a full 10/10 on the shots - the COE was just lovely and the Yemeni was, well, awesome. The thing stood up to the beating without even looking like something might go wrong, heated up quickly and yielded a perfect shot etc etc.

At the time, I hadnt read the CG review and was wondering how itd last. 15K cycles is a pretty impressive testing regime.

I think when I replace my Silvia, thisll be a potential #1 contender. Seems robust and has superlative temperature control. What more could you want?

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 525354190 link=1306475432/8#8 date=1306556546
                    I have to chuck in my $0.02 on this one too.  It was really nice to have this machine on the bench at Beanology.  I know Andy had a big machine setup in the room next door, so that anyone who felt suddenly de-caffeinated could scoot over and discretely pull a shot.  Anytime.

But the Breville was just sitting there, and I reckon everyone who attended pulled most of their coffee from that machine.

Id give it a full 10/10 on the shots - the COE was just lovely and the Yemeni was, well, awesome.  The thing stood up to the beating without even looking like something might go wrong, heated up quickly and yielded a perfect shot etc etc.

At the time, I hadnt read the CG review and was wondering how itd last.  15K cycles is a pretty impressive testing regime. 

I think when I replace my Silvia, thisll be a potential #1 contender.  Seems robust and has superlative temperature control.  What more could you want?

/Kevin
                    ....and faultlessly at the shed too this morning Kevin.

Every shot I poured was on the Breville. The steam may be a tad slow on this pre-production machine but its almost impossible not to produce perfect microfoam. We know that steam performance has been attended to.

Its sad that there are a whole heap of keyboard experts who have yet to even lay hands or eyes on the machine and yet seem to want to talk it down. Tall poppy syndrome is ugly. Today, quite a few cynics may well be chowing down on their hats.

Said it before, and Ill say it again. This machine will be a category killer.

Comment

I am interested to find out how much faster the steam is on the production model, the machine itself has everything going for it, its certainly going to make itself a name when its been on sale for a few months given all the reports people have shared.

Im having a hard time trying to think about purchasing one of these though when I have already set my sights on a VBM Jnr, I am coming from a PID Silvia which I am sick of the wet steam and inconsistent microfoam efforts, the footprint of the VBM and its sexy style is what Im after and its a machine that hopefully would end my suffering but the Breville is an attractive option :-/

Time will tell for me, but I would love to have a play with the machine, if Im in Melbourne before Im ready to purchase Ill be visiting your shop Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 66696E736F64010 link=1306475432/10#10 date=1306592193
                        I am interested to find out how much faster the steam is on the production model
                        150ml of milk from ~8degC to 65degC was 36secs, now 33secs. Its now faster than an Expobar Minore dual boiler. Also the Expobar steam boiler had to have its standard pressure raised from 1.2bar to 1.5bar as the steam output didnt match the total area of the holes in the steam tip.

Seems to be a lot of focus on the speed of the milk here, but not much on the quality of the textured milk.

As a side note, I just enjoyed some Intelligentsia "Black Cat" off the DB this morning that was kindly sent by Stef from our LA office!

Cheers, Phil

Comment

I am disgusted how everybody continues to talk down this machine. Why cant people just wait until it is out before making their judgement on it.

I think it will be an awesome machine, based on what I have read. I find it interesting that this website has been used by Breville as a pre launch marketing tool, however the first useful write-up on the machine was posted on a different coffee website (albeit a link placed on this site eventually to the article). I would have thought that someone who had used the machine would/could have done a comprehensive review on this site to appease the masses. Instead there have been pages and pages of repeated basic information.

Comment

Originally posted by 1D1C4958582C0 link=1306475432/12#12 date=1306619503
                            I am disgusted how everybody continues to talk down this machine.  Why cant people just wait until it is out before making their judgement on it.

I think it will be an awesome machine, based on what I have read.  I find it interesting that this website has been used by Breville as a pre launch marketing tool, however the first useful write-up on the machine was posted on a different coffee website... 
                            Too right 10ett. Many who talk it down havent even seen it, let alone used it. Many of them have a completely different and irrelevant agenda- which sadly has nothing to do with the machine. Small things- as they say :.

As for the review, Mark Prince knows his stuff- and then some. His body of work on the Dual Boiler represents many hours and any susbsequent review could only reinvent the wheel. His review is full of positives and having spent quite a few hours with the machine now, I can only endorse it.

Heres hoping that this thread will remain about the machine and will in time become a comprehensive resource for new owners of the machine.

I am hoping we will be able to make a pre-purchase offer soon for those who are ready to jump on the boat.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 08095C4D4D390 link=1306475432/12#12 date=1306619503
                              I would have thought that someone who had used the machine would/could have done a comprehensive review on this site to appease the masses.
                              I think the difficulty in doing so was that we simply didnt have enough time with the machine. Im glad that in the end the comprehensive review from Mark Prince.

Originally posted by 545A5257505E514D49390 link=1306475432/11#11 date=1306616864
                              Seems to be a lot of focus on the speed of the milk here, but not much on the quality of the textured milk.
                              I agree Phil. Id rather spend a few more seconds to create milk with fine texture, just as we do to grind on demand and have fresh coffee.

The steam tip holes are ultra fine and the configuration as a whole allows more control and very fine, silky milk, easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X