Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i want to buy a coffee machine but am baffled by so many....help i am a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to buy a coffee machine but am baffled by so many....help i am a beginner

can anyone help me i love coffee especially latte and i like a hot coffee, can anyone suggest a good machine/website to buy from, thanks

Re: i want to buy a coffee machine but am baffled by so many....help i am a beginner

Youll need to give more parameters.
    Where are you located?
    What is your budget?
    How many do you want to make at once?
    How many per day?
    Do you plan to buy good quality beans and grind them yourself?
    What sort of machine do you feel comfortable with?
    Have you tried any in the flesh?

And so on...

Comment

Re: i want to buy a coffee machine but am baffled by so many....help i am a beginner

Gaggia classic is a good machine to start on..

Comment

Originally posted by 3C292938357D7D7B4C0 link=1314449586/2#2 date=1314513310
        Gaggia classic is a good machine to start on..
        Or we could just give you random opinions....
        Buy a Slayer and a Super Jolly, thatll do you!

Comment

Originally posted by 2D2A3F292432147A7272724B0 link=1314449586/3#3 date=1314515851
          Or we could just give you random opinions....
          Buy a Slayer and a Super Jolly, thatll do you!
          Nah, a La Marzocco Linea with a spong number 2 will be a much better option.

Comment

i have never had a machine, i live in Perth WA, and i plan to have approx 4-6 coffees a day, not sure what grinder to buy but have scoured the net on reviews for machines and am toying with the idea of gaggia classic with mdf grinder, do you think this is a good combination? Also where would i buy decent beans, i like strong coffee. Thanks for previous answers to my post.

Comment

Are you wanting to make milk based drinks?
              The classic is a good starting machine but can only do the milk side of things at a certain pace.

I personally think you can get a better grinder than the MDF for around the same price or even cheaper. I would consider a Breville Smart grinder ahead of an MDF.

As for where to buy beans - Ill let someone else field that as I roast my own.

Comment

I have just upgraded from a classic and smart grinder combo.

With some diligence good coffee can be had, lots is said about the milk but if you dont drown the coffee in milk should be no issue but would change the steam arm to the silva arm.

The question really is how close you intend to drink the coffees as the gaggia has a powerful element for a little boiler so heats up quick between shot and milk (mine I would temp surf at 13 secs after activating steam switch) but takes an age to cool back to an appropriate temp for brewing again

On the grinder from what I have seen of the MDF, it is heavy machine that isnt up to job of grinding with out mods and has a doser which for 6 shots a day is inappropriate IMHO

The smart grinder is considered the best sub $300 grinder and full of helpful features.

Comment

Originally posted by 40475244495F79171F1F1F260 link=1314449586/1#1 date=1314450662
                  What is your budget?
                  • $700 would get you a Sunbeam combo - great entry level but many quirks, including reliability.
                  • $1000 would get you some nicer machines, still with their own quirks but designed to be repaired, not discarded. And they can be "modified" if you want to improve them. Some have grinders built-in, some dont.
                  • $1500 would get you a Breville combo that people love and hate but does almost everything right for you
                  • $2500 would get you a nice Italian semi-commercial machine that is seriously designed at perfecting all the factors that go into a perfect shot
                  • $3000+ would get you a lot of envy from people here...

I guess from the Gaggia youre looking at under $1000?

Get the best grinder you can afford and the machine comes second. Youll probably need a tamper too. Make sure it fits - never trust the basket size.

Even the cheapest above can make coffee better than an average cafe if you know what youre doing!

Beans must be fresh - roasted less than a few weeks ago by someone who knows what theyre doing. Start with a sponsor and if you find someone local compare to that.

hope that generates the right sort of questions

Comment

Depends were you are located near Perth but for north of the river I would suggest Dimattina Coffee and for south of the river i would suggest Essence of Coffee for great freshly roasted beans.

Comment

Why not contact some CS site sponsors ( over the left) and discuss your coffee requirements and budget with them.

Espresso Italia are located in North Perth. :

Comment

Espresso Italia and Dimattina comes to mind.
                        Good professional advice is important, and those guys will guide you proper.

Plus they are both roasters too, and they can suggest the best coffee beans for your needs.

Gary at G

Comment

Working...
                        X