Guarantees & extended Guarantees on Coffee Machines - especially Breville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantees & extended Guarantees on Coffee Machines - especially Breville

This topic arose in another thread but I thought it important enough to give its own airing.  :-X

Looking at the Breville site on the net the factory guarantees on their various items vary quite a lot.  We are in the process of purchasing a BES900 and its guarantee is  not listed yet.  A phone call to Breville reveals the factory guarantee is only for 1 year. :-/  However the store I am buying from (which I see I cannot mention) does give a store 2 year guarantee 8-) and offers a 3 year extended warranty for a further $190 (although we might be able to bargain that down a bit).

Advice in the other thread re extended warranty was a big thumbs down from a couple of posters BUT a big thumbs up from another who had used extended warranty on quite a few items and recommended it be used.

My initial reaction was no, not worth it, BUT looking more closely at the BES900 we see it is quite a complicated computer controlled unit, meaning that apart from mechanical parts to be problematic, there are electronics involved.  And most of us are aware of the problems with computers (our PC here just died last week >).  Against that, to be fair, the electronics involved in the BES900 is much more straightforward and simpler than in a PC so the comparison is invalid.

From what I read the BES900 is a carefully designed and tested machine so can be expected to be reliable with any problems occurring in the first year .  But then, nothing is perfect and the BES900 is too new to have a track record yet.  So, despite the negatives, Im seriously considering taking out the extended warranty later this week when I go in to pay for and collect the new toy.

Your comment?

John

Re: Guarantees & extended Guarantees on Coffee Machines - especially Breville

Hello TD,

In the box, you will find a 2 year repair guarantee.

Your bloke was wrong

Comment

I usually pay for extended warranty for new appliances and electronics. Ive never had to make a claim for things such as the fridge, washing machine, television etc - but its good knowing Im covered in case something breaks.

3 years extended warranty for another $190 isnt too bad. Thats a total of 5 years warranty which is very good coverage. That works out to be about $40 a month - its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Just make sure you read on the terms and conditions so that you are clear of your obligations. Im sure there are clauses in there that define care procedures and a dealer service etc.

Comment

The problem is always going to be that consumer guarantees are a matter of interpretation, and likely to involve a *lot* of negotiation and mediation, possibly between the buyer, the local fair trading office and the retailer.

If you wander into your local electronics superstore in, say, 4-years time with a busted BES900, I absolutely guarantee you that they are not just going to give you a replacement equivalent coffee machine with minimal grief. The new Australian Consumer Law, in this hypothetical situation, provides that a "reasonable consumer" would expect more than 4-years worth of use from a $1500 coffee machine.

For the record ive never purchased an extended warranty, and ive "successfully" received remedy from a local electronics superstore (*cough* Gerrys wife *cough*) for a reasonably high-ticket item ($2000) that stopped working about six-months past the manufacturers warranty. But this took a ridiculous amount of time and involved letters and correspondence with the local fair trading office, numerous visits to the store to meet with the manager who missed the appointment(s) countless times etc etc. All up, it took about six months to remedy the situation, and the whole experience was mentally draining and extremely uncomfortable.

So, if you feel more comfortable spending $190 to get five-years worth of piece-of-mind, knowing that if a problem crops up itll likely be resolved quickly and painlessly, then its probably not a bad spend of $190.

I see the difference between taking an extended warranty and not taking one as:

"Easy remedy of broken machine" vs "Difficult remedy of broken machine".

Rather than:

"Remedy of broken machine" vs "No remedy of broken machine"

Which is what a lot of people see.

Comment

The breville is stress tested to 10000 shots (See Phils correction). I think the average consumer can expect it to work happily for at least 5 years, with proper care and maintanence.

Comment

My credit card offers an extra years warranty that has served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by 4C5E5257565857535A463F0 link=1315783949/3#3 date=1315787238
              and likely to involve a *lot* of negotiation and mediation
              not in my experience, but as I stated in the other thread I may be the odd one out, and Ive only claimed on devices that cost $600, not $1500.

Originally posted by 4C5E5257565857535A463F0 link=1315783949/3#3 date=1315787238
              I absolutely guarantee you that they are not just going to give you a replacement equivalent coffee machine with minimal grief.
              so far for my 820 (~$600 at time of purchase) I just rang up, got a return address, postage paid, and Im about to send it. Cant get much simpler than that. For my ~$200 microwave, I just walked in and walked out with a brand new one (I even kept the old one which still heated, just had a busted LCD!)

Just make sure the $190 is for an EXTRA 3 years, not UP TO 3 years.

Originally posted by 4E4A565C54535651583F0 link=1315783949/4#4 date=1315789677
              The breville is stress tested to 10000 shots
              this is really great of Breville, but theres still a difference between 3 - 5 years of component wear, rust, displacement, vibration, etc. that a bench test cant reproduce. Some electronic failures wont be influenced by 10000 or 10 shots.

Again, this is my humble opinion as consumer and industrial programmer Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 686C707A727570777E190 link=1315783949/4#4 date=1315789677
                The breville is stress tested to 10000 shots
                The build & components have been tested to withstand a minimum of 14,600 operations during our "life" testing.

Cheers, Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 616961666C6A080 link=1315783949/6#6 date=1315803939
                  and likely to involve a *lot* of negotiation and mediation
                  not in my experience, but as I stated in the other thread I may be the odd one out, and Ive only claimed on devices that cost $600, not $1500.
                  Are you referring to claims under an extended warranty, or a consumer guarantee under the new Australian Consumer Law?

I was referring to the hypothetical situation of attempting to remedy a problem under the new Australian Consumer Law.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E4C4045444A454148542D0 link=1315783949/8#8 date=1315810219
                    Are you referring to claims under an extended warranty, or a consumer guarantee under the new Australian Consumer Law?

I was referring to the hypothetical situation of attempting to remedy a problem under the new Australian Consumer Law.
                    ah, sorry, I re-read your post and now I get what youre talking about! Yes I was referring to extended warranty claims, which, for me, have been black-and-white warranty issues. The new consumer guarantee is another story...

Originally posted by 5E4C4045444A454148542D0 link=1315783949/3#3 date=1315787238
                    If you wander into your local electronics superstore in, say, 4-years time with a busted BES900, I absolutely guarantee you that they are not just going to give you a replacement equivalent coffee machine with minimal grief. The new Australian Consumer Law, in this hypothetical situation, provides that a "reasonable consumer" would expect more than 4-years worth of use from a $1500 coffee machine..
                    Now interpreting it the way you meant it - yes, without an extended warranty, you would reasonably expect such a machine to last more than 2 years, but good luck trying to get anything out of the retailer, unless you get the 1-in-a-1000 manager who knows what his buying power can do and pushes the supplier for results.

... But this took a ridiculous amount of time and involved...
                    sounds like they were trying to make you give up. Who seriously keeps a photocopy of a heat-sensitive fast-fading ink receipt and all the associated paperwork to claim on even the legit 5 year warranties... apart from me? Part of the business case behind extended warranties is that many people will forget they even have one.

Comment

Working...
                    X