No announcement yet.

Breville 800ESXL: Ever used? Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville 800ESXL: Ever used? Any tips?

Hi All

I am a newbie in to CS and I started my journey by buying a pretty entry level Breville 800esxl. I must say once I did a bit more research I realised by spending a bit more money I could have gotten a pretty decent machine. However the $350 I spent on this machine was well worth it.

Anyway I use Seven Seeds espresso blend and have finally managed to get the perfect grind and tamping and the extraction is pretty sweet. However my portafilter being the entry level it is doesnt divide the stream evenly on both sides. Have any of you guys ever used this machine before?

If so do you have any tips for a newbie like me.

Re: Breville 800ESXL: Ever used? Any tips?

Originally posted by 475F415A5F5D59555A340 link=1313121987/0#0 date=1313121987
    However my portafilter being the entry level it is doesnt divide the stream evenly on both sides.

could be your tamp is heavy on one side or your machine isnt level. people with machines that cost 10 times what yours did complain about this

Comment

Thanks heaps. I did think of that, I try to tamp as even as possible. Also the drip is not always the same side, I figured the thing could have been a bit moody,  but Ill try to even it out and see.

BTW I thin I posted in the wrong topic. Goumemasen  :-[

Comment

if the drips arent consistently on one side then its definitely your dosing and tamping technique.

You could try the Weiss distribution technique (google is your friend) to help with your dosing and then be extra careful with your tamping.

Fortunately the skills you are learning are directly transferable to any espresso machine upgrades you might make 8-)

Comment

could also be dirt inside the shower screen causing the flow to prefer one side than the other, but dosing and tamping is very important!

Comment

Working...
          X