Gaggia classic pre-infusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia classic pre-infusion?

Yesterday (by accident) and today (deliberately) i started to brew with the steam tap open, this seemed to reduce the pressure to the brew prior to me closing the steam tap.

This seemed to give a better shot.

Did this generate a low pressure pre-infusion?

Re: Gaggia classic pre-infusion?

yes, but with little time for the coffee to expand maybe? Pre-infusion time is generally about what... 5 or 6 seconds?

Vibe pumps should ramp up pressure to circa 9 bar over a few seconds anyway, so that coupled with some deft manipulation of the steam tap.... hmmm, interesting!

I know what Im trying tomorrow, cheers!

I normally activate the pump for a few seconds, then kill it, then go again after a short pause - seems to result in a more controlled pour.

Comment

re:
      "...Did this generate a low pressure pre-infusion?..."

Doubt it. The water will take the path of least resistance which when the steam tap is open, is to go straight up and through the open steam tap and not to the puck. Try doing the same with the group handle not locked in to the group and see what happens. Even if in that instance some water does come through the group , when the group handle and puk are on they are forming a resistance barrier and I dont think any water will significantly penetrate the puk to start any pre infusion process. In fact this would cause all the more water to bypass through to the steam pipe away from the grinds...

Of course all this is just theory, and the rest is whatever anyone thinks has happened and if someone thinks the coffee is improved doing it that way, then that is good for them.

Rgdz,
      Attilio
      very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E6A7D6B70475B777E7E7D7D180 link=1312323273/2#2 date=1312419510
        Try doing the same with the group handle not locked in to the group and see what happens.
        I did try this and got good flow from both

I also managed to get flow through the puck and wand at the same time

Note sure what I am getting but still trying and enjoying the results and experiment.
        Originally posted by 5E6A7D6B70475B777E7E7D7D180 link=1312323273/2#2 date=1312419510
        Of course all this is just theory, and the rest is whatever anyone thinks has happened and if someone thinks the coffee is improved doing it that way, then that is good for them.
        I love this approach

Comment

Re: "...I also managed to get flow through the puck and wand at the same time..."

Doesnt sound right to me. That is, not disputing this is happening, just that if there is enough resistance in the steam circuit to result in flow getting through the puk at the same time as the steam tap is open, to me that would indicate a problem with partial blockage or restriction in the steam circuit somewhere...

If however the machine works ok in all its functions regardless, then enuff said.

A.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D796E78635448646D6D6E6E0B0 link=1312323273/2#2 date=1312419510
            water will take the path of least resistance
            I agree

I was just trying to remember which of the laws of physics that is?

I think the shot was just a better shot not because of steam pip just because my shots change

Comment

Originally posted by 3F29753A7531752B3238303E2932353C5B0 link=1312323273/5#5 date=1312532211
              Fresh_Coffee wrote Yesterday at 10:58:

I agree

Gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E6F646463790A0 link=1312323273/6#6 date=1312537140
                Originally posted by 3F29753A7531752B3238303E2932353C5B0 link=1312323273/5#5 date=1312532211
                Fresh_Coffee wrote Yesterday at 10:58:

I agree

Gravity.

Or laziness?

Comment

Working...
                X