No announcement yet.

Should I PID my under warranty Silvia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I PID my under warranty Silvia ?

Hi all ! Long time lurker first time poster.

I recently purchased a new Silvia and was thinking of putting a Auber PID on on it. I am aware that it voids the warranty.
    What I want to know is, is the PID removable if something goes wrong and I want to send the Silvia in for possible under warranty repair ? Would you recommend doing this ?
    Could the supplier tell it has been messed with ?

Cheers

Re: Should I PID my under warranty Silvia ?

Depending on how you mount the pid. From memory the wiring harness uses piggyback spade connectors so it is reversible.

As for warranty that one is a slippery slope, if your modifications did not contribute to the warranty claim i.e your steam knob cracks which clearly had nothing to do with the pid then it would be covered.

But as you said, you know that it will void your warranty so as for trying to remove it to claim warranty for something that has most likely been caused by the pid well that is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 193E3E3522073523241235313E3935500 link=1314241877/0#0 date=1314241877
      What I want to know is, is the PID removable if something goes wrong and I want to send the Silvia in for possible under warranty repair ? Would you recommend doing this ?
      Like if you cross wire something and short the machine or kill something?  :-? I really dont think you should expect a warranty to cover dishonesty. As barrel suggested, I think it would be fine for anything not touched by 240V.

Comment

The questions you need to ask are:

With what sort of regularity are Silvias returned fro warranty work?
        What sort of warranty work is the most common?

If the answers to those two questions have nothing to do with the electrickery sides of Silvia then install the PID. If the answer is something like, circuit boards die, elements burn out or similar then wait till your Silvia is out of warranty.

I dont think youll have any need of the Silvias warranty but you could be very unlucky. Stuffing something up and killing Silvia yourself is another issue

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice. 
          Just to clarify I was not meaning if I did something wrong while installing the pid. I was meaning after installing the pid if something went wrong with the machine down the track could I remove pid to send the machine in to get looked at.

trentski that is a good point so.....
          With what sort of regularity are Silvias returned fro warranty work?
          What sort of warranty work is the most common?

Comment

Hi InnerWest,

For what it is worth I PID my Silvia, see http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1313663305

and it made a huge difference to the operation of the machine.

That said I had the same concerns as you when I did it to mine. That said there are those that suggest it will prolong the life of the machine as the heating profile on idle is much lower idling at the correct brew temp rather than the huge swings on a standard Silvia.

Comment

Having installed a PID into a Silvia I find that the machine itself is very very simple. I can not see anything electrical going wrong. Even if it did then it would be quite easy to fix yourself.

If something does go wrong after youve installed it, the PID is a piggy back device and leaves all the original wires and connectors completely stock/factory. So it is very easy to remove and no one would even know that a PID was installed.

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice Mr Derrick & InTheCup. I have now got all the answers I need now to make my decision

Ordering my PID now. Cant wait.

Comment

Working...
                X