Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europiccola help - Western Sydney

Hi guys and gals.

just bought a 2nd hand unit with PULLMAN tamp(both in good nic) from the bay of "E" I have been playing with it for a week or so, only getting to pull about 2-3 shots before rushing out for kids/work/wife. Long story short, im not really getting anywhere. Is there anyone in the west (Penrith) hopefully that is willing to lend a hand in dialling in? I can come to you, or vice versa.

Thanks in advance

Re: Europiccola help - Western Sydney

What grinder are you using, and where are you buying your beans from?

By not getting anywhere do you mean the coffee tastes bitter, sour, theres not enough crema, other???

Comment

Sorry 1000+ km drive but otherwise happy to help :-)

Couple of things to kick you off. Bleed the false pressure at 5 or 6 minutes by cracking the steam valve. Make your first coffee at about 14-16 minutes (varies between models and taste). This machine is not really designed to leave on or pull more than 2 or 3 shots in a row as it tends to overheat and burn the shots.

Grind, fresh beans as mentioned are vital. Lots more to play with but start there and let us know if it is a 49 or 51mm group? 

Comment

what he said. it takes a while to get it right.
        a few 1/2 pumps to heat the group head works wonders
        this video helped me a bit
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eec7n-Owuok

Comment

Whatever you do, dont take active measures to heat the group head on this machine as mentioned above. To think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of this machine.

The grouphead is a heatsink to pull off heat from the boiling water coming from the boiler before it extracts through the coffee. The reason you can only pull around two shots on this machine is the grouphead gets too hot after that. So dont go actively preheating it and getting a burnt first shot.
          Ill try to post some helpful tips later.

Comment

interesting that the manual says to do it.

Comment

They also include an undersized cruddy plastic tamper too which certainly isnt correct either

With my single group in the mornings to speed things along for a caffeine hit I do ocasionally do this but I am trying to get 6 or 7kg of brass up to temp. and this machine is very stable once there.

If you are really in a hurry you could pull a few shots through the head but to try and get to a point of repeatability on the temperature front best bet is go with time.

Comment

Ill play around with it. It is the middle of winter and cold first thing though and I dont like luke warm coffee. Ive been giving it a pump after I let out the pressure then wait a while before I make the coffee. Then I run a shot to warm the glass. Only make one.

Comment

ok,

-51mm group (going to NAKED it to look for better results) and FLAT bottom pullman tamp
                  -Isomac Granmacininio.... modded for finer grind (grub screw removed)
                  -Mocopan Allegria bean (current employer)

I have gone from too easy to pull, and obviously under extracted to fully choked. espresso grind with hard tamp, to finer and lighter. I dont preheat group, as I understand the design. I work in coffee, and get a good result from anything else, even the OTTO I used to own (past tense as I dont have a gas stove anymore)

I am genarally getting an "almost" acceptable taste, but minute to no crema. milk is great, love the speed for texturing. its not doing my head in, I just am not used to taking this long to get the hang of it.

Comment

Best results for me have been with a fine grind, higher dose, couple of taps to distribute and a very light tamp (1-2kg). The light tamp method took me a while to get the hang of but it was worth it.

Crema wise the Pav of all my levers gives the least so it possibly isnt a technique issue.

Keep playing

Comment

despite doing it wrong I get a lot of crema and with freshly roasted beans its nearly all crema. maybe try with some fresh beans?

Comment

I can second Beans method- but a coarser grinder and very hard tamp also works. Like any espresso machine the approach is essentially a Buddhist one: you must travel the Middle Road. You need to find the sweet spot between choking the machine and a gushing pour. It is easiest to start out very fine (near choking) and work you way back a notch. You should never have to apply so much force to the lever that it feels like the machine is under stress. The action should be kind of like cutting firm butter.

Pavoni seems to also be very sensative to changes in Bean- more so than other levers.

In fact the manual Pavoni lever is kind of like a finely tuned racing bicycle- or a set of pro blade golf clubs. It requires a precise action and sound practice to achieve the full potential of the equipment. But like a good set of blades when you hit the shot just right: it is super sweet!

The real difficulty is the second shot. Virtually impossible to repeat two shots on the Pavonis as the temperature is all over the place. In general it tends towards too hot (and burnt espresso, with dark thn crema)- you can cool the group with a damp teatowel- and cool the PF in cold water. You can also turn the machine off and on to surf the temperature wave. If you are making two shots turn the machine off as you prepare the second one and then back on when you are ready.

there is a great thread on home barista about someone who has pidded a Pavoni (with consummate skill). He claims vast improvements in the machines functionality.
                        http://<br /> http://www.home-barist...ow-t17073.html

Adding a pressure gauge (if you dont have one already) is also a very good idea as it make temp surfing easier (temp and pressure are directly related in the Pavoni).

Comment

Out of interest which Europiccola do you have? Millenium or pre millenium? The Millenium had changes to stabilise the grouphead temperature. I have the Millenium.

Comment

Originally posted by 445F555E574452695B695E360 link=1314655461/12#12 date=1314943451
                            Out of interest which Europiccola do you have? Millenium or pre millenium? The Millenium had changes to stabilise the  grouphead temperature. I have the Millenium.
                            The 51mm is the Millenium group which I have too.

Originally posted by 455944445358425F5857555950505353360 link=1314655461/11#11 date=1314939610
                            Virtually impossible to repeat two shots on the Pavonis as the temperature is all over the place.
                            To help the second shots I turn off straight after steaming while I get the next shot ready and leave the PF out. Not sure if its perfect but I reckon it helps.

The PID thing for me is nuts just buy a thermo stable lever is a better option

Comment

just bought some FRESH roasted beans (about 5 days out now) will geive them another day or two in the bag and retry...

Comment

Working...
                              X