Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

mods - feel free to delete this but I feel with all the other dual boiler threads getting around there needs to be one that ends it all, a thread for people who have purchased the machine and for people looking to find out user experiences to make a decision on purchasing one.

A few people already have their units and are already pulling good shots.

So please post your thoughts, experiences and overall use of the machine, whether you will be sticking to the stock Breville baskets, steaming, testing different pre-infusion etc?

When I receive mine I will be playing around with the stock basket that comes with it and comparing it to the Synesso ridgeless I have and the 18g VST Ill have soon.

Its not long till all the people who put in for the early adopters receive their units so there will be quite a lot of information floating about after we all give them a decent run in.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences.

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

As noted in another thread Ive had mine for just over a day now. Havent really had the chance to play around with it too much. I wanted to dial it in with all the defaults first. Let me say that even with all the defaults this machine produces a great espresso. I mainly drink ristrettos and long black and Im more than happy.

Ive foamed milk for my wifes hot chocolate and was amazed with how easy it was to produce great microfoam. As others have said it probably doesnt have the same pressure as some other machines out there but the steam is very clean and dry.

Ill be mucking around with preinfusion and temperatures over the weekend. I have some VST baskets but will leave those until I understand the machine a bit better.

Danny

Comment

Picked up mine this morning from Chris (Talk Coffee) and have just finished setting it up.

First thoughts:
      1. As Chris notes, empty the paraphernalia out of the water container before filling with water or your coffee might taste funny :-)

2. Warms up fast.

3. Comes with dual walled baskets for pre-ground coffee. Funky. Into the drawer with those.

4. Portafilter has a plastic insert in the bottom. I would be interested in hearing the opinions of others regarding the value of this thing before I rip it out.

Ran through a few water flushing cycles as instructed on the sheet - yes, read the manual.

Pulled a shot of my standard random bean blend produced via popcorn roaster. I dont have the right coffee language or terms to adequately describe coffee, however the result can best be summed up by my wifes reaction - Wow!

My Gaggia Classic has served me faithfully for 10 years, but this really is a step up. Very happy.

Cheers.

Comment

4. Portafilter has a plastic insert in the bottom. I would be interested in hearing the opinions of others regarding the value of this thing before I rip it out.

Its meant to act as a insulator for the coffee if you havent bothered to preheat the PF.
        So if youre making an effort to ensure everything is heated and ready to go before you knock a shot out - then i would recommend removing it. Its also easier to keep the PF clean without it.

Cheers, B

Comment

Just wondering, for anyone who has gotten their pre-ordered bdb 900 yet. Has anyone taken a look to see how difficult it would be to replace the steam wand with a cool touch steam wand? Its one of the mods Im interested in doing eventually.

Comment

I picked up my Dual Boiler and Smart Grinder from Dennis (Cuppacoffee) this morning. Everything is working well. I just have to get used to the correct dosing etc. It is great with the instant steam and hot water.

Originally posted by 4C504C4C5053533F0 link=1312978609/3#3 date=1313208266
            Portafilter has a plastic insert in the bottom.
            I thought that the plastic insert in the group handle was to stop coffee gunk building up and giving nasty tastes. With it in, the quad basket I got from BeanBay won’t fit. I may wait until the naked groups appear. It should fit then.

Barry

Comment

The guys from Breville had removed the plastic insert from the machines used at the launch.

When the demo machine was at the shop, I only ever needed to rinse those portafilters with hot water (no chemicals) and they came up like new.

It will be the first and probably only mod I do when I get one for home.

Comment

Originally posted by 3325202031333F36363535500 link=1312978609/6#6 date=1313219647
                The guys from Breville had removed the plastic insert from the machines used at the launch.

When the demo machine was at the shop, I only ever needed to rinse those portafilters with hot water (no chemicals) and they came up like new.

It will be the first and probably only mod I do when I get one for home. 
                Agreed Den,

All but one of our machines have now been collected and are in the hands of the new owners or are in transit.

I am looking forward to reading the findings of our resident CSers. Im also confident that it should silence and clear the agendas of some very vocal cynics as well! :-?

Comment

Dennis, I hope that you have caught up on your sleep.

Den was up at 4am getting the BDB’s ready for delivery yesterday. They had been delivered to his shop late Friday.

I picked mine up just after 8am.

I am now consistently getting a great brew out of mine. This machine takes the guesswork and a lot of the hit and miss out of making good coffee that you have with lesser machines.

It will now be even harder for me to drink coffee away from home now, other than at a handful of cafés.  I may have to drink more water, tea, beer and red when out.

It will be interesting to see another independent review of this machine.

There is the comprehensive one by Mark Prince at Coffee Geek:

http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/brevilledualboiler/details

Perhaps someone could lend a machine to Andy for his comments.

I can’t give an independent review as I am now a total convert and a happy owner.

Barry

Comment

Picked mine up yesterday from Dennis at Cuppacoffee. So far I am very happy with mine.

Went straight to my VST 18g basket. Had to play with dose for a while but think I have it now. Am getting amazing shots now - have managed to pull three absolutely heavenly shots.

Am using manual, with the preset pressure of 60% for preinfusion. Have been preinfusing for 5-7 seconds so far. Havent started playing with temperature yet, as I want to learn to get a consistent, good shot first.

Steam is disappointing in power, but then you cannot help but get really good microfoam.

Am using it with my Fiorenzato Doge grinder. Although I got the package with a Breville Smart Grinder - it is my backup/holidays grinder now and Fio remains on duty at home.

I must say, coming from my Pavoni lever where the whole routine must be based around being ready to pull a shot when the machine is at temp - not before and not after - it is an amazing luxury to just walk up to the machine and pull a shot at perfect temp whenever I want!

The only problem Ive had so far is trying to not get over caffeinated.

Will try to leave a better review of the machine once Ive got more use under the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by 1C3F2C2C27011A2B303D3F305E0 link=1312978609/8#8 date=1313300131
                      Dennis, I hope that you have caught up on your sleep.

Den was up at 4am getting the BDB’s ready for delivery yesterday. They had been delivered to his shop late Friday.
                      I am one of those customers waiting on a delivery from Dennis and really appreciate his efforts in getting the machines out after their arrival at his shop. I cant help but wonder whether he was up at 4am due to his consuming way too much caffeine after "bench testing" the BES900s prior to shipping  ;D

Comment

Lets put this to rest (pun intended) and I can then leave this thread for actual owners to comment.

Due to some confusion, I only received 6 of the first 15 machines on Friday at 5.15. I hope to receive the other 9 on Wednesday and more to follow.

I actually woke up at 2.30 and couldnt get back to sleep, thinking, oh, what if one of the machines doesnt work, so yes, I was at the shop by 4 unpacking and testing.

Now, over to you...I know the machines work, and know that many new owners will be migrating from other equipment. I would be very interested to hear (though understand its difficult not to be biased), how the Dual Boiler compares with what you had - functionality and taste comparisons in particular.

Cheers (early night tonight)
                        Den

Comment

Originally posted by 7F5E555552483B0 link=1312978609/11#11 date=1313313878
                          Now, over to you...I know the machines work, and know that many new owners will be migrating from other equipment.  I would be very interested to hear (though understand its difficult not to be biased), how the Dual Boiler compares with what you had - functionality and taste comparisons in particular.
                          and some pics/vids as I am still waiting for mine to be available I guess the above post explains it and stops me feeling the need to email den to find out when it is coming

Comment

Cant wait to see/hear/read some CSsss reviews of the BES900! Can someone please chuck a sickie and spend a day with their new baby already!

Comment

Originally posted by 727A757974746F731B0 link=1312978609/10#10 date=1313308860
                              I am one of those customers waiting on a delivery from Dennis
                              Originally posted by 7F69357A3571356B7278707E6972757C1B0 link=1312978609/12#12 date=1313317788
                              I am still waiting for mine to be available
                              I hope that all you early adopters get your machines on the kitchen benches very soon so that you have a chance to drink the nectar of the gods.

I think you will find that the wait will have been worth it. It’s been a long journey with a great ending.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X