How to de-scale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to de-scale...

Just opened my machine and parts are stuck closed with limescale.

Whats the best way to remove scale?

Re: How to de-scale...

Use a product like "Cleanmachine triple action" from one of our sponsors and follow the instructions on the bottle plus any instructions you can find for your particular machine.

Warren

Comment

Hello nothing,

Use the quick search function: >>>>>^^^^^ and you will find plenty of discussion...

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thanks Warren, but Im in Africa....

Chris - you caught me out for being lazy! :P

Comment

Great advice here "sans"....

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274615034

Mal.

Comment

Hiya Mal!

I found that thread, but they discuss HX machines and mine is a vintage La Cimbali with boiler,,,

Hey, nice chatting again!

Comment

If you have silmultaneous steam and shots, your machine is a HX as all of them one have a boiler!

If you press a button and wait for steam, then its a single boiler machine in which case you follow the instructions and fill the tank

Try a search on descale silvia

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thanks, Chris -

but its waaaay beyond doing a normal de-scale. I scraped the gunk out with a wooden spatula, there was so much and its caked to my machine.

I need some kind of liquid to let the parts lie in, in order to break up the scale, and to maybe paint onto areas that I cannot remove.

Also, its about 40 yrs old and not able to pull a shot and steam at once.

Comment

Sounds like a case of disassembly and a bucket to me nothing. Away from the machine you could use citric if you wanted but good descaler will be quicker. You can buy a 1kg tub of Bombora activated descaler for $40 and it will go a looooong way

Comment

Yeah, Ive already started stripping the machine, but will have to find a local equivalent of this descaler. Shipping to Joburg will be more than the machine.

Still, with forums like this one, Im sure Ill succeed!

Comment

I use citric acid, available in powder form from a health food shop, I add 2 tablepoons to 1 litre of warm water and stir.

From the description of your machine, you may need to descale more than once. Does you water tank have a water filter?

Some use vinegar but I prefer citric acid as it rinses out well.

Youtube can be your friend too.

Comment

Once again, neither citric acid nor vinegar should be used inside machines. Disassemble them and do whatever you like, but these two acids cause more porblems than they solve.

Comment

Working...
                        X