Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES900 Seal Problem?

Hey everyone,

Ive been loving my Breville BES900 for over 2 weeks now, but the other day I started to notice something that worries me a little.

I was peacefully pulling my shot while I started steaming the milk on the side when suddenly the portafilter fell out. Gave me the biggest fright! (And broke one of my espresso cups )

Well I assumed that I just hadnt locked it in properly. The next shot I pulled I made sure that it was locked in properly (I pulled it past the 90 degrees lock). This time I could visibly see the portafilter slowly moving to the left after full pressure was applied. I caught it and made sure it didnt fall out again.

Anyone experienced something similar? Im now always paranoid that itll fall out again.

Could it be a faulty seal? Any ideas what to do about this?

Cheers,
    Bach

Re: Breville BES900 Seal Problem?

Mine fell out the other day - pretty sure id dint lock it in properly. Hasnt happened since, but will keep an eye out...

Comment

Hi Bach

Had you used any espresso detergent to clean it recenlty?? That residue can be pretty hard to remove entirely & its really slippery stuff.

Cheers, Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 39373F3A3D333C2024540 link=1315787249/2#2 date=1315791363
        Hi Bach

Had you used any espresso detergent to clean it recenlty?? That residue can be pretty hard to remove entirely & its really slippery stuff.

Cheers, Phil
        No I havent yet. Just bought it a bit over 2 weeks ago and havent used any cleaning tablets yet.

Cheers,
        Bach

Comment

Hey everyone,

Just thought itd bring this topic back up since Im still having this problem. Ive also read in the other thread of a few people that have had this happening.

Currently I gotta hold on to the pf in order for it to not pop out during extraction.

Should I call Breville regarding this? Or anyone been able to solve this?

Cheers,
          Bach

Comment

Hi everyone,

This issue seems to be common for many Breville BES900 new users. It is happened on my unit at the third time of pulling a shot and then happened at least another twice in two days.
            Possible causes are
            1. You over-dose the PF too much so that the pressure inside the group head is too high.
            2. Your units OPV may be set too high (such as over 12 bar during the extraction). This high OPV should come with the over-dosing to make the PF popping off easily.
            3. The friction force between the silicon seal of the group head and the rim of the FP is too slippery. Residue on the rim of PF can be another cause of slippery. If this is the cause, the issue should be gone after several times of uses.

Thanks

Nick OY

Comment

Mine has popped out three times in many brews. It once broke a glass coffee cup.

My OPV leads to a pressure reading up to about 12 on the gauge. I must get Beville to adjust it one of these days.

Using a Bogav tamper I was tending to overdose as the silver line on the Bogav Is lower down the head than on the original Breville tamper and leads to an overdose.

Now that I close the handle past 6 o’clock it hasn’t popped out for a long while.

I also lower the pressure to 9 while brewing by opening the hot water valve just a little.

Barry

Comment

Yup my OPV is past the 12 mark as well.

Ill give Breville a call and hopefully this can be resolved asap.

Cheers guys,
                Bach

Comment

Just curious to see if anyone’s been able to successfully prevent the portafilter from falling out.

This is becoming a bit more regular on my machine. I changed the seal on mine and it was sweet for about 2 days, but it looks like the problem is coming back.

What’s interesting is that there was a period of time where on some days, it would remain locked, and on some days, it would unlock itself (and it’s got nothing to do with backflushing detergent – I rinse the seal with warm water afterwards).
                  Sometimes there was resistance between the seal and portafilter when it was locked in at 6pm and on other occasions, the portafilter would lock in all the way to the right; it would slide all the way to right (3 or 4pm) without any increase in resistance from 6pm.

So I'm just wondering, is there a fix for this? Did you guys take it back to Breville, and was there a good outcome?

Comment

Originally posted by specialpants View Post
                    Just curious to see if anyone’s been able to successfully prevent the portafilter from falling out.

This is becoming a bit more regular on my machine. I changed the seal on mine and it was sweet for about 2 days, but it looks like the problem is coming back.

What’s interesting is that there was a period of time where on some days, it would remain locked, and on some days, it would unlock itself (and it’s got nothing to do with backflushing detergent – I rinse the seal with warm water afterwards).
                    Sometimes there was resistance between the seal and portafilter when it was locked in at 6pm and on other occasions, the portafilter would lock in all the way to the right; it would slide all the way to right (3 or 4pm) without any increase in resistance from 6pm.

So I'm just wondering, is there a fix for this? Did you guys take it back to Breville, and was there a good outcome?
                    Just come back here and see what's going on.
                    The PF drop-off cannot be easily fixed permanently so the best way to please yourself is to hold the PF every time you make a cup of coffee. It simply takes 30 ~ 40 secs.

For such a cost effective dual boiler machine, sometimes you need to forgive the imperfection.

Cheers

Comment

i have had this once or twice in 11 happy months with my bes900xl (yes, i'm a yank). phil chimed in on a usa forum that the seal needs to be bone-dry, as does the rim of the basket when you lock it in. this _seems_ to have solved it for me.

-peter

Comment

Portafilter drop solution

Problem: Portafilter pops out during extraction
                        Cause: Oil residue on the group head gasket
                        Solution: Lock the portafilter couple a times through a paper towel or thin cloth during your regular after session cleaning
                        -No more PF drops for me

Cheers,
                        Dennis
                        Last edited by DEHiCKA; 27 December 2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEHiCKA View Post
                          Problem: Portafilter pops out during extraction

Dennis
                          It's a design flaw, shouldn't happen until machine has had many years of use and the PF or group head collar are very worn.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            It's a design flaw, shouldn't happen until machine has had many years of use and the PF or group head collar are very worn.
                            Yes, I think it's a little flaw. Seal has too fine surface and don't hold PF well with an oil inbetween.
                            I really like this machine and PF pop out is the only problem I have so far, but additional 10-15 seconds to the cleaning routine is not a problem for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X