Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a new machine

Hey guys

I was looking for some opinions on a new coffee machine (and grinder) for home. I have had an EM6900 for about 4 years, and overall ive been happy with the performance. Its never let me down and still runs as well as the day it was bought. However, I am a total coffee snob (I think im in the right place) and the coffee it makes, whilest very drinkable is just not top shelf. Im not a trained barista and im sure some of the lack in performance is user error, but it seems like there is alot of variability in the taste of the shot, even when im using same (fresh, quality) beans, same grind settings, weighed dosing and getting a shot time of 25-30 seconds repeatably. Probably whats more upsetting is the lack of steam pressure in the milk, it always feels underpowered and you really need to tilt the milk jug to get the milk to spin at all (400ml jug). I use the sunbeam cafe grinder and maybe some of the symptoms come from that, id love to hear some opinions there.

Basically, im thinking id like to make an upgrade, with a budget of somewhere between 1200 and 1500. Im looking seriously at the new breville (hopefully with the smart grinder for about that price), but i guess im worried about that being more of a lateral move than an upgrade. Im definitely keeping an eye out in the classifieds for perhaps a well loved more expensive machine, but other than that, what machines should I be paying attention to?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jamie

Re: Choosing a new machine

There are a heap of threads around like this, and plenty of opinions to go with them.

In short, if you want to be able to steam and pull shot at the same time, and not step backwards, then rule out your small single boilers straight away (Silvia and Lelits).

In that kind of price range, and to not feel like youre moving backwards, in the new price range, you really only have two options:
    Nuovo Simonelli Oscar or the Breville Dual Boiler.

Both could be paired with the Breville Smart Grinder, and youd probably be happy - both these machines operate entirely differently, so if they interest you...start asking questions and reading up!

If you wanted to look into the second hand market, pretty much any machine you see on here that was ~$2500 new will often sell within your price range if its a few years old. Most of these machines will have parts readily available, and often you can get great bargains by biting the bullet and getting grinder/machine/tamper etc off one person who has upgraded. Giottos and the like are normally closer to the $2000 mark, but you can often get decent Expobars, Diademas etc for around the price bracket you are after which are under 2 years old.

Sometimes youll get people offloading their Mazzer/Compaks with machines regrettably because of space/spouse issues, and they can be very reasonably priced as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by 39323E3A362138530 link=1313991190/0#0 date=1313991190
      Hey guys

I was looking for some opinions on a new coffee machine (and grinder) for home. I have had an EM6900 for about 4 years, and overall ive been happy with the performance. Its never let me down and still runs as well as the day it was bought. However, I am a total coffee snob (I think im in the right place) and the coffee it makes, whilest very drinkable is just not top shelf. Im not a trained barista and im sure some of the lack in performance is user error, but it seems like there is alot of variability in the taste of the shot, even when im using same (fresh, quality) beans, same grind settings, weighed dosing and getting a shot time of 25-30 seconds repeatably. Probably whats more upsetting is the lack of steam pressure in the milk, it always feels underpowered and you really need to tilt the milk jug to get the milk to spin at all (400ml jug). I use the sunbeam cafe grinder and maybe some of the symptoms come from that, id love to hear some opinions there.

Basically, im thinking id like to make an upgrade, with a budget of somewhere between 1200 and 1500. Im looking seriously at the new breville (hopefully with the smart grinder for about that price), but i guess im worried about that being more of a lateral move than an upgrade. Im definitely keeping an eye out in the classifieds for perhaps a well loved more expensive machine, but other than that, what machines should I be paying attention to?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jamie
      If I read your requirements correctly, you need better consistency in flavour and more of it and better milk.

For coffee flavour go for a better grinder than the breville - for example the Compak K3 Touch. Then spend the rest on a machine that has good temperature stability (important for good flavour) and decent steam (required for silky milk). One combination that comes in under budget and ticks the boxes is the Lelit PL41TEM with PID (which we distribute) and the Compak K3 Touch.

If you also want to be able to do lots of milk coffees at a time, a single boiler machine may not be the best option as Richard has said, and you may have to re-evaluate your budget.

charlie

Comment

If you want a real step up, stay with the Sunbeam for a while and get a top shelf grinder. I bought a Mini Mazer to go with mine and it really made a whole world of difference to the cup. It cost me dearly in the end as I upgrated to the Giotto, but I am delighted that I took that path!

Coffee machines come and go, but a grinder is for life!

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Ive made this answer a couple of times recently so Im going to post a couple of links and hope you do a bit of background reading Feel free to come back with more questions!

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1311140571/8#8

and

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312692732/3#3

HTH

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information (and links). Im not likely to be making more than 1-2 coffees typically and maybe 4-5 max in a sitting so I dont think a single boiler would be too much of a problem. I think ill definitely be keeping an eye out for a second hand option (got my eyes on the VBM Junior but definitely out of my price range at the moment).

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

Just beware that a single boiler NON-HX might not seem like a step up (in terms of speed) due to the brew-steam-brew wait. A dual boiler (Breville included) would eliminate this time, but so would a single boiler HX (heat exchanger) like the Diadema, Giotto, etc.

Theres a big difference between the EM6900 and, say, a BES900, Lelit or Silvia with PID, and a big difference again to the Diadema and Giotto.

And you may be dissappointed with the Diadema if you dont also get a good grinder (K3T, M4D, etc) and good tamper (~$120) and good technique ($?!). Youll also need a water filter for any boiler machine, the type will vary depending on your local water quality...

Sounds like fun doesnt it?!

Comment

Working...
              X