• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPV Discussion Thread

Originally posted by 5D5E5C573F0 link=1312978609/143#143 date=1314255334
    Dennis wrote Today at 13:40:
    bach wrote Today at 13:19:
    To get a nice pour my pressure is always 12+ and it only goes down if I underdose and it flows way to fast (20s).

So, are you saying that no matter what grind setting you use, that the above is the outcome?

No. Of course grind will change the flow.

What Im saying is, that no matter what I do (grind/dose) I always end up with a pressure of 12+ when getting a nice pour..
    OK.  I hope you understand how your original statement, might have led me to believe otherwise.  What does the gauge read when using the rubber blind filter only?

Again folks: I have a $14000 Linea whose gauge reads 12 bar though Scace reads 9.

I have a cracker of a suggestion!

Read the entire section below, before getting upset with me....

Everyone who has concerns about the gauge readings, would you please cut out a piece of cardboard the same circumference as the gauge, mark an arrow on it pointing to the number 9, then blue tack it onto your gauge.

When you have done that, make your extractions by watching for colour and flow.  Make adjustments to dose and grind to obtain the correct extraction.  Can you do this without referring to the gauge?  Does it taste right?

If your answer is, yes and you can repeat the results 5 times consecutively, then you may now remove the cardboard from the gauge.  Not that it matters, but tell us what it reads.

If your answer is, no then sorry, but the most likely reason is that you are at fault, or, that it is a problem with the coffee you are using (poorly roasted or stale), the grind setting or grinder itself, or the machine.  The last two of these are the least likely culprits.

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Originally posted by 5B7F7B7F607F60100 link=1312978609/144#144 date=1314256885
    Not sure whether our Breville guru has already mentioned it but theres a few more videos on youtube with tips on grinds, dosing, tamping and texturing milk.
    OK...now I really really want one...and that grinder looks the shizza... maybe for xmas

Comment

I think its hard to mount an argument against what Dennis has pointed out. It probably similar to photography, dont blame the equipment for the poor photo, blame the person taking the shot first.

But a problem will remain so if it is not air for assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A0E0A0E110E11610 link=1312978609/147#147 date=1314259727
        Translation please Koko?

I tried Bablefish, but got nowhere...

Comment

Try http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Comment

I understand the point being made regarding taste in the cup and the accuracy of guages

Originally posted by 50717A7A7D67140 link=1312978609/145#145 date=1314258004
            $14000 Linea whose gauge reads 12 bar though Scace reads 9
            But Dennis what is the case with these?

I understand you and chris where bench testing them before sending them out what was the SCACE reading on them?

As the only SCACE I have seen on a BES900 is on brevilles own youTube channel and it clearly shows the machines gauge showing 9 bar.

This machine is marketed at people who want to know the variables, shot clock, user programable temp and pre-infusion etc.

Its not a surprise we are alarmed by a gauge reading way above what breville tell us is the ideal pressure

"The Dual Boiler also features an Over Pressure Valve, which comes standard on almost all commercial cafe machines. This commercial feature limits the maximum pressure throughout the extraction to 9 bar, preventing bitter flavors in the shot"http://www.breville.com.au/the-dual-boiler.html

Or do you suggest we cut a bit of cardboard out with 93 C and 30 seconds on and cover the LCD with that as well

Comment

PS. I am loving my BES900, and will recommend it to anyone whether they ask me or not

Comment

Originally posted by 23356926692D69372E242C22352E2920470 link=1312978609/150#150 date=1314267303
                But Dennis what is the case with these?
                The Breville has a proprietory group Doc and as far as I know, the only people in possession of a Scace 2 to suit it are Phil and his team. If youd like to shell out the $500+, I am sure Den will be happy to give you the definitive answers in exchange for ownership of it.

Both businesses opened, fired up and checked the machines to see that they were not faulty and believe me that is a whole heap more than any major is doing on their machines. A full Scace test is currently beyond the capability of any reseller and is not something you would normally get for free. It takes time.

Chris

Comment

Now leaving aside that pressure is probably the least important variable and good shots are possible with a big range of pressure

Do those who have sold these really believe that the OPV is correctly set on all the BES900s in the wild?

Comment

Originally posted by 7D6B377837733769707A727C6B70777E190 link=1312978609/153#153 date=1314270223
                    Now leaving aside that pressure is probably the least important variable and good shots are possible with a big range of pressure

Do those who have sold these really believe that the OPV is correctly set on all the BES900s in the wild?
                    Doc, as one of the resellers, my experience tells me that it is far easier to believe that all of the OPVs have been set correctly, than it is to believe that all of the concerns raised are actually related to the functionality of the machine.

Did you hear the customer complaint about the machine where it turned out that the customer was using store bought pre ground? :

Comment

Originally posted by 725358585F45360 link=1312978609/154#154 date=1314273530
                      Doc, as one of the resellers, my experience tells me that it is far easier to believe that all of the OPVs have been set correctly, than it is to believe that all of the concerns raised are actually related to the functionality of the machine.
                      Not what I asked

Comment

Originally posted by 06272C2C2B31420 link=1312978609/154#154 date=1314273530
                        Did you hear the customer complaint about the machine where it turned out that the customer was using store bought pre ground?
                        Is that a bad idea ;D, I assumed that the magic pressurised baskets freshened up those stale grounds.

I better return all that "espresso ground" victoria coffee

Comment

Originally posted by 1C292423170B272E2E2D2D480 link=1312978609/148#148 date=1314260384
                          KokoPop wrote Today at 6:08pm:

Translation please Koko?

I tried Bablefish, but got nowhere...

Forgive my dribble. Its an uncontrollable urge I have sometimes to sound intelligent.

Anyway, all I really wanted to point out is that if Bach/ED did not raise their concerns about the BDB, we will all be none the wiser. IMHO.

Fingers crossed that my BDB will arrive tomorrow so that I can get a first hand experience on the machine.

Comment

Well its a little bit sad that you are not allowed to adjust the OPV. Surely anyone would be happier if they were able to adjust the OPV so that it reads 9 bars on the gauge when they are pouring their perfect shot, if they so wanted to.

Comment

I dont think its that simple, adjusting the OPV is inside the machine and you would be exposing yourself to the wires inside, when I adjusted the OPV on my silvia, I turned the machine off at the power and unplugged it before making a turn with the wrench just to be on the safe side. I dont think breville would want you doing this and they didnt design the machine to be played with in that manner.

Also if you adjusted the OPV to just get 9 bar on the gauge you would find you are probably getting a lot less than that at the group and the shots would be shit, ignore the gauge and focus on the taste. My shots are tasting great and the gauge is at 11.5, my taste buds couldnt give a crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X