Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I wont buy the BES900 (Can anyone help me fix my BES820?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I wont buy the BES900 (Can anyone help me fix my BES820?)

I started my espresso experience with Breville. I was like most people and didnt know anything and sunk too much money into a machine that has more bark than bite if you get my drift (the BES820).

Now after a year of use it has gone bung and when plugged into the wall the pump constantly runs. I am meticulous when I comes to cleaning and looking after the machine and the electronics have already failed. Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?

This does not inspire confidence, as I was seriously looking into buying the dual boiler but now I dont think I will. You cant go wrong with tried and true!

Re: Why I wont buy the BES900 (Can anyone help me fix my BES820?)

Well my mind is not so made up - Im seriously considering the 900 because of the extra warranty length. My ES800 only packed up this morning after around 5 years heavy use. I replaced a couple of seals 2 years ago but now it has started leaking a little internally and this morning it went psycho. I could perhaps fix the bugger by dismantling, cleaning & drying out the control circuits/connectors and replacing whatever seal/s is now leaking. But life is too short and I reckon therell be some extended warranty available for the 900... have you thought of getting yours apart for a quick look or fixing it?

Comment

I have commercial interests as I sell a few Breville products so take my comments as you please.

There have been times when Breville came up with ingenious ideas, eg.the ring pull power plug, original Ikon espresso machine, and who doesnt like a burning hot cheese and tomato jaffle from one of their jaffle makers! Apart from the odd exception, until earlier this year, I regarded them as general appliance makers, alebit of what seems to me of a higher quality than their competitors.

I think now though, they have lifted their game to an extent where it seems that they have almost re-invented themselves.

With the issue at hand, I think you should call Breville, and advise them of the issue. I guess it will mean it goes back to a service centre, but without your direct feedback it will be hard to rectify the situation.

All the best!

Comment

Yeah I think call and tell Breville. If its only a year old and only just out of warranty, they might be able to help you out. Definitely worth a try!

Comment

Well there you go, sounds like Breville are getting better and better at what they do - twist their arm - in fact you might not even have to if you just slip into the conversation you belong to coffeesnobs...

Comment

Originally posted by 554A7F7D7A7A757972781C0 link=1313283017/4#4 date=1313301615
            if you just slip into the conversation you belong to coffeesnobs...
            I doubt the regular phone-jockey (no offence) has even heard of coffeesnobs! Youll most likely get a general Breville call centre, not a coffee-specific one.

Worth calling though - Apple fixes gear just out of warranty periods.

Comment

Originally posted by 404840474D4B290 link=1313283017/5#5 date=1313310112
              Worth calling though - Apple fixes gear just out of warranty periods.
              I suspect that IV may not get too much love on a 5YO, heavily used machine  :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 1D282522160A262F2F2C2C490 link=1313283017/6#6 date=1313310492
                I suspect that IV may not get too much love on a 5YO, heavily used machine
                no, but Bazza might:

Originally posted by 0D3C2F2F302B2C2C3B3A490 link=1313283017/0#0 date=1313283017
                Now after a year of use it has gone bung

Besides, sounds like IV is looking for an excuse anyway:

Originally posted by 001F2A282F2F202C272D490 link=1313283017/1#1 date=1313286678
                Im seriously considering the 900 because of the extra warranty length
                FWIW my BES820 is going strong after 2 years, but that seems to be the uncertainty with appliances - some go forever, some dont even last the first 12 months :-?

Comment

You can always check the link below to determine whether you are protected.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/322947

As for Brevilles customer service, my experience has not been great but its the same with most places that employ inexperience people to deal with people and their problems, whether well founded or not. IMHO.

Comment

Hey its pretty simple, if you have proof of purchase & its within the warranty period, call our Customer Call Centre & theyll direct you to your nearest service centre for the assessment & repair to be carried out.

Cheers, Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil

to be clear, I dont think anyone doubted the response of Breville inside the warranty period, sorry if I implied that.

We were just wondering how Breville might respond for a (eg) 13month old machine that just died. I dont imagine one could answer that without actually talking to the Customer Call Centre.

Comment

Originally posted by 666E66616B6D0F0 link=1313283017/10#10 date=1313363615
                        We were just wondering how Breville might respond for a (eg) 13month old machine that just died.
                        Good question, you WOULD expect a coffee machine to last longer than 13 months and therefore be covered under the Statutory Warranty

Comment

I like to state for the record that although I have aired my opinion regarding Breville Customer Service, I am still purchasing the bes900 as the thread is after all about the product, not the personality behind it.

I do believe that Breville, like most companies, are not in the business of intentionally making life difficult for customers. Well, thats the rational I have given my better half when putting an order for the BES900.

As for Bazzas case, my understanding is that the BES820 should be covered by a 2-year warranty if purchased new. Hence, if he has a receipt of purchase he should not have too much problem getting his machine looked at.

Comment

Statutory Rights are interesting, but fuzzy!  Items purchased before 1 Jan 2011 come under the old "implied warranty" gobbledygook, and items purchased on or after come under a new national gobbledygook.  According to the ACCC:

Your statutory rights are not limited to a set time period – they do not just expire or run out. The length of time they apply for depends on what it would be reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the goods or services you bought.

For example, you would expect an expensive household appliance (such as fridge) to last longer than a smaller or cheaper appliance (such as a toaster).
                            Its debatable (undefined, you would have trouble pushing it) where an appliance style coffee machine sits, and whether our hypothetical 13 months is outside the "reasonable expectation" IF the implied warranty is 12 months...

I like the whooshing noise the On Topic boundary makes as we rush off it

Comment

Originally posted by 1E3F343433295A0 link=1313283017/2#2 date=1313288822
                              With the issue at hand, I think you should call Breville, and advise them of the issue. I guess it will mean it goes back to a service centre, but without your direct feedback it will be hard to rectify the situation.
                              This is what Bazza needs to do if he has not done so as yet.

As for the statutory warranty, I apologise for bringing it up, it has obviously caused for angst than good.

Comment

Working...
                              X