Rancilio Silvia uneven pour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia uneven pour

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with an uneven pour from a silvia with a double spout? One side pours well but the other side just dribbles.

Re: Rancilio Silvia uneven pour

This would most likely be the machine not being level, or the basket not being dosed and/or tamped evenly, or a bit of both. There was a thread on this not too long ago from memory, and it was also a silvia.

The dosing/tamping issue is easily diagnosed if you have access to a naked PF.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 2F3C3A232F204E0 link=1311750536/1#1 date=1311751341
      This would most likely be the machine not being level, or the basket not being dosed and/or tamped evenly, or a bit of both.  There was a thread on this not too long ago from memory, and it was also a silvia.

The dosing/tamping issue is easily diagnosed if you have access to a naked PF.

Cheers
      Hi artman,

Do a quick search on "silvia uneven pour" >>>>>^^^^^

You will find plenty to read.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Just to short circuit web mining a bit - Id bet uneven tamp. Unless of course youre doing this on a yacht...

/Kevin
          (As someone who had this issue, adjusted the tamp and fixed the problem ;-) )

Comment

Best garantee of an even tamp is to use thumb and forefinger on the rim of the basket and give it at least a quarter of a turn. Your fingers will feel the difference as it travels around the base of the tamper; if there is no difference, the tamp is level.

Comment

FYI I noticed my Breville was pouring uneven if the pf was locked in the usual "5 oclock" position. I tried at the 6 oclock and the pour seemed to even out...

Later I removed the shower screen and found out why :-[ there was some loose gunk in there unevenly blocking part of the screen. Cleaned it out, and voila!

Comment

Originally posted by 667D777C7566707578757675140 link=1311750536/5#5 date=1311836946
                Best garantee of an even tamp is to use thumb and forefinger on the rim of the basket and give it at least a quarter of a turn. Your fingers will feel the difference as it travels around the base of the tamper; if there is no difference, the tamp is level.
                Nah - for me it was actually looking at the nice rings on the Pullman tamper. I just got too slap-dash : But the thumb technique is what Id use if I didnt use one of Gregs most excellent tampers

/Kevin

Comment

I know Im always prone to give an un-level tamp, and when I notice and pour anyway, it always is uneven. Sometimes it starts to flow down one side rather than the other, but usually ends up coming through on the other side. If this happens, I found that using a knife to help the other side start moving sooner is an easy fix. This could be because our bench is not level.

Comment

Originally posted by 7377757B6D7071697A71701E0 link=1311750536/8#8 date=1325212777
                    If this happens, I found that using a knife to help the other side start moving sooner is an easy fix
                    please explain how you use a knife during the pour?

It sounds like youre definitely tamping unevenly.  This could make one cup taste worse than the other - and both would taste a bit worse than if they were even.  If you want to go down that path that is... not everyone does, but why else would you be here?

Comment

Working...
                    X