Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 leaking grouphead at startup / when using hot water spout

Hi all,
    First post here and unfortunately not with good news...

I have a 6 month old EM6910 bought from new. Few weeks ago I noticed that water was leaking / dripping from the group head shower screen (without the group handle on) when I start the machine and the water is heating up. Once the startup is finished the leak stops.

I also noticed at around the same time that the same leak would happen (although more severely) when I use the hot water spout.

Ive had a search through the forums but havent been able to find anthing on this issue. Anyone have any ideas? Other problem is I bought in SA but have since moved to Jakarta (indonesia) so getting it repared under warrenty isnt an option for me.

Thanks

Re: EM6910 leaking grouphead at startup / when using hot water spout

Originally posted by 592A2A687B687B2C231A0 link=1317170149/0#0 date=1317170149
    Few weeks ago I noticed that water was leaking / dripping from the group head shower screen (without the group handle on) when I start the machine and the water is heating up.  Once the startup is finished the leak stops. 

I also noticed at around the same time that the same leak would happen (although more severely) when I use the hot water spout.
    Sounds like a sticky solenoid. Try descaling the machine first, that often helps loosen up things again.

Comment

thanks Shs,
      ill give it a try tonight

Comment

ok descaled but still apperas to be leaking. Would it be worth running a few descaling cycles? The water I use is spring water which may be high in calcium and causeing excessive buildup.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A29296B786B782F20190 link=1317170149/3#3 date=1317255621
          ok descaled but still apperas to be leaking.  Would it be worth running a few descaling cycles?  The water I use is spring water which may be high in calcium and causeing excessive buildup.
          Hmmm, it may be that you could have damaged the machine, especially if youre running high-mineral-content spring water in it without filtering first...

Id say run descaling a couple more times, if this doesnt fix it, well, You might have kitchen art. :-/

Comment

I dont know what the problem is, but just throwing this out there.

When was the last time you did a chemical backwash?

Comment

Originally posted by 282B3E38323A372B3A352F285B0 link=1317170149/5#5 date=1317281278
              I dont know what the problem is, but just throwing this out there.

When was the last time you did a chemical backwash?
              If you mean have I done a cleaning cycle with a cleaning tablet then no. Dont know where to access them from here in Jakarta. May have to order from australia.

Comment

Originally posted by 582B2B697A697A2D221B0 link=1317170149/3#3 date=1317255621
                ok descaled but still apperas to be leaking.  Would it be worth running a few descaling cycles?  The water I use is spring water which may be high in calcium and causing excessive build-up.
                Remove the shower screens and unscrew the anti drip shower screw and check the silicon anti drip insert.  Youll probably find that it is either very dirty or damaged.  In either case this will stop the valve from sealing.

Comment

Sounds like your anti-drip valve is not functioning properly.

If this is the case, water will drip from the group head whilst the hot water tap is switched on. You could try taking of the shower screen, and undoing the Anti-Drip screw yourself using a size 12 socket. Be very careful when putting it back in, as it is brass and tightening it up too much will cause it to crack/snap.

Once its removed, check that the blue valve is sitting comfortably, that the spring isnt snapped/gone slack, and that there is no gunk stuck up into the thermo block.

I once fixed a machine which the anti-calcium filter mesh had split and the small anti-calc crystals were all through the thermoblock and copper pipes.

Goodluck!

Comment

Originally posted by 50574E5D4A5B4A595E4C0A380 link=1317170149/8#8 date=1318316624
                    If this is the case, water will drip from the group head whilst the hot water tap is switched on. You could try taking of the shower screen, and undoing the Anti-Drip screw yourself using a size 12 socket. Be very careful when putting it back in, as it is brass and tightening it up too much will cause it to crack/snap.
                    Any guides with images to do this? Ive found plenty of guides showing how to take of the shower screen but thats it. Just want to make sure I know what im in for before proceeding.

Comment

it sounds like you may need to replace your brewhead seal

Comment

Originally posted by 474E48444C290 link=1317170149/10#10 date=1318562635
                        it sounds like you may need to replace your brewhead seal
                        I dont think the problem has arisen as a result of a worn group head seal though

Comment

Originally posted by 4E455D574B4A48414B53240 link=1317170149/11#11 date=1318565427
                          I dont think the problem has arisen as a result of a worn group head seal though
                          Id have to agree, the unit is only six months old and only used once or twice on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F58415245544556514305370 link=1317170149/8#8 date=1318316624
                            Sounds like your anti-drip valve is not functioning properly.
                            Looks like you were right Espress Oh.  Did as you instructed, removed shower screen and anti drip bolt.  Noticed that the bolt was almost loose (ie no pressure required to undo), had a look at the blue float and had some black particles on it (coffee gunk?), cleaned it off and checked spring which was ok.  Then put it all back together by first screwing in the bolt and tightening with a nip.  Then put the showerscreen on. 

I then tested the machine and hot water spout and got no leakage so problem fixed.   ;D

Then did a decalc cycle and found more of the black particles in the water (6 to 8 in total).  Bit surprised that coffee particles can get up into the plumbing...  never-the-less its fixed so thanks again Espress Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X