Sunbeam Intuitive issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam Intuitive issues

WEve had this machine for 3 years. recently it has been in the shop regularly for replacement parts (normal wear apparently according to the shop ?)

This time its inoperable for a slightly different reason - during a clean recently, the safety switch in the swtichboard flipped and the power to that circuit went off. Once I switched the power back on, the machine now doesnt go back on - it flashes (LCD) but doesnt operate. Additionally, I cannot take the brewing unit out - I think because it was in the middle of a clean cycle and the release lever now doesnt open.

Any ideas on how to fix this - eg factory reset or something? I dont fancy another $150 or more cost at the store to get this fixed - at that rate it will be headed to the scrap heap.

Re: Sunbeam Intuitive issues

This is where a valued member named AM, aptly named Anger Management would chime in with a chain of questions and solutions to follow. Alas, he has left the building.

Common sense tells me something in the machine has fried, and stops the machine from operating as the problem stops the whole chain from operating.

Most likely electrical. Best bet still is to consult a qualified repairer rather than dig around in there if you dont know what to do, if no one here is able to offer a solution.

Resist from throwing it away. Am sure there are users who would like spare parts and you can earn some change to go towards your next machine.

Gary at G

Comment

This is a wild guess, but a fuse could have blown - if the electronics still operate but the pump / heater is not then theres probably a separte fuse somewhere inside.  Sometimes they "just blow" taking out breakers on the way. If you can locate and replace it you may be in luck.

BEWARE - entering the inside can be dangerous if you dont know what youre doing.  Switch off and unplug the machine, let it sit for 10 minutes, and even if you do replace the fuse, it may have blown for a good reason, such as a wire shorting to the case, so be vewwy vewwy caweful!  If a new fuse blows as soon as you put it in and turn it on - or if you see smoke at any time - then stop straight away and take it in to be repaired.  Also make sure you put it together properly before turning on.  Note this can void any warranty and render your machine an irreperable paperweight!

If you feel like going down this path, why not take some photos on the way for others to learn from?

HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by 6A626A6D6761030 link=1312202818/2#2 date=1312239389
        This is a wild guess, but a fuse could have blown - if the electronics still operate but the pump / heater is not then theres probably a separte fuse somewhere inside.  Sometimes they "just blow" taking out breakers on the way. If you can locate and replace it you may be in luck.

BEWARE - entering the inside can be dangerous if you dont know what youre doing.  Switch off and unplug the machine, let it sit for 10 minutes, and even if you do replace the fuse, it may have blown for a good reason, such as a wire shorting to the case, so be vewwy vewwy caweful!  If a new fuse blows as soon as you put it in and turn it on - or if you see smoke at any time - then stop straight away and take it in to be repaired.  Also make sure you put it together properly before turning on.  Note this can void any warranty and render your machine an irreperable paperweight!

If you feel like going down this path, why not take some photos on the way for others to learn from?

HTH!
        This probably explains why the main safety switch kept flipping on our fusebox. And since i have unplugged the machine, the safety switch no longer flips!

I am nowhere game enough to start taking it apart myself. I assume the repair store will charge just to look at it? And then more than likely give me a quote for a number i am not willing to pay.....

So should i just buy a sunbeam 6910 ? Saw it on sale for $498.

Comment

I am not at all familiar with the innards of the SB EM69xx range of machines but given my electrical background, it sounds suspiciously like a burned out heating element/thermoblock.

How likely this is to be with the Sunbeam design, Im not absolutely positive but the mere fact of the Safety Switch tripping indicates that there is an Earth Fault of some description inside the machine. At the very least, you should get a licensed sparky to check the machine out for you....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D60696F780C0 link=1312202818/3#3 date=1312286244
            So should i just buy a sunbeam 6910 ? Saw it on sale for $498.
            Sure, but you may or may not be in the same position in the near future - warranty expired and machine zapped.

Do that every 2 years at, say, $500 a go, spending $2500 over 10 years, OR spend $2500 on a real machine that will last for 10+ years if looked after, with minimal servicing, designed to be fixed in part and not replaced in whole

And thats only based on price - image the nice coffee you would be drinking!

(PS I say this because I just put my money where my mouth is, and did as advised, although I went for a second hand model reducing my outlay further...)

Comment

Originally posted by 6A626A6D6761030 link=1312202818/5#5 date=1312294702
              So should i just buy a sunbeam 6910 ?  Saw it on sale for $498.
              Sure, but you may or may not be in the same position in the near future - warranty expired and machine zapped.

Do that every 2 years at, say, $500 a go, spending $2500 over 10 years, OR spend $2500 on a real machine that will last for 10+ years if looked after, with minimal servicing, designed to be fixed in part and not replaced in whole

(PS I say this because I just put my money where my mouth is, and did as advised, although I went for a second hand model reducing my outlay further...)
              Alas I dont have anywhere near $2000 (right now) to spend on a machine. My understanding from these forums was that the Sunbeam EM6910 was a good/leading machine in that price range (500-1000)? I assume since it has fewer moving parts internally it would be more reliable than the Intuitive machine we have.....

Comment

Originally posted by 444C4443494F2D0 link=1312202818/5#5 date=1312294702
                So should i just buy a sunbeam 6910 ?  Saw it on sale for $498.

And which $2000 would you recommend?

Comment

What about a used Silvia? They appear regularly in the for sale section of the forum (one there now actually), and often for less than the discounted 6910 price?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 2231372E222D430 link=1312202818/8#8 date=1312424069
                    What about a used Silvia?  They appear regularly in the for sale section of the forum (one there now actually), and often for less than the discounted 6910 price?

Cheers
                    Have not managed to find the sales section of this site.... :-?

Comment

Alect,
                      Took me a few minutes to find too when I first joined. Youd think it would be under "For Sale", but look under
                      "Coffee Hardware for Sale"

Comment

Originally posted by 697B75637F1A0 link=1312202818/10#10 date=1312427828
                        Alect,
                        Took me a few minutes to find too when I first joined.  Youd think it would be under "For Sale", but look under
                        "Coffee Hardware for Sale"
                        Found it now This site could use some usability "refinements"

Only Silvia for sale is in Brisbane with local pick up only.....

Comment

Another one with PID:
                          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312435969

These sorts of machines pop up on a regular basis.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 7261677E727D130 link=1312202818/12#12 date=1312437671
                            Another one with PID:
                            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312435969

These sorts of machines pop up on a regular basis.

Cheers
                            Thanks. I keep reading about "PID" - what is that?

Comment

What is a PID?

Elsewhere it can mean pelvic inflammatory disease.

Here a PID is a Proportional-Integral-Differential. A controller to monitor and maintain brew boiler temperature in a coffee machine.

With a name like that we just call it a PID.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X