Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

Just reaching out to use your knowledge & experience. My BES900 has recently started to trip the power. After a bit of research I checked all the o rings to make sure they weren't leaking, but i don't think it's a leak causing it to trip, as all the connections are dry and it trips within a few seconds of turning on, so not really any chance for water to circulate.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?! Thanks!!!

Comment

• Could be a damaged element

Comment

• Hi all,

I picked up a used BES900 with the usual steam leakage symptoms - tripping rcd etc etc. Having used a 920 for a while I figured it would be a quick o ring job and a happy machine.

Upon switching out the orings I was dismayed to find that there was a pinhole corrosion spot on the steam boiler itself! I'd not heard of this problem with the Dual Boiler before. There was a lot of build up around the pin hole, and after a good soak in citric acid the pinhole is very clear. Small, but troublesome.

Is this a write off now? I can't find a 900 boiler, only 920 ones for sale, and for $300 at that. Some silver solder? If so, is flame on stainless steel boiler safe?

​​​​​​

Comment

• The boiler will need replacing. Once there is one pin hole others won't be far from breaking through. This will have been caused by improperly filtered water, specifically too many chlorides let through. Likely due to not replacing the in tank filter frequently enough / at all.

Comment

• Rats! Are the BES920 boilers compatible with them? Visually they look pretty much the same... But I want to be sure. Looks like the boiler will set me back $300 - does that sound about right?

Comment

• No idea. The 900 boilers may have one less hole due to not having a descale drain port. noidle22 would know.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoP View Post
                Rats! Are the BES920 boilers compatible with them? Visually they look pretty much the same... But I want to be sure. Looks like the boiler will set me back $300 - does that sound about right?
                You will need to check with your supplier if they have any older style boilers left in stock which they can sell you or only new style boilers. Breville have discontinued production of the old boiler which used o-ring fittings for the HX loop and now only make and supply the boilers with compression fittings on the HX loop.

If you can only get a new boiler, this may be ok. You will need two replacement tubes, one from the coffee pump OPV to HX inlet and one from the HX outlet to the coffee boiler. For a time, Breville were making machines with the comression fitting equipped steam boiler and normal o-ring fitting coffee boiler. Now, the Dual Boiler is supplied with compression fittings on the coffee boiler as well for some stupid reason. They never leaked so I don't see why they changed it.

Due to this original build of two different boilers, you can buy tubes with a compression fitting at one end and an o-ring fitting at the other, This way you don't need to change the coffee boiler.

Eventually I suspect they will only supply tubes with compression fittings at both ends. Without modifying tubes to o-ring type fittings (possible with a donor tube) this will necessitate changing the coffee boiler as well as the steam boiler. This will be cost prohibitive and nobody would do this repair, parts cost alone would be $500+.

You also need to address the descale port in the boiler. Easiest solution is to buy a descale port and tube and connect them. Otherwise, the port can be welded over.

$300 is about right for a steam boiler.

Comment

• Soooo...did anyone else realise that maintenance should include, the hose at the bottom of the boiler?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bdb_boiler_base_hoseattachment.png
Views:	61
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	846220
                  After 10 years, who'd have thunk it. ?

It could be the answer to all of the 'BDB is leaking, no idea where from though' comments.

I didn't take a photo (yeah yeah I know) of what it looked like all covered in gunk, which is what the sink top is covered in. Unfortunately, there seemed to be an issue removing the hose and fitting from the boiler, turns out that is because it's 'fused' itself in there.

Something that others might be interested in knowing, I've never descaled the boiler, so checking it out after remove, it appeared to look greenish in there. I did a vinegar and water solution first, it still smelt, so had another go with Cafetto espresso clean, just two scoops with hot water. Left it there for 24 hours or so, going and shaking it around every now and then. Poured it out and hey presto clean boiler. Interestingly, well to me, nothing 'coloured' came out but it's all clean just the same.

Turns out I can't afford to replace the BDB (without going backwards, and I have often have a noise issue), hence pulling the boiler out to see what was going on. I'm not sure how much I'll tell people, about how I'm going to make it last another ... years, because I could see someone doing it as a 'just because, so I never have to replace anything', instead of a 'last resort' effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoP View Post
                    Hi all,

I picked up a used BES900 with the usual steam leakage symptoms - tripping rcd etc etc. Having used a 920 for a while I figured it would be a quick o ring job and a happy machine.

Is this a write off now? I can't find a 900 boiler, only 920 ones for sale, and for $300 at that. Some silver solder? If so, is flame on stainless steel boiler safe?
                    ​​​​​​
                    Is this what you are looking for??

https://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/p...cts_id=1921482

Comment

• BoP
                      BoP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, the fuse is fine - there are two visible pin holes in the side of the boiler that produce steam when powered. All the o rings have been replaced - I can visibly see bubbling on the surface if I put some liquid over the top, like finding a leak with a bike tube.

• level3ninja
                      level3ninja commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That link is for the whole boiler, fuse included
                  Working...
                  X