Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Please - Are any of these any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please - Are any of these any good?

We thought we had it all worked out and ordered a nice looking machine, only to be informed weeks later it was unavailable. :-[

We are attempting to buy using Altitude Points from Westpac.  We already have a Breville grinder so want a matching coffee maker.

We have enough points for any of the following choices but from what I can research none are really worth having, but opinions to the contrary very much appreciated:

* Breville Professional 800 Expresso machine

* Delonghi Nespresso Essenza Coffee Machine in Silver

* Sunbeam Artistra Pump Expresso Machine

* Sunbeam Cafe Crema Espresso Machine

The one we are bypassing are:
    * Delongfhi Nespresso Citiz & Milk in siver - it uses capsules
    * Breville BES860 - also grinds
    * Delongi Nespresso Lattissima Coffee Machine - bad owner reviews
    * Delongi Magnifica Fully Automatic Coffee Machine - includes a grinder
    * Jura Impressa C9 - has a grinder + not really for small domestic use

So, assuming we are correct in bypassing all the above listed machines, which one around the $600 mark would you recommend? :

TIA

John (an utter amateur at all this )

Re: Advice Please - Are any of these any good?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sunbeam EM6910, with a little practice you can pull a great espresso and make cappucinos for that range of machines.

Comment

Originally posted by 59424B5A4F5942434C5E4F582A0 link=1315528928/1#1 date=1315530673
      There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sunbeam EM6910, with a little practice you can pull a great espresso and make cappucinos for that range of machines.

Thanks for responding.  I gather this is a much more advanced machine than the Sunbeam Artista Pump Expresso Machine available on the Westpac site?

Comment

Originally posted by 6B5E626E746D726E6F41636866716E6F65010 link=1315528928/0#0 date=1315528928
        We already have a Breville grinder so want a matching coffee maker.
        which Breville grinder? If its the BCG450 or worse, I would recommend getting a different one (either the sunbeam 0480 (I think) with a matching machine, or Breville smart grinder would be even better). I have the BCG450 and Ive modified it to go finer, but its not much good since the output is inconsistent (particle size range is too large for any specific grind setting). It gets worse as you grind coarser, since the top bur wobbles about.

* Breville BES860 - also grinds
        not a bad one, especially if you need a grinder based on what I just said

* Jura Impressa C9 - has a grinder
        completely different type of machine - this is a super auto. Very good build quality from Jura, and makes a good cup - not as "tweakable" as a manual machine.

+ not really for small domestic use
        then dont look in my kitchen, or half the other snobs here either

hope that helps a bit - remember the grinder - its important And what type of coffee do you actually like? How often do you drink it?

Comment

TD yes it is, my parents have the EM5900, I have the EM6910, I prefer it and it also gives me the ability to change the temps across the board and also steam and get my shot at the same time.

As with what iain has said with the grinder, hopefully you are talking about the Breville smart grinder. I have the EM0480 that came with the EM6910 and it does a pretty good job now that Ive got the hang of it.

In saying the above I also use a manual No.1 Spong and it does a great job too

Comment

Originally posted by 685D616D776E716D6C42606B65726D6C66020 link=1315528928/0#0 date=1315528928
            Delonghi Nespresso Essenza Coffee Machine in Silver
            also a capsule machine

Comment

The BES900 is on the wetpatch site

may be more than you have though, but is less than the jura and is the only real machine there

But unless the grinder you have is the BCG800 Smart Grinder you will also need an upgarde

Comment

Yes it is a Breville BSG800.

The situation is a catch 22. I can see how the Jura Impressa C9 might be the best but if that was purchased I guess Id have to sell the brand new unused Breville BSG800.

It is catch 22 because we do not have enough points to cover it so would have to chip in another $682. But I guess that is relatively cheap as we see nothing else we want to use points on. A sunbeam would cost as much and maybe not be nearly as good. I see HN sell the C9 for $2195 so we would be getting it for 1/3 full price.

So your advice would be to Sell the Breville & get the Jura C9?

TIA

John

Originally posted by 6E78246B2460247A6369616F7863646D0A0 link=1315528928/6#6 date=1315547197
                The BES900 is on the wetpatch site

may be more than you have though, but is less than the jura and is the only real machine there

But unless the grinder you have is the BCG800 Smart Grinder you will also need an upgarde
                Originally posted by 59424B5A4F5942434C5E4F582A0 link=1315528928/1#1 date=1315530673

Thanks for responding. I gather this is a much more advanced machine than the Sunbeam Artista Pump Expresso Machine available on the Westpac site?

Comment

Originally posted by 3D083438223B24383917353E3027383933570 link=1315528928/7#7 date=1315560380

I think Espresso Docs advice was actually that the Breville BES900 is the only real machine there.

That would be my advice too. And pairs up nicely with the grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 77427E7268716E72735D7F747A6D7273791D0 link=1315528928/0#0 date=1315528928
                    which one around the $600 mark would you recommend?
                    Keep the BCG800, out of the $600 machines you listed, I would not choose any. I would drop $600 cash on an EM6910 or even $400 from the factory outlet. If you want to use your points and add cash thats a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by 78495E4746414A4751280 link=1315528928/8#8 date=1315562145
                      Originally posted by 3D083438223B24383917353E3027383933570 link=1315528928/7#7 date=1315560380

I think Espresso Docs advice was actually that the Breville BES900 is the only real machine there.

That would be my advice too. And pairs up nicely with the grinder.
                      BES900boy (Neé Pavoniboy) is 100% correct

The only machine I would recommend on the Wetpatch site is the "Breville BES900 dual boiler espresso machine" which will go very well with your grinder

The observant among you will have noted that my avatar is in fact that very set up.

if you have to buy a superauto then the Juras are about as good as they get (not very IMHO)

Comment

Made a decision - the Breville BES900

Choosing a coffee maker can be a nightmare decision with so many units available with pros & cons to them all.  :-/

Our previous choice was a BUGATTI DIVA COFFEE MACHINE but then, after many weeks waiting,  the ALTITUDE points section of Wespac said they could not supply one after all.   > Looks like they did us a favour because I just discovered the Breville BES900 & I can redeem points to cover all but $7.

So, we will end up with the Breville BCG800 grinder & a Breville BES900 for a cash outlay of $7!!  Mind you it has stripped the 2 main accounts of any more buyer points to redeem but what better area to use them for but quality coffee making!

IMPORTANT QUESTION:  HN offer an extra 3 year on the guarantee (making 5 instead of 2) for $189.95.  Not sure it would be good value as the machines here will have limited use + the BES900 appears to have been well built in the first place.
                        Your opinion?

TIA for everyone who answered.  You really did help me focus on what to think about.

John

Mod Edit: Non sponsor plug removed.

Comment

Am not 100% sure I understand what you are asking, possibly due to mod edits, but if you are asking if you should spend $189.95 to insure your $7 machine against failures in years 3-5, I dont think the numbers stack up. Nobody yet knows just how reliable these machines are, but it would be very unusual for there to be many warrantable failures in years 3-5 that cost that kind of money to fix. Obviously there is some risk, but not great, IMHO.

Comment

have you seen what the ACCC have to say about extended warranties,

its a way to make money not save money, pay it if you fancy the salesman

Comment

Thanks for the replies.  You have confirmed what I thought so there will be no extra $ wasted on guarantees, unlikely to be used.  From my experience, problems arise early in the life of items anyway so are covered by the normal warranty - 2 years in this case.

Mind you, this is not rubbishing warranties and I know that is not what anyone is saying.  Ive just had a meltdown of an SSD "C" drive on the main PC here and its replacement is covered under guarantee.  Unfortunately another drive died a few days before this one so the backup is gone.  Ill need a few cups of coffee to help me through a complete reinstallation.

John (anticipating another learning curve ahead)

Comment

Working...
                              X