Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES900 (Dual Boiler) - First Problems

Hi All,
    Just started playing with my new BES900 and have come across two (2) problems:

1. LCD text disappears, comes back after turning the machine off at the powerpoint for a minute but then goes off again after a minute or so??

2. With the coffee grinds at the top or even below the top of the filter basket, the coffee clashes with the grouphead filter/ outlet and you cant tighten the portafilter??

Does anyone have any ideas before I call Breville tomorrow morning?

Cheers,

Charlie.   

Re: Breville BES900 (Dual Boiler) - First Problems

Cant help with number 1 but number 2 just sounds like you are putting far too much coffee into the portafilter to me. Also with a new machine and seals, I wouldnt be surprised if you cant get the portafilter all the way across...happens even when we put new seals into our commercial machines.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D7A7772721E0 link=1312889310/0#0 date=1312889310
      With the coffee grinds at the top or even below the top of the filter basket, the coffee clashes with the grouphead filter/ outlet and you cant tighten the portafilter??
      You are putting to much coffee in the filter basket

Just as a comparison on my machine I tamp approx 8mm deep
      Play around a bit with different depths and when you have a 1 mm " locked in" clearance to the water screen of the group head, then thats the correct depth

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 4245484D4D210 link=1312889310/0#0 date=1312889310
        With the coffee grinds at the top or even below the top of the filter basket, the coffee clashes with the grouphead filter/ outlet and you cant tighten the portafilter??

Try the 5cent coin test to work out how much you should be dosing.
        The 5cent piece should only leave a slight imprint in the puck after youve locked in the handle,

What is your dosing process?

Comment

About your second issue:

What filter are you using and how much coffee are you dosing? it definitely sounds like you dosing too much, if the coffee is at the top of the basket after you tamp thats overdosed or even slightly under the lip it still might be overdosed.

You can always use the 5 cent trick to find out if you are overdosing by placing a 5 cent piece in the center after tamping, it the 5c piece is buried in the coffee its overdosed, it should only leave a slight indent on the coffee. Thats a general rule of thumb to check.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. Ill definitely try the 5c rule of thumb. Seems to be a very small window between the level being just right and the tamp bottoming out on the basket as the walls start tapering in... This occurs on both single and double shot single wall baskets. Probably all just user error at this stage.

Comment

Good on you, Charlie...have a go and be sure to let us know what you work out. Thanks for being so gracious!!

Comment

Originally posted by 64636E6B6B070 link=1312889310/0#0 date=1312889310
                Which baskets the pressurised or the un pressurised

Breviille recommends you tamping to the line on the inbuilt tamper ie where the silver bit meets the black bit

Comment

Hi Charlie,

You need to find the right dose for the machine, If the puck just brushes the shower screen, thats ok, but you are currently overdosing. Do something consistently to deliver a lower dose. My experience is that the machine requires a slightly lower dose that the e-61 gear.

The other issue is concerning. Hopefully it can be attended to as a matter of urgency.

The boxes I opened yesterday were all fine and ours will be in the hands of some of our purchasers tomorrow.

Just goes to show the value of a bench test. Even though manufacturers and imports might test machines, we do it anyway to ensure that all is well.

Good luck with it all.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 54535E5B5B370 link=1312889310/0#0 date=1312889310
                    1. LCD text disappears, comes back after turning the machine off at the powerpoint for a minute but then goes off again after a minute or so??

Other questions have been answered so lets look at this one.

Is it just a power/screen saving measure. Does it say anything in the manual about the screen powering off to save electrickery or to prolong its life? Does pressing a button bring the screen back?

Comment

LCD screen would light up but not display any text. The machine does go to standby mode however this issue was occurring minutes after switching the unit on at the power point and also whilst operating. Pressing program buttons (incl. Menu) would not do a thing apart from make the operation buttons blink. Since last night having turned the unit off for longer than a couple of minutes, Ive not noticed this issue occurring again, fingers crossed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1513040F15120A08610 link=1312889310/9#9 date=1312939552
                        Is it just a power/screen saving measure. Does it say anything in the manual about the screen powering off to save electrickery or to prolong its life? Does pressing a button bring the screen back?
                        The LCD back-light will power down after about 30secs (dark) & pressing any key or button should bring it back up again. You should still be able to see the actual display characters even when "dark". CharlieD, is this whats happening?

Cheers, Phil

Comment

Loveing it!

No LCD issues since first incident, which corrected itself after a period of power isolation. Shot quantity now sorted, using the BCG-800 with shims installed.
                          Thanks to all those that provided advice!!

Comment

CharlieD great to hear! If you do have any hicups, you can always factory reset the machine. If you have volumes that dont look right or are inconsistent, try this reset. With the machine OFF, press & hold both the 1 & 2 cup buttons, then press the POWER button & the machine will display RESET. Youll have factory settings for everything, so youll need to adjust your temp, pre-infusion pressure & duration, clock, auto-start time etc.

Cheers, Phil

Comment

I been having problems with the relays not wanting to kick in for awhile now. I just release the button once or twice and they stop complaining. I did loose pre infusion and though it might be related but a factory reset solved that problem but didn't affect the relays. In june I will have had my machine for 3 years so it has probably been complaining for a year or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X